IGNORED

rt1100 stock seat

richd

needed to change seat.. out of all options i went with a sargent.. I hope I made the right choice.. any 1100 or 1150 riders please let me know what you think.. thank you

Everybody's butt is different. We found the Sargent's uncomfortable on our RT, the next person who post may say they are great!

A custom seat will usually feel much better than a stock solution. The Sargent seat like the Corbin is rather expensive when considering a custom seat to match your arse like a Rick Mayer ($269.00 front seat) or Russel Day Long ($550.00 front seat).

If you can't find the dough right now for a better than stock seat, you might want to try this. At Bed Bath and Beyond, they have seat cushions for formal dining chairs.($10 ea.) The bottom surface is anti-slip so it does not slide off the stock BMW seat even if you raise your butt at freeway speeds. Cut open the seam and start removing the padding from the center of the seat as well as the front middle and front sides. This will leave a pocket in the middle for your tail bone and it will be built up along the rear and sides to give more surface area supporting your rear end.

Removing much of the padding in the front leaves room for your scrotum not to get mushed like the stock seat does with ease. (I think the Germans are laughing at us every time they install a stock seats on a new bike.)

Removing a lot of the padding from the front sides allows you to stand up straight and let your feet reach the ground with ease. (unlike many of the custom seats as well as the Sargent or Corbin... they accomplish comfort by raising the entire seat.)

The advantage is you can add or remove the stuffing to make the seat comfortable to your specific needs and store it in the luggage when not in use. It also allows for multiple positions yielding comfort rather than 1 fixed position with custom seats.

I will try to attach a picture later on.

You will need to try it. If it doesn't work for you, it will be easy to sell. If I were tall enough, I would go for the Russell. Since I am not, I bought a Rick Meyer special short version - can go forever.

I had a Corbin on my Nighthawk. It was a vast improvement over the stock foam.

I have the BMW "Comfort Seat" on my 1100RT. So far, it's been good enough for me that I haven't had to look elsewhere.

What'll probably happen... the seat will arrive, you'll put it on, remember how much it cost and viola - it's the BEST SEAT EVER!!!

Be sure to let us know what you think when you get it. Your comparison review could be helpful to the rest of us.

I have a Sargent seat on my '97 RT and have been happy with it for about nine years now. But like it's said YMMV. Everybody's butt is a little different and you'll have to see for yourself. The Sargent is on the firm side and takes some break in time. Also, for your ref., in the summer I ride with a sheepskin cover that helps keep my butt cool. They don't do much to the passenger seat other than recover if that is important to you. For the passenger, there's better seats out there.

Here is the picture I promised. It is a cheap fix. When I bought this bike and had a 250 mile ride home, I went numb in 50 miles. I used this seat (which no one really sees when riding) on a trip from Michigan to Oshkosh Wisconsin earlier this month. We rode 750 miles in 13 hours and I never got uncomfortable.

908473-P1000259b.jpg.f3a2ef28954711169b7fdec6fc483044.jpg

the last thing i want to do is add sheepskin to a $350 new saddle.. doesn't make sense.. I will just have to wait and see if i like it.. thank you.

I have owned my 2000 R1100RT for almost 4 months now. I bought it in L.A and rode it to Salt Lake City. After The first 35 miles I knew the stock seat HAD TO GO!!! I recieved my Sargent seat 2 weeks ago, and have ridden 400 miles in one trip. It is alot more comfortable than the stock seat, though It did add about 1" in height at the seat and at 5'6" I can still move the bike around ok. The seat I bought was used, so I dont know about Break-in. I will, however use my sheepskin on any trip over about 75 miles in hot weather as it allows my arse to breath and not sweat against the sargent. I found that out the hard way on my Goldwing. I cant say you will like the Sargent for sure,but if you buy new, you can return it within 30 days!!

908473-P1000259b.jpgRemoving much of the padding in the front leaves room for your scrotum not to get mushed like the stock seat does with ease.

I just gotta ask, is that what red outline is showing us? eek.gif

Archived