IGNORED

Lost the final drive......AGAIN!

OoPEZoO

Ugh...Its official......my final drive is toast.....AGAIN bncry.gif! After retrieving the BMWST Geocache on Sunday, I felt that something wasn't right with my bike on the way home. I rode it to work yesterday and today trying to diagnose the problem......all the time trying to convince myself that it wasn't the final drive. Well, after the ride home I decided that I had to tear it apart and check it out. Sure enough, I opened the fill plug and right away noticed the nice metallic shine in the oil. Upon further disassembly I found that the metal carrier for the ball bearings split right in the center of one of the bearings. I'll get some pics posted up as soon as Danielle gets home with the camera. It didn't even make it 10k miles since I rebuilt it. I guess I'll be driving the cage for a few days/weeks till I can get it repaired again.

Now I guess is the question of if it was because of the heavy offroading I did on Sunday, a defective bearing, or something out of alignment.......I guess the world will never know.

I found that the metal carrier for the ball bearings split right in the center of one of the bearings

Was that the big crown gear bearing (wheel bearing)? Was that the original failure too?. IF so, did you or whoever worked on it check the preload?

Stan

daveinatlanta

That sux. Sorry to hear about that.

Hopefully it was simply a defective part, rather than a result of your noble rescue mission to the GeoCache site.

+1 on pre-load issue here..Hey, on your last rebuild, were all parts renewed, or did they throw a bearing at it??

Also,

Crown wheel backlash is critical on these bikes...use a dial guage. You can compensate for clearances with diff size shim washers.

If you don't get it right, the bearing suffers...If you don't have the tools, it is best left for a shop.

Maybe try a different shop if you suspect they did you wrong. A good wrench can tell you whats up by looking at the old pieces.

MB.

Yes.....it was the crown bearing both times......first failure was at 72k miles last August, and this one at 82k miles. The first time it completely trashed the bearing and I had pieces of it everywhere inside the housing. This time I caught it before it disintegrated. It just has one crack in the carrier, and a lot of the bearings have scaring marks on them.

I'm assuming that this failure was my own fault due to not having everthing properly aligned after the last rebuild. While replacing the crown bearing last time, I ended up damaging the conical needle bearing and had to replace it also. I took some measurements, and eveything looked to match up, but I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. I very easliy could have messed it up.

Considering how much of a headache it was to rebuild it last time, I think I'm going to call around to the somewhat local dealerships and see if they are capable of doing a proper rebuild and see how much it will cost me.

well.....I just got off the phone with the local dealership. They have the proper tools, know-how, and the time to get on it right away. I spoke directly with one of the techs and explained the situation. He right away pointed a finger at improper preload due to replacing the conical bearing. He also mentioned that he has personaly rebuild a few himself (that made me feel better). He said that he appreciated the honesty on my part about what really happened, and that if I dropped off the final drive this evening he would start working on it right away. He seemed to think that he could have me back on the road by the end of the weekend thumbsup.gif.

I don't like to admit defeat......but I also don't like the idea of incorrectly rebuilding my final drive every year, so its off to the dealership it goes. They wouldn't quote me a price over the phone so wish my wallet luck

Good luck!

And, perhaps you should include your offshore bank account number with the restocking of the Geocache.

A simple note that deposits will go towards the rebuilding fund for equuipment lost or damaged in the retrieval of the Geocache should be sufficient. grin.gif

Good luck!

And, perhaps you should include your offshore bank account number with the restocking of the Geocache.

A simple note that deposits will go towards the rebuilding fund for equuipment lost or damaged in the retrieval of the Geocache should be sufficient. grin.gif

Nice plan.....except, I know all I would get from you jokers is a handfull of wooden nickles and whatever change was left over from the last trip to Canada.... lmao.gif

I think I'll just chalk it up to a casualty of fun and adventure.

I have a few ideas for restocking the Geocache.....some practical....some not.... grin.gif. Either way, I definitly need to make some room in it......it's packed solid.

Hey Keith. Sorry to hear about the FD. If you took it to Trans Am, I hope Dave is working on it. He is a very cool guy and really knows his way around these bikes. Let me know when you are going to wrench on it again. I'd like to see how it all goes together and a spare set of hands probably can't hurt. I hope it wasn't our trip that did it, but I'm sure that it did help things along. You had the rear spin ning and hopping a few times, that's for sure. Let me know when you get it back, and hopefully it won't wring the wallet out too bad. I'll bring a few beers to help comfort you though thumbsup.gif Terry

Yeah man.....Dave is all over it. I had a nice little chat with him this evening when I dropped it off. He said that he should have it done and back together by next Thursday at the worst. Its longer than I hoped, but at least I will know that it is correct this time. I don't think our little trip was at fault. I think it was faulty workmanship by me when I repaired it the first time. On the other hand.....I'm sure Sunday didn't help the situation grin.gif. It might have pushed it over the edge a little. Oh well, better to have it happen close to home than who knows where.

I'm assuming next weekend for the rebuild, but I will let you know for sure when I get it back from the shop. I'm always up for drinking beer and collective head scratching thumbsup.gif

Hey Keith ...

Sorry to hear about your final drive ... but, how's that new HES holding up? Your bike will be almost new after the new drive is put in! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Good luck!

Nice plan.....except, I know all I would get from you jokers is a handfull of wooden nickles and whatever change was left over from the last trip to Canada....

Or save the Canadian money for your next visit.We actually prefer it. grin.gif

Hey Keith ...

Sorry to hear about your final drive ... but, how's that new HES holding up? Your bike will be almost new after the new drive is put in! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Well.....my bike starts and runs everytime I want it to, so I would say the HES is A-OK thumbsup.gif

Its been a fun 2 years with the beemer so far......24k miles, 3 sets of tires, broken speedo drive, HES failure, broken headlight, 2 final drive failures, and I also have 2 nice big cracks in my windshield grin.gif. I'm on a roll.

I'd be pissed if it wasn't so much fun to ride

Hey Keith ...

Well.....my bike starts and runs everytime I want it to, so I would say the HES is A-OK thumbsup.gif

Its been a fun 2 years with the beemer so far......24k miles, 3 sets of tires, broken speedo drive, HES failure, broken headlight, 2 final drive failures, and I also have 2 nice big cracks in my windshield grin.gif. I'm on a roll.

I'd be pissed if it wasn't so much fun to ride

Knock on Bavarian iron, at least no transmission issues yet!

I keep thinking that, but I refuse to say anything out loud.

I keep thinking that, but I refuse to say anything out loud.

Hope you make it safely for the UN! I'm sure there will be enough tools and techs to rebuild your whole bike there if needed!! Good luck with putting it back together, and hope it didn't break the wallet too bad!

What is the cost in getting the FD rebuilt?

Don't know yet, they wouldn't give me a definite number......their labor charges are $60 per hour, and I'm figuring around 3 hours and maybe $150-$160 in parts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for less than $300, but that might be wishfull thinking. I'll let everyone know how bad I get hit

+1 on the reasonable labor rate....

$75-80 around here..... lurker.gif

£60 an hour at my dealer - that's $120 to you guys...

Andy

That's a very reasonable labor rate.

I thought so also.....I was rather surprised (in a good way) when I read the numbers up on the board.

Archived