IGNORED

Motorcycle/ATV Jack on an Oilhead??

Lucas2Bosch

I have always used a Motorcycle/ATV Jack on my Airhead, but looking under my new to me R1100RS, I do not see a clear cut place to put the jack under the front without spanning the two block halfs. Is this viewed as exceptible, and/or is there a good work around?

If your talking about the typical 2-rail type M/C jack, I've never had much luck with them on a boxer as is. I have seen people build adapter plates for them however.

Yes, the two rail type. What style of adapter were they making? I saw in the front, that there was a boss with a large through hole that is not used. I also saw smaller bosses on the bottom that looked like the skid plate would bolt up. The concern that I had was if unequal force/weight was placed to one case half than the other, but then again, it looks like the center stand might do that already.

I have always used a Motorcycle/ATV Jack on my Airhead, but looking under my new to me R1100RS, I do not see a clear cut place to put the jack under the front without spanning the two block halfs. Is this viewed as exceptible, and/or is there a good work around?

Dave, I haven’t ever lifted an oil head with a motorcycle jack that I felt comfortable enough with to work on it that way.. Way too tipsy..

I just ride (or push) them up on my air lift table & buzz them up to working height.. Even then I usually use the center stand on the lift table rather than my trick scissor center jack..

There isn’t much you can’t do on the oil head while still on the floor & up on the center stand.

Twisty

"There isn’t much you can’t do on the oil head while still on the floor & up on the center stand."

Except, the fatter I get, the harder it is to tie my shoes. lurker.gif

There isn’t much you can’t do on the oil head while still on the floor & up on the center stand.
Yep. In the case of the oilhead the typical motorcycle/ATV jack is probably more likely to detract from stability rather than enhance it.

On my Airhead, it was very stable port and starboard, and once up, I would place a box under one or both wheels (as needed acording to what end you are working on) to keep it from rocking. Very small footprint in the garage, and cheap....I mean....in my price range. With this style of jack, you would ALWAYS use straps. I've had this jack for two years, and have used it no less than 20 times. I love it. thumbsup.gif

Yes, the two rail type. What style of adapter were they making? I saw in the front, that there was a boss with a large through hole that is not used. I also saw smaller bosses on the bottom that looked like the skid plate would bolt up.
Basically exactly what you're envisioning, a plate bolted to the rails of the lift with 'tabs' on it that engage the bosses on the bottom of the engine block.

One still issue is that you can't change the oil & filter with it in use, so in some sense the whole thing becomes a bit academic.

Archived