IGNORED

Torx vs Star

GordonB

I am humbled to ask....

Is there a difference between the two? blush.gif

And while we are at it; T20 thru T50 in 5 T increments, is that all I'll need (in torx sizes) for working on the RT?

I'm not sure if there is officially such thing as a "Star." But at any rate BMW bikes definitely use the "Torx" sizes. My set has T-10 through T-50 in 5 increments. On the R1200GS there is also E (as in "External") Torx in a couple of places. Not sure about the R1200RT though.

On the R1200GS there is also E (as in "External") Torx in a couple of places. Not sure about the R1200RT though.

An external torx is required to remove the gearshift lever on the R12RT - probably other places as well.

Jim VonBaden

And one oddball, the T-27, which is used in various places on the bike.

Remember one important rule with Torx: If it is too big to fit go one size down. If it fits, try one size up.

It is easy to use a size too small and strip the screw head.

Jim cool.gif

I think the "star" term is just for marketing. I think some consumers confuse "torx" with "torque". They are the same thing.

I needed a tiny like a T6 to remove the power cable on my garmin cradle. I finally found a mini set at Lowe's. My local hardware didn't have anything under a T10.

Overall it's definitely a superior fastener compared to a "hex" or "allen" fastener which are still genrally better than a phillips head.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I am humbled to ask....

Wiki on Torx

They show a bunch of different screw drive types; don't see a "star" type.

I am humbled to ask....

Wiki on Torx

They show a bunch of different screw drive types; don't see a "star" type.

From the link above........

People unfamiliar with the trademark generally use the term star, as in "star screwdriver" or "star bits". The generic name is hexalobular internal driving feature

Archived