IGNORED

Did that SUV throw stuff at me?

awagnon

I was riding my R1150R back from the Stanley Stomp on a long, straight section of I-84 in the middle of no-where when I was passed by a very large SUV. Just as it passed, two soda cans came flying out the passenger side window at me. Seems like more than a mere coincidence that they just happened to throw out the cans at that moment. I have to believe it was intentional. I wasn't able to get the license plate number since they passed so fast and I was so surprised. Had I gotten the plate number, would it have done any good for me to call the Highway Patrol?

Why are you letting a SUV pass you? You should always be passing them. It may have done you some emotional satisfaction to call the highway patrol. In reality the dispatcher would take the information and broadcast a description of the vehicle to area units in the event it is seen. Since you did not have a license plate number or a description of the occupants who tossed the sodas, not much would happen even if the SUV was seen and stopped. All the occupants would deny any knowledge of what they did to you. Without witnesses, it's your word against their word.

In the future, match your speed to the SUV, memorize the plate and get a look at the occupants, then call the LEO's. Better yet, just ride in the fast lane and keep vehicles you are overtaking in front of you. Never let something sneak up behind you.

I was riding my R1150R back from the Stanley Stomp on a long, straight section of I-84 in the middle of no-where when I was passed by a very large SUV. Just as it passed, two soda cans came flying out the passenger side window at me. Seems like more than a mere coincidence that they just happened to throw out the cans at that moment. I have to believe it was intentional. I wasn't able to get the license plate number since they passed so fast and I was so surprised. Had I gotten the plate number, would it have done any good for me to call the Highway Patrol?

It might have done some good to call the HP. I had someone throw a beer bottle at me while jogging one night...years ago. If it had hit me in the head, it would have killed me. I think people are generally stupid and I act accordingly.

I had a lady hit me with a lit cig she threw out her window. She stopped at the red light with her window still down and I told her a thing or two. Turned out she had absolutely no idea I was there even though she had just passed me. Still, I'd say attempted murder might well apply to intentional attack with a soda can. I think the cops would have taken it seriously given that the attack could have caused death.

Jan

Attempted murder it is not. It is a serious felony if you can prove the intent, especially if injuries are involved. Here is the law in California. Presumably other states have similar statutes.

23110. (a) Any person who throws any substance at a vehicle or any

occupant thereof on a highway is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) Any person who with intent to do great bodily injury

maliciously and willfully throws or projects any rock, brick, bottle,

metal or other missile, or projects any other substance capable of

doing serious bodily harm at such vehicle or occupant thereof is

guilty of a felony and upon conviction shall be punished by

imprisonment in the state prison.

BTW, someone tossed a lit cigarette out at me while I was lane splitting. Fortunately it hit the windshield of my police Harley. Yep, she got a stub from me.

Can't say in your particular incident, but I've certainly had things clearly intentionally thrown at me, in particular cigarette butts flicked at me at stop lights.

REALLY pisses me off when I'm in my convertible car and they are obviously trying to see if they can land it inside.

I had a lady hit me with a lit cig she threw out her window. She stopped at the red light with her window still down and I told her a thing or two. Turned out she had absolutely no idea I was there even though she had just passed me.

Yep, had that happen, too. Also been spit at and had drinks dumped out the window in my direction - some days I feel like Nicholas Cage in Weatherman.

Unless you can absolutely tell that it was intentional, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just coincidence. I doubt if most people realize the trajectory of the stuff they toss out the window.

Just another reminder to ride defensively, anticipate the worst and expect the unexpected.

Why are you letting a SUV pass you? You should always be passing them.

I was already going 80 mph and there was a very fierce cross wind. That's the best I felt comfortable with at the time. I honestly believe it was intentional that they threw the cans.

thats just awful...and rude...and could have cause you to go down. wonder if they had any clue how dangerous that was?

sometimes people just suck! eek.gif

BTW, someone tossed a lit cigarette out at me while I was lane splitting. Fortunately it hit the windshield of my police Harley. Yep, she got a stub from me.

Good for you. I'm getting tired of cigarette butts coming out of cars cause they don't want to polute their car. But they don't mind setting fires etc.

So how much of a fine would she have to pay for a ticket like that?

Why are you letting a SUV pass you? You should always be passing them.

I was already going 80 mph and there was a very fierce cross wind. That's the best I felt comfortable with at the time. I honestly believe it was intentional that they threw the cans.

It was intentional - cans don't fly very well until they are given a little help.

A quick twist of the wrist and you could have got the plate#. I would have called the cops. And it would be for littering, not throwing stuff at you. lmao.gif

That sucks, glad you were ok. I have had a passenger look right at me and flick a cigarette butt in my direction....people are people....but the best ever was years ago I was riding along late one night on I-5 in Seattle when a SUV went by with a passenger who didn’t look right to me, but I was not sure why....a few seconds later as the SUV pulled ahead by 50 ft or so the window opened and a head popped out....at the last moment I realized what was happening and immediately moved over a lane just as a wall of vomit flew by....don't know if I would have crashed but it would have been unpleasant....

Probably did throw it at you, some people are just plain stupid, seriously stupid. I'm glad it didn't bean ya. I'm sure it won't be the last things someone with no brain tosses your way.

I'm trying to recall some of the things thrown at me in 3 plus decades of riding. Numerous cigarette butts, cans, bottles, frizbees, and even a large pretzel. Go figure. None of them match the jock strap that was tossed out of the window of a busload of football players through the sunroof of my VW in the 70's. Landed right on my head...........ooouuuuuu uuuuucccckkkkkk!

Effervescent

I don't get too worked up over stuff like this. Then again I am in NYC so it takes a lot to phase me.

A college prof once metioned that there's a certain "a-hole percentage" out there. Basically, a certain percentage of the general population are a-holes and that it's nothing personal. When you stumble across them, realize it's just the law of averages and be happy to have them exit your life as quickly as they entered.

I guess it's just a letting go kinda thing. Works for me MOST of the time.

-Eff

Good point Eff.

I remember a comedian years ago talked about how each driver is assigned 5 randomly selected a-holes to drive near you at all times. The problem is caused when your a-holes have the rest of their a-holes with them, that's how traffic jams begin.

I noticed when we drove to San Antonio in July that it was really pleasant once we got west of Houston. I guess our a-holes got caught up with their a-holes because by the time we got back into Houston, traffic was terrible! dopeslap.gif

A college prof once metioned that there's a certain "a-hole percentage" out there. Basically, a certain percentage of the general population are a-holes and that it's nothing personal. When you stumble across them, realize it's just the law of averages and be happy to have them exit your life as quickly as they entered.

Reminds me of what my grandfather used to say. "Every once in a while, someone will remind you how many bastards there are in this world." Same thing.

Can't say in your particular incident, but I've certainly had things clearly intentionally thrown at me, in particular cigarette butts flicked at me at stop lights.

REALLY pisses me off when I'm in my convertible car and they are obviously trying to see if they can land it inside.

I had some a hole throw a cigarette but at me as I was passing him in a passing zone. He threw the butt out too early and it missed me. I gave him the universal JO motion followed by the bird.

He was doing about 35 in a 40. once around him, I hit about 80, did a u-turn and headed towards him. He must have known it was me as he did the same gestures to me. It was priceless to see his smile quickly fade as I threw a quarter at his windshield as I passed him.

That sure made me feel better.

BTW - I know he threw it at me on purpose since the cigarette was almost full length.

Attempted murder it is not. It is a serious felony if you can prove the intent, especially if injuries are involved. Here is the law in California. Presumably other states have similar statutes.

23110. (a) Any person who throws any substance at a vehicle or any

occupant thereof on a highway is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) Any person who with intent to do great bodily injury

maliciously and willfully throws or projects any rock, brick, bottle,

metal or other missile, or projects any other substance capable of

doing serious bodily harm at such vehicle or occupant thereof is

guilty of a felony and upon conviction shall be punished by

imprisonment in the state prison.

Well, I've been thinking about this. If the prosecutor can prove no intent (a) applies. If the prosecutor can prove intent to do great bodily harm (b) applies.

However, if the prosecutor can prove intent to kill, then I would think attempted murder would be applicable. If you could show that the person throwing the object was aware that it could kill, e.g. perhaps by showing that he was a motorcyclist himself and would therefore be aware of the potential consequences, I would think you might be well on your way to showing intent to kill. Add a bit of testimony from another passenger perhaps to bolster it a bit, and you might well have a case.

Why waste a quarter? Try carrying a couple of old nuts and bolts. Quarters don't come off bikes. With nuts and bolts you can said they must have come loose and fell off the bike.

Hey Al...

I have heard that there are more horses asses in this world than there are horses... Looks like you may have found one or two to the non horse kind.

I used to get upset at stuff like that. In fact, not all that long ago I was behind a car and this fat girl kept throwing peanut hulls out the passenger window. I could not believe how fast she was shucking those nuts. At a stop light I pulled up on the passenger side and told her in a fairly aggressive voice that the world was not her 'freaking" (or something like that) garbage can and to keep it to herself.

but I digress...

Now my motto is "Living Good is the best Revenge"

Archived