IGNORED

R1100RT Cruise Control

RTRay

Does anyone make a REAL cruise control that I can put on my '97 RT? I have a throttle lock and it's ok, but I want a real automotive type cruise control for my RT. I know someone did make one a few years ago but I can't remember the name of the company. Does anyone know it?

Thanks,

Terry cool.gif

Yes, but be prepared for 'sticker shock' - MCCruise

About $675 for an 1150RT, not too terrible. Heck, if elf pegs cost $350, why not $675 for real cruise?

And, it is much better than this sticker shock:

Upgrade perfectly good 1150RT for a 1200RT with cruise, and take a $14k beating...not likely!

How do you put the Audiovox unit on an R1100RT? is there a step by step guide to installing it? I'm not a gear head but I can do almost anything mechanical if I have a good set of instructions!

Terry cool.gif

I'd steer away from the audiovox unit as it uses a bead chain and is not specifically designed for motorcycles. Read the warnings on the MCCruise site and make your own decision.

(1 very happy MCCruise customer)

(Yeah. I'm an Aussie. So what do you expect!)

Cheers,

Yes, but be prepared for 'sticker shock' - MCCruise

I have really considered this option rather than getting a 1200RT. I emailed the company in Australia to see if they would give me the name of someone in the US who had one. They gave me an email to a guy with one on a GS who likes it very much. He says it is slow to lock onto the speed, but once it does, it holds the speed very well. He also says he can't feel any difference in the throttle when not using the cruise control. He did say it was pretty complicated to install. However, the company emailed me the entire manual and installation instructions. Doesn't look that difficult, just tedious. I wish I could hear from others with the unit actually on an 1150RT.

Here it from me!!

The webikeworld review is spot on.

I rode down to their shop to have a gander at everything and purchased one on the spot. Got home and next weekend had the guts of my bike strewn all over the garage while I installed the unit. I was actually installing a GPS at the same time so it made it a bit easier but somewhat longer.

The install manual is very precise and bike model specific. Follow them and you should have no problem at all. Did all the preliminary checks and buttoned it all up, jumped on and went for a "cruise". Excellent.

The only interaction or interference with the bike itself is that you have to cut the throttle cable to link in with the cruise cable interface unit. Other than that all the electrics are patched in but are removable.

I can email the install manual to anyone interested. It makes a good read and gives you an idea of what you're up against.

Cheers,

I'd steer away from the audiovox unit as it uses a bead chain and is not specifically designed for motorcycles. Read the warnings on the MCCruise site and make your own decision.

I've installed several on my own bikes (K75RTA, ST1100, GL1200, FJ1200) as well as others', and never had a problem with the bead chain. Depending upon the application, I bypass the chain and attach directly to the bike's linkage. YMMV.

The only interaction or interference with the bike itself is that you have to cut the throttle cable to link in with the cruise cable interface unit.

Mark,

I noticed from your post and the installation instructions sent to me by Motorcycle Cruise that you have to cut and splice the throttle cable. Can you feel any change in the throttle after the install? Is it harder to turn manually? Does it hold speed close to where you set it on hills? One reveiwer told me it takes a while for it to engage. Is that true?

I'm probably going to order one now that I've heard from you with your experience with an RT. This will save me thousands of dollars because I was considering a 1200RT mainly for the cruise control. The wife will be happy. Thanks for the post.

Al,

I personally did not feel any difference however the guys thar service it have noted that it's a bit heavier than normal. I ride every day and I still feel everything is OK. (I don't think I'm in denial!!) One of the things the manual says to do is to oil the inner throttle cable once cut. This is something I declined to do as I don't believe in adding a potentially grime attracting fluid to what is essentially a dry environment. I may have added graphite powder if I'd had some at the time.

No problem on hills as long as the gear you are in is right for the incline. Pulling in the clutch or brake disengages the cruise.

Depends on what you mean by a while. It isn't instantaneous. Attain the speed you want, push the Set button and let go the throttle. It may take 1-2 seconds before it takes up and, depending on how you are travelling at the time (up / down a hill), you may feel a "surge" as the unit tries to attain the speed it calculated at time of button push.

Cheers,

First, I would recommend doing a search on the audiovox. Second, I have the unit installed on my '99 RT and really like it. I did a 3000 mile trip last march and it was great. The installation is a bit involved, but it wasn't that difficult. The most difficult part was coming up with a "splicer" for the twin throttles. I paid less than $100 with shipping and the return is great..

PM with any specific questions and I'll be glad to help. If you are interested..

I would do the Audiovox if I could get some very clear instructions on installation. If I can't I think I will put on the Australian cruise this winter.

Thanks,

Terry cool.gif

Archived