IGNORED

Motolights

Godfather

Motolights...AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE !!! long story short, I needed new bolts for the set of lights I purchased used. Their summer helper made an error in shipping me new bolts, I realized I needed different spacers and mounting brackets too, after (1 wrong 1 correct) bolts were delivered. I was not happy to say the least. Motolights made it right! They shipped, overnight, everything needed to complete installation on my Motolights, at NO CHARGE! This kind of customer service MUST be commended. Thank you Motolights. Thank you very much! thumbsup.gif

Motolights...AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE !!! long story short, I needed new bolts for the set of lights I purchased used. Their summer helper made an error in shipping me new bolts, I realized I needed different spacers and mounting brackets too, after (1 wrong 1 correct) bolts were delivered. I was not happy to say the least. Motolights made it right! They shipped, overnight, everything needed to complete installation on my Motolights, at NO CHARGE! This kind of customer service MUST be commended. Thank you Motolights. Thank you very much! thumbsup.gif

They've been having some trouble with their summer help. I have Motolights on my R12ST and I recently ordered a second set for my wife's F800ST. The kit came without pinch bolts, lock washers, caliper bolts, incorrect mounting brackets and undersized spacers for the mounting brackets. Their first attempt to correct things included incorrect spacers, incorrect caliper bolts and another set of incorrect mounting brackets. Their second attempt included correct mounting brackets with undersized spacers and incorrect caliper bolts. I can now assemble the lights, but I still need proper size spacers and correct caliper bolts. The caliper bolts aren't even close to the correct thread diameter. Supposedly they checked with an acquaintance who has installed Motolights on an F800S. All I can say is he didn't use the same caliper bolts they sent me. I suggested they visit a BMW dealer and confirm their materials (particularly the fasteners) needed for the F800ST application. So they get an A+ for effort, but an F for bill of materials. I'm glad I won't be buying another set any time soon. I'll give them another shot before I move on. We have exchanged e-mail and phone calls trying to get this resolved. I'm VERY disappointed.

One of the advantages of buying from a shop vs home shopping is that you can open the box at the shop and make sure all the components are included. Doesn't justify the mfr not shipping you the entire goods, but it is a major reason why I have more receipts from Bobs than from the mfrs. A good salesman will open the pkg for you to check.

One of the advantages of buying from a shop vs home shopping is that you can open the box at the shop and make sure all the components are included. Doesn't justify the mfr not shipping you the entire goods, but it is a major reason why I have more receipts from Bobs than from the mfrs. A good salesman will open the pkg for you to check.

This problem goes beyond missing parts. It's also missing some engineering. I haven't purchased anything at Bob's other than parts and fluids. I believe in supporting the local dealer for the reason you state and also because I like to contribute to their well being so they are around when I need them. I have purchased a significant number of high-priced accessories at Battleys where I bought my BMWs. That said I also support quality retail/online suppliers, such as RL Motorcycles where I purchased the Motolights. Richard Lane deserves a share of my spending as much as anyone--local or elsewhere. Motolights has acknowledged an internal problem that caused many kits, not just my kit, to be shipped with missing and incorrect parts. This is just a little frustrating because if I can go to a hardware store or dealership to examine what is needed to make the Motolights fit, so can they. I'm doing the legwork because I want to use their product. Motolight has been cooperative, but just not getting the job done. wave.gif

Just a little update on this. After many exchanges with Motolight, I paid a visit to the local hardware store and purchased an M10 x 1.25 bolt that fit the brake caliper on the F800ST. I couldn't install the Motolights because the mounting brackets supplied were either for an M6 or M8 bolt (they sent two sets). So the final answer is the F800ST has larger caliper bolts than its bigger cousins the R12RT/ST. As far as resolution with Motolight, I told them I was sending everything back to them except the light fixtures, lamps and wiring. They need to determine the bolt length needed for the F800ST because I couldn't without proper mounting brackets. It's been a learning experience for me. I now know more about Motolights various mounting fixtures than I ever wanted to know. grin.gif BUT they have been friendly, apologetic and cooperative and the fitting will be resolved through a mutual effort. I know Motolight has a stellar reputation and the kit I purchased for my R12ST fit perfectly and was shipped with all the necessary components. But somehow they missed the boat on the F800 application. Hopefully they'll correct future F800 kits. I've been patient with them and they've been patient with me--that doesn't happen too often in today's world. thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to my update on the F800ST installation for Motolights. Still No-Go. Through the process of customer trial and error engineering, I now have brackets that fit, but still need correctly sized fasteners for the brake calipers. The latest parcel included screws (bolts) that were the correct diameter and thread pitch, but wrong length (too short). I'm losing my patience. grin.gif Motolight can't tell me they've engineered their lights for an F800, and they also can't tell me they ever installed them on an F800ST. It's nice they are friendly and semi-responsive (I've had to drive the communications), but they really, really need to do their technical homework. I received the lights on August 6th and I still haven't been able to complete the installation despite all the e-mails, phone calls and swapping of materials back and forth. Freakin' pathetic. confused.gif

Archived