IGNORED

BMW Nav II GPS Basic Questions

hopz

Yesterday I took delivery of my new to me 05 R12RT and i love it (obviously).

Included was the NavII which was on the bike- but unfortunately the previous owner was not thoughtful enough to leave the manuals and CD that goes with it.

I would appreciate hearing from someone who has the Nav II on a hexhead.

I have long list of questions, for example... what causes it to turn on? When I did the demo ride it was not on. A week later when I rode it home- it was on. I have no idea what was done to make it operate.

There is a cable that splits into two connecting cables... what are they and why two? Is one sending data and the other power?

In the near term I plan to remove the Nav II and install my Zumo. Any convenient sources of switched power for the Zumo?

By convenient I mean plugs... I could cut and tap but prefer not to take that option if a better alternative exists. And, by the way- I do know about the zumo forum.. I am the moderator over there.

Anyone have a feel for the value of the Nav II like on Ebay? Or classifieds? I will want to sell it, but have no clue on its value on the secondary market.

Thanks

Aluminum_Butt

The NavII is a Garmin 2610.

I suspect that the cable you're talking about is the combination power and audio cable. There is a 1/8" mono audio jack and the power block on the cable.

The power switch is on the right side (at least it is on the 2610). Any chance the switch was off during your demo ride, but on during the ride home?

As to value - you already know that it's worth a lot less without the CD. That said, refurb 2610's are selling for abut $250. Used SP3's still bring $100-$150. Seems like these should set your range...but I'm not sure if anyone is willing to pay a premium because of the Roundel and ease of connecting/mounting.

...but I'm not sure if anyone is willing to pay a premium because of the Roundel and ease of connecting/mounting.

FWIW, the Nav II is designed for motorcycle use with more/better weatherproofing and adds big navigation buttons along the left side for gloved hands.

...but I'm not sure if anyone is willing to pay a premium because of the Roundel and ease of connecting/mounting.

FWIW, the Nav II is designed for motorcycle use with more/better weatherproofing and adds big navigation buttons along the left side for gloved hands.

And BMW dealers already added?

Used 2610's are in the $199 range right now.

Aluminum_Butt

And BMW dealers already added?

Yes, but the dataset on a 2610 is probably nearing four years old. How many of the dealers in the list are still around? grin.giftongue.gif

Oh come on, the nav 2 is a 2610 with 4 extra buttons. Extra waterproofing...right. lmao.gif

I just bought a 2610 for my next trip to europe/it holds everything/my 2730 only holds a slice. I uploaded a current list of bmw dealers...took about 15 seconds.

Unless you like extra buttons or can get the nav 2 for free, it's a joke.

Actually I owe everyone a big Duh... dopeslap.gif since I found the Basic Operations Book hidden in my stack of stuff. The switch is on the side. I think but will confirm that the Mapsource I use for the Zumo will plan and communicate routes to the NavII- So I can copy a DVD for someone to use.

Looks like I can find a plug to match the place the NavII connects...

Thanks for your help.

Zumo rules!

Bob

Aluminum_Butt

Oh come on, the nav 2 is a 2610 with 4 extra buttons. Extra waterproofing...right.

Well, I've actually heard rumors (mostly on AdvRider) that the Nav II had "rubber mounted circuit boards to guard against vibration" and other similar bits, but never saw anything concrete. I went searching and found this article which does describe some differences. "More waterproof" isn't one of them, but the housing and screen are apparently resistant to gasoline vapors/spills. If you have a BMW comm system, it sounds like the Nav 2 mount makes integration a breeze. But otherwise, it's pretty much a 2610 with extra buttons.

To the OP: I also read that you should NOT download use the 2610 firmware to update the Nav 2 because of some of the hardware specific to the cradle. Supposedly, BMW has a site where the download is available. YMMV.

To the OP: I also read that you should NOT download use the 2610 firmware to update the Nav 2 because of some of the hardware specific to the cradle. Supposedly, BMW has a site where the download is available. YMMV.

Garmin's WebUpdater handles this just fine. Originally, you had to get updates from BMW, but that hasn't been the case for a while now.

Archived