IGNORED

Mr. Glen McIntosh's last ride..........

shatzbot10

Sorry for the glibness of this post, but I've tried, without success, to get an account from the others on this forum of just how a mature experienced rider, like 'Gleno' met his fate. What further cautions should we riders not overlook. ANYONE?

Glen was riding down the street at night below the posted speed limit when someone pulled out from a driveway without seeing him. He impacted the side of it.

Not much more that he could have done other than jumping off the bike in order to avoid the impact.

I may have answered this one for you before, but here's the link to most of the things that were written about Glen during the 90 days after his passing.

Once you get to the link, at the bottom, you will find other links to the thread about his passing, painfully heartfelt poems, videos and other rememberances.

As to the specifics of his passing, his wife Teresa is still a member of this board and frequents this place. Out of respect to her presence, details will likely not be forthcoming from any of us as she is still dealing with her incredible loss, as well as a legal battle with the driver of the other vehicle. However, to summarize, it was evening, he was riding through a residential area at no more than the speed limit, and someone who claims not to have seen him, pulled out in front of him leaving almost no room for braking or evasive action. Glen had been riding for most of his life, had taken motorcycle training courses, regularly did Track Days to sharpen his skills and reflexes.

Oh, and one more thing. He was coming home from a meeting of his local motorcycle club, of which he was president, and which he attended with the specific intention of rallying the membership to donate blood for the father of a member who had been injured in an accident. THAT was the kind of man he was. I suggest you thoroughly absorb all of the links I've given you access to in order to more fully understand the scope of the man, his presence on this board (and on many other boards) and exactly what you're suggesting you'd like to step into.

If you'd like to use Glen and these specifics as a foundation for a discussion, I wouldn't recommend it as the pain is still too great for his wife as well as for many members here and you might not make any friends doing so. In fact, I can guarantee it.

If you want to start some form of generic discussion about safety and drivers pulling out in front of you, and keep Glen COMPLETELY out of it, that would probably be the prefered and most productive way to go about it.

I don't know you personally, although I do hope to meet you some day. So let me offer this piece of advice. When it domes to Glen McIntosh, tread lightly. VERY lightly.

By now, you're obviously well aware of the fact that Glen can be a very touchy and passionate topic for many here. For my part I just want to pull forward the idea that we would be ill advised to delve into the specifics of the event. The pending legal case makes internet exposure of ideas and supposition about the circumstances of Glen's death a poor idea.

The pending legal case makes internet exposure of ideas and supposition about the circumstances of Glen's death a poor idea.

Not to mention, poor taste as well.

Having lost my older brother to an auto accident, I've never appreciated anyone asking me what happened. It's just plain rude.

I have met this lady who lost her son in a motorcycle crash, failed to yield also. She is putting all her energy into putting up billboards for motorcycle safety. Maybe get one up in honor of Mr. Glen Mclntosh. Just throwing out an idea. She got a whole bunch already out there I was at the first press conference in Tallahassee.

http://www.kmc-sports.com/motorcycleinfo.html

Probably so. But we discuss and analyze other accidents to minute detail here so the comments in this thread seem to be setting aside this particular case. Understandable perhaps since it's different when the victim is someone you know well, but maybe we shouldn't be so quick to jump down this guys throat either.

Out of respect, I feel it would prudent to end this thread as it is. Any one wishing to continue discussion on motorcycle safety, please start another thread with a new subject.

Out of respect, I feel it would prudent to end this thread as it is. Any one wishing to continue discussion on motorcycle safety, please start another thread with a new subject.

I never met him but I can feel the great loss here. I second the motion to close this thread.

Probably so. But we discuss and analyze other accidents to minute detail here so the comments in this thread seem to be setting aside this particular case. Understandable perhaps since it's different when the victim is someone you know well, but maybe we shouldn't be so quick to jump down this guys throat either.

I agree. I took FB's comments to warn a newbie where the sh1t is so that he doesn't step in it. But if the comments had been directed at the rest of us, well, I'm not smellin' that. There was no person who treated nothing as sacred more than Gleno, so once all the legal stuff is done, I'm not treating his death any differently or more special than any other of my friends. And I earned that right because I did have a relationship with him.

Gleno was not a God when he was alive, and he certainly isn't one now that he's dead. He was a human with wonderful strengths and glaring weaknesses, and I'm looking forward to the time when we can drop the canonization track and get back to authenticity.

If you'd like to use Glen and these specifics as a foundation for a discussion, I wouldn't recommend it as the pain is still too great for his wife as well as for many members here and you might not make any friends doing so. In fact, I can guarantee it.

Funny you should say this Fernando. I think about Gleno all the time and wonder how Theresa is doing. You know that I've chipped in every time that help has been asked. This isn't going away for me either.

That said, I wish you should ask Theresa if we can talk about this; if you think you can broach the subject. That news clip talking about the wreckless nature in Las Vegas really shook me up and makes me sick. The problem is it occurs all too frequently every where. I think an awful lot about how do I get past this. I ride all too often now with a bit more anxiety in street traffic. I've been riding all my life and I'm not giving it up. But I would like to experience the zone a little more.

The only thing that I've been able to come up with is if we somehow make some good come out of this. How do we educate the public about the damage they do to us and our families when they do crappy things to us? I've had a rash of close calls. I can't tell if it has always happened and I just dealt with it and now I am more sensitive, or if the driving public is just getting more aggressive to motorcycle riders.

I know that you are still dealing with this. But we all deal with tragedy in our own ways. If a new member sees all the history, their loss is that they will never get to know Gleno. I personally don't want to guarantee to that person that I'll not like them because they are trying to make sense of this.

There was no person who treated nothing as sacred more than Gleno, so once all the legal stuff is done, I'm not treating his death any differently or more special than any other of my friends. And I earned that right because I did have a relationship with him.

Apart from Terri's feelings and her desire to maintain contact with this board and all of the friends housed here, the legal thing is a very important piece. It is likely to be a long process. While Glen could get a laugh out of just about anything, I doubt that the long term well being of his wife would be one of them. All of us, Terri most of all, know that Glen was hardly seeking sainthood. He was well aware of his weaknesses and, in fact, he downplayed many of his "good works" preferring to do them just because he figured that's how people should treat each other. The most important reason to avoid the speculation and opininion likely to arise out of any discussion of the incident, is that Terri's future could depend on the facts staying clear.

It's primarily for Terri's benefit and that of her family that we won't entertain the topic of the circumstances of Glen's death until all of the legal proceedings are closed.

Archived