IGNORED

Special Motolights Ring Wrench

tomrinbellingham

tomrinbellingham

I need to change the bulbs on my bike's Motolights, but I don't have the "Special Motolights Ring Wrench". Motolights doesn't answer emails and they don't seem to have this special wrench for sale.

Anyone know how I can get the retaining ring off the lights(and back on again) without tearing them up? Or where I can find a proper wrench so I can change the bulbs? confused.gif

Thanks, Tom

907959-Red4.jpg.9e4bf51e6f50d9a26e5e0511c0551aa6.jpg

russell_bynum

Have you tried calling Motolights?

Many companies are terrible about answering email. (Don't get me started about that one...if you don't plan on answering your email, don't list an email address in your "contact us" section of your website.)

Try giving them a call.

Tom,

Call Motolights and talk to Diana. She's the one person I've discovered who knows what's what. Let us know how you make out. I'll send you one of my Motolight wrenches if all else fails.

Ben

Effervescent

Why not just use one of those rubbery jar openrs sheets thingies. Then lube up the threads with anti-seize stuffie afterwards.

-Eff

It's flush mounted, so there's no surface to apply friction with the stock lens retainer. They sell optional retainers that have extended and knurled surfaces that would work as you suggest. wave.gif

Why not just use one of those rubbery jar openrs sheets thingies. Then lube up the threads with anti-seize stuffie afterwards.

-Eff

There are two styles of retainer rings on Motolights. The outside ring type you could indeed possibly grab with something as you're describing. The inside ring type need the wrench that comes with the lights.
Can you use a pair of needle nose pliers, and put the two needle points into two nubs on the ring?

This would probably work provided the tips of the pliers don't slip out of the little indentations. Otherwise, it would scratch the lens retainer in a pretty obvious spot. The Motolight wrench allows flat, even pressure.

For clarification of the earlier posts...

Standard retainer:

polished.jpg

Optional knurled retainer:

knurled_big.jpg

tomrinbellingham

Got a call and an email this morning from Diana at Motolights. Very appologetic; intern failure.... Bottom line, she's sending me both a wrench and the new groved replacement retainer so I won't need the wrench after taking the old bulbs out. clap.gif

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, but my last email to Motolights seems to have hit the spot.

Tom

Archived