Is this a mirror tether?

psmoss

Pardon my ignorance on this one.

Is this a mirror tether? If not, what is it? It's been dangling since the first time I took the tupperware off.

I only appear to have one, and there's no obvious place for this to attach to a mirror.

tether.JPG

I could be wrong, but it looks like a ground strap to me

That's what I thought. So where does the other end go? ooo.gif

It looks like the antenna ground strap to me.

Andy

It looks like the antenna ground strap to me.

That would make sense, as the bike came sans antenna.

Does the open end just go on the backside of the antenna bolt?

I think so, I have never got as far as removing the antenna on my bike but in order to work it would need some sort of ground plane at the base of the antenna.

Andy

Yes, one end attached to the back of the antenna mounting. You can either zip tie it out of the way or remove it as without the radio, it's not needed. The other end attaches to the front subframe with one of the mirror mounting studs on the left side.

If pressed into use as a mirror tether, it would be on the bulky side but should provide excellent service.

Really anything that will keep the mirror from hitting the ground can be used as a tether. There's some utility to having one that you can remove easily when working on the bike, but there's a wide range of options from purpose built cables to fishing leaders to odd lengths of wire.

I use fishing leaders with a swivel on one end and a snap swivel on the other. Cheap precaution, even if you have to buy some at Wally's! Use 'em on my GPS's too just in case.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
If pressed into use as a mirror tether, it would be on the bulky side but should provide excellent service.

lmao.gif

In fact, if you went off a bridge and the mirror became dislodged and caught on a rail or something, the strap should keep the bike from hitting the water. lmao.gif

Archived