IGNORED

Unrally VI - GPS Routes are up!

Berkley

http://www.unrally.com

We've got 5 routes (one's a GS route) courtesy of big-t, one from webbles, and technical assistance from bobbybob and stretchmark!! Thanks guys! They look great! ... oh wait, I'm on a Mac, I can't see them! dopeslap.gif

Hope you love 'em. Shortly we'll be posting a tidbit to entice you about each route, plus the written directions.

clap.gif

If they're there for d/l, I could not find the link.

confused.gif

Me neither, even after logging in. Something must not be working Sylvia.
daveinatlanta

I was able to open and download all of the non-GS routes with the exception of Route 292. It downloaded ok but my MapSource program (V8) says the file is "not a valid MapSource file." Thinking I got a bad d/l, I did it again and MapSource gives me the same message.

Thanks for all the work to assemble these routes.

thanks dave! (but thank big-t, bobbybob, etc!!)

can someone else try to d/l the 292 route and the GPS route?

i'm going to bed now - will work on it tomorrow if there's a problem!!

I was able to open and download all of the non-GS routes with the exception of Route 292. It downloaded ok but my MapSource program (V8) says the file is "not a valid MapSource file." Thinking I got a bad d/l, I did it again and MapSource gives me the same message.

Yup, I had the same problem.

Yup, I had the same problem.

Just sent Sylva a "known-good" file for Route 292 so it should be OK as soon as she gets it posted. These should all work with Mapsource V8-NT.

daveinatlanta
what does it take to open these files ?

Mapquest, a program that comes with many Garmin GPS units. However, I believe there are conversion utilities available that can convert the gdb file into something your program may use. Suggest googling gdb convert (name of your program) -- or something similar. GPSBabel is one conversion program but I have not used it.

daveinatlanta

Another possible solution is to also post these routes in a gpx format. MapSource can save files in that structure and it may be a more universal file format than gdb.

daveinatlanta
I have re-uploaded the 292 route. Can someone try it and let me know how it goes?

I get the same error message ..'not a valid MapSource file... Strange, given that the other 4 files work fine. ??

try it again - i just found a copy of the file in my email from bobbybob - i've deleted the offending file and put this new one in its place.

**DISCLAIMER**

8/15/07 - MapSource has made some of its own adjustments to our routes. We'll be updating them and revising them to prevent this - currently, download at your own peril. Sorry about this. big-t and bobbybob are working to revise this. - Sylva

Per daveinatlanta's request, we've uploaded .gpx files for each route.

We have also revised routes 262 and 292 - the repaired versions are both available at http://www.unrally.com - anyone who has already d/l any files should go back and download the new versions as changes have been made

For anyone who missed their initial publication, go ahead and download the GPS routes and written directions without reservations smile.gif

Enjoy!

And, of course: Please be aware that directions, distances, and times (where listed) may not always be accurate; please use common sense when required smile.gif .

I wonder if the MapSource revisions only affected the display on a PC but not the actual routing in a GPS. .....

I'm not a MapSource expert (I even erroneously called it MapQuest) but the route files looked fine to me. At least the routes were on roads, always a nice feature lmao.gif and they had a beginning and an end.

They just took us off some of the features of the routes that we wanted you to experience. Not sure why, but we got it re-routed so folks traversing the routes get to ride the cool roads that our route-scouting team worked so hard at finding and putting together!!

All that said, thanks for ALL your work on these routes and UN - organizing.
Glad you'll be there to enjoy it!!

So....details:

1. If you have MapSource V8, download the files ending in 'gdb.'

2. If you have other mapping software or perhaps an older version of MapSource you can also try the files ending in 'gpx' (GPS Exchange Format) which is a more generic GPS format. It is possible that your s/w will be able to read or import those files.

RandyShields

All, after you download the routes to your Mapsource application on your PCs, you then need to Recalculate with your own program before you upload them to your GPS. If you don't they will not track properly and auto routing will not work. Don't ask me how I know. confused.gif

Randy Shields

Archived