IGNORED

Suggestions for a $200 flip helmet

eddd

A friend is finally ready to dip his toe into the world of flip helmets, but since he's not sure, and no dealer will give him a weekend "test ride"...he wants to go with a reasonably priced one to start. He keeps telling me $200 is his limit, but he really wants one that is less.

Any suggestions? Other than the price, it should be relatively quiet (he does wear ear plugs) and have shields that can be easily changed. And one last thing...he likes the way my flip's shield will open about 1/2 to 1 inch.

Thanks for the suggestions

If he likes yours, perhaps he should buy one like yours. I can't think of any item that is a better place to spend "too much" money. Of course it IS easy for me to spend his money......

If he likes yours, perhaps he should buy one like yours. I can't think of any item that is a better place to spend "too much" money. Of course it IS easy for me to spend his money......

He can't get mine on his head ( he's in the Extra Large size)...so that eliminates the most obvious solution.

I'll pass along the other suggestions. Thanks

Fulmer has a flip-face helmet that can be bought in bike shops for under $200, but your friend should avoid it.

After I bought one, the DOT did a spot-check test. The DOT found the Fulmer failed the test, and ordered a recall. I phoned Fulmer, and they feigned that there was no recall, even though the DOT told me there was one. Turned out Fulmer spent the better part of a year petitioning the DOT to avoid a recall, while their hapless customers were riding around with defective lids. IMO it's a bad company.

I have a Fulmer but it is fairly noisy. I'm looking for a helmet with a better neck roll. Currently eying a HJC something that has a neck roll all the way up to the flip face.

The Nolan is noisey without earplugs, but if he wears them it is not an issue, however the faceshield is not a quick change.

One thing to check on these is how the chinbar attaches to the rest of the helmet. Many manufacturers use plastic latches. So you have a full face helmet for the initial impact, but have a good chance of being in a 3/4 helmet for the rest of the slide down the pavement.

4 years ago when I bought my Nolan, they and Shoei were the only ones using metal that I found. I recently ditched my Nolan in the middle of a 9000 mile trip because of the noise and it leaked like a screen door on a submarine. I have been very happy with my Shoei Multitec, but that is out of his price range.

I have both the Symax and Nolan N 102. The Nolan is better made and a better helmet IMHO. It is also quieter than the HJC. The HJC is lighter though. Both can be had around the price he's looking to pay.

I have both the Symax and Nolan N 102. The Nolan is better made and a better helmet IMHO. It is also quieter than the HJC. The HJC is lighter though. Both can be had around the price he's looking to pay.

It's funny. I've got both too and think the HJC is SO much quieter. It's not even close. It goes to show you that there are so many factors, how it fits, how you sit, how much wind you catch, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da. It's really a crap shoot.

It is that crap shoot that makes me hesitant anytime I look for a new helmet. You just never know until you've ridden hundres of miles under varying conditions.

I have my 2nd Zeus 508W flip-up after a "friend" totalled my 06 RT against a stop sign and came to rest against a hedge post. Damage was $13000 to the bike but the helmet, although it took terrific shots on top when the sign post tried to cut his head off and a hard impact against the front of the face bar was relatively undamaged. After considering Nolan, HJC and other brands, I bought a replacement ZEUS.

Fit is great, it has a 3/4" stop on the face shield for "just a little bit of air" and sells for $89 including freight from Trax Motorsports (They seem to have a good selection of colors in stock, and they sell lots of other brands) No, I'm not connected to the company in any way. Haven't tried to change the face shield yet.

http://traxms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc...Product_Count=1

Archived