IGNORED

Bosch 4418's......WOW!

bowcop

After getting my surging problem corrected, I put in a set of autolite 3923's and watched my gas mileage plummet, and the power fall off. So...yesterday I put in a set of Platnum 4418's HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!! I took off from a stop sign and nailed it in 1st gear and found myself in a wheelie!!!! I can't believe the power that this bike "has found" with these plugs! Wow!!!

The autolite 3923's came out....prior to those it was a Bosch 6drxx or something....they are on my work bench...will have to look later.

After getting my surging problem corrected, I put in a set of autolite 3923's and watched my gas mileage plummet, and the power fall off. So...yesterday I put in a set of Platnum 4418's HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!! I took off from a stop sign and nailed it in 1st gear and found myself in a wheelie!!!! I can't believe the power that this bike "has found" with these plugs! Wow!!!

Unless your old plugs were so bad that the bike was misfiring, I think you have succomed to the power of suggestion. A plug either fires or it doesn't.

There is no possible way that replacing a properly functioning set of plugs with a new set of plugs (of any type), is going to result in the motor suddenly producing so much more power, that you start pulling wheelies.

The benefit of some of the newer generation platinum or iridium plugs is not increase power (compared to traditional plugs), it is increased longevity.

By the way, although there are 4 ground electrodes, only ONE of them has a spark at any one time. It is impossible to have a spark at all 4 at the same time. This is fairly basic electrical physics. Plugs with 2 and 4 ground electrodes have been around for decades, with many companies misleading the buyer into thinking you get 2 or 4 sparks. This is completely false (pull a plug and look for yourself!). The advantage of multiple electrodes is increased longevity. Multiple electrodes make not the slightest difference in power.

While Bob of Vanvouver is right (after all, living in bimbo city isn't contagious) in that no hp increase comes from changining functioning plugs, I use 4418 exclusively in my oilhead.

Wooster w/o wheelies

russell_bynum
After getting my surging problem corrected, I put in a set of autolite 3923's and watched my gas mileage plummet, and the power fall off. So...yesterday I put in a set of Platnum 4418's HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!

Unless your old plugs were so bad that the bike was misfiring, I think you have succomed to the power of suggestion. A plug either fires or it doesn't.

There is no possible way that replacing a properly functioning set of plugs with a new set of plugs (of any type), is going to result in the motor suddenly producing so much more power, that you start pulling wheelies.

The benefit of some of the newer generation platinum or iridium plugs is not increase power (compared to traditional plugs), it is increased longevity.

By the way, although there are 4 ground electrodes, only ONE of them has a spark at any one time. It is impossible to have a spark at all 4 at the same time. This is fairly basic electrical physics. Plugs with 2 and 4 ground electrodes have been around for decades, with many companies misleading the buyer into thinking you get 2 or 4 sparks. This is completely false (pull a plug and look for yourself!). The advantage of multiple electrodes is increased longevity. Multiple electrodes make not the slightest difference in power.

I agree.

I ran 4418's in my RT and I use them in Lisa's RS. They did seem to make a slight improvement in the surging, but that's about it.

The OP said:

I took off from a stop sign and nailed it in 1st gear and found myself in a wheelie!!!! I can't believe the power that this bike "has found" with these plugs! Wow!!!

Most bikes will wheelie under those circumstances.

Tim, I believe it.. Obviously if you installed Autolite 3923’s & watched your mileage plummet there was something wrong with either the 3923 plugs or the install thereof.. So obviously installing ANY replacement plugs would help the performance & bring the power back to where it should be..

Twisty

The problem with multiple ground electrodes is they tend to shroud the spark, as opposed to a single electrode.

[quote

Hmmmmm......

All I know is that the bike has WAY better response than before.

And that's really all that matters isn't it. If you're happy, we're happy thumbsup.gif

Archived