IGNORED

Route (and company?) from Nashville, TN to UN

Bill_Walker

As you may have seen in this thread, I was looking to do a "fly and rent" to the UN. Our erstwhile proprietor, Mr. Baker, has (overly) graciously offered me the use of his GS, since he can't attend (I may have to promise not to mention a certain oft-posted photo), so I'll be flying in to Nashville, TN (not Nashville, IL!), arriving on the morning of Sunday, Sept. 2. I've got a reservation at the Quality Inn beginning the night of Monday, Sept. 3. So, I've basically got 1-1/2 days to ride from Nashville to Fayetteville. Which way should I go? And of course I have the return ride, too. I need to be back in Nashville on Saturday 9/8 for a flight on Sunday morning.

David has suggested the following beginning:

"In terms of route, I'd recommend that you head SE on I-24 to Murfreesboro, go east on 70 to McMinnville, and from just outside there, pick up 30, following it all the way across I-75, after which you take 39 until it deadends into 68 at Tellico Plains. That's the western terminus of the Cherohala Skyway, which you absolutely MUST ride."

Looking at the map, my first thought was to cut over to Asheville and pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway. I missed the part between Asheville and I-77 when I rode it last summer. But I'm sure there are other interesting roads of which I'm unaware.

So, any ideas out there? Anybody else riding from anywhere near Nashville on those dates?

One thing that's probably obvious, but I'm going to mention it so I don't forget, is that this is Labor Day weekend. So I'm guessing I'll want to stay away from some of the major attractions, whatever they may be. Deal's Gap sounds like a good place to avoid, judging from all the photos we've seen. Anything else to avoid? The BRP?

Archived