IGNORED

Trans fluid change?

TrickLidz

What is the recommended interval in miles for the trans fluid change? Can the trans fill and drain plug washers be purchased without buying the plug (my dealer only shows both parts together)? I have Jim's DVD of the 36K service, but I need to know the first trans service. I have 10k on the bike.

Also, can the front wheel be removed with out the special ($$) BMW tool?

TIA,

'Lidz

The official tran. lube change interval is 24K.

The front wheel takes a 22 MM hex head. No need to buy the BMW tool. MotionPro sells a tool that has several sizes on it that works great. About $20 at most any Japanese bikes dealer. Or several people have made there own.

Jim VonBaden

BMW no longer officially sells crush washers. They claim you must replace the entire plug, $7 each, with the integral washer on it at each change. I just went and got some of an appropriate size at NAPA.

As for the wheel tool, I use the head off a 13/16" spark plug socket. 43a22mm-removal-tool.jpg

I simply sawed it off with a hacksaw. Works great, was free, and is nice and small.

01-tire-change-08.jpg

First time I just used a long extension. This was a cheap Taiwan socket, as my Craftsman socket was slightly too large.

Jim cool.gif

Well if it were my bike I would change every fluid in the bike once a season or depending on mileage. I have more then 1 bike so I only put about 2000 miles a year on the RT but every season the bike has all of the fluids changed. Amsoil motorcycle oil 20W-50 for the engine and Amsoil Severe Gear Lube (For Hypoid Gears) 75W-90 for the transmission and rear end. Some people call it a waste but I actually enjoy doing it and frankly I don't care what anyone else thinks. The bike runs like you are on a magic carpet and shifts like a dream.

Well if it were my bike I would change every fluid in the bike once a season or depending on mileage. I have more then 1 bike so I only put about 2000 miles a year on the RT but every season the bike has all of the fluids changed. Amsoil motorcycle oil 20W-50 for the engine and Amsoil Severe Gear Lube (For Hypoid Gears) 75W-90 for the transmission and rear end. Some people call it a waste but I actually enjoy doing it and frankly I don't care what anyone else thinks. The bike runs like you are on a magic carpet and shifts like a dream.

Thanks again Jim,.

I made the tool. In another reply to me, you said that the trans drain and fill crush washers can be gotten at Napa, etc. Do you now the size, so that I might source them before doing the drain??

TIA<'

You've been very helpful, as usual. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

BMW no longer officially sells crush washers. They claim you must replace the entire plug, $7 each, with the integral washer on it at each change.

What a crock.

Of course...with the rates that many dealers were charging for crush washers, getting the whole plug with a washer for $7 is going to seem like a bargain to some folks. eek.gif

Just another example of driving your customers away by ridiculous pricing of simple parts. Heck just take the crush washers to your local hardware/auto parts store and match them up. Two other examples is the nut that holds GS/K12RS mirrors onto the bike. $8 for this nut and another is the $55 BMW charges for two plastic threaded ABS caps with 2' of hosing that comes with it. On the front side the customer gets hosed for the parts and on the backside the dealer gets hosed because they just lost a $400 brake bleed. On second thought maybe there is some justice if you can do the job yourself.

lawnchairboy

my experience is that the tranny plug crush washer isn't available as a separate piece either. I'm not incredibly gullible, and I am sure another washer readily available will work but...My local parts guy says BMW only sell the bolt/washer as one piece. If you look at it, the washer is an extremely tight circumferential fit to the bolt itself. I had to order one as the original one I took off was split on one side. The only reason I knew it was that the plug leaked after I changed the fluid and I had to take a look at it to figure it out.

chris

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I went down to the Local Ace hardware and bought the biggest Metric bolt they have. The Head fits perfectly to remove the front wheel. (I used two nuts, also from Ace, to lock together on the bolt for axle removal)

Jim VonBaden
I just checked with two dealers in my area and they both said that this is untrue.

FWTW..

Just wait, it is coming to a dealer near you soon!

Both Morton's and Bob's are already running out of their back stock of washers and selling the plug instead.

Jim cool.gif

PS I am going to change my fluids this weekend, so I will measure the crush washers for those who care.

PS I am going to change my fluids this weekend, so I will measure the crush washers for those who care.
THAT's what I was waiting to hear. Thanks Jim.
Jim VonBaden

OK,did my 36K today, and here are the dimensions for the crush washers. I used a digital caliper for each measurement.

Oil drain plug: 19.7mm outer diameter, 16.0mm inner diameter, 1.5mm thick.

Trans Oil drain plug: 17.7mm outer diameter, 14.1mm inner diameter, 1.5mm thick.

Trans Oil fill plug: 21.7mm outer diameter, 18mm inner diameter, 1.5mm thick.

Final Drive Oil drain plug O-ring: 15.0mm outer diameter, 11.2mm inner diameter, 1.8mm thick.

Final Drive Oil fill plug O-ring: 15.4mm outer diameter, 11.0mm inner diameter, 2.1mm thick.

The O-rings were tough to measure for inner and outer diameter, but this is as accurate as I could get.

Jim cool.gif

FWIW, my dealer's parts guy told me that the trans did not take washers, that they must be there because someone put them on at an earlier service.

Jim VonBaden
FWIW, my dealer's parts guy told me that the trans did not take washers, that they must be there because someone put them on at an earlier service.

Well, from experience with a new to 24K 05 R1200ST, I can tell you that your dealer is either wrong, or simply mistaken.

So far, every R1200 I have worked on, R1200GS, R1200ST and R1200RT of all years have all had washers.

On the other hand, I am not a dealer, and could certainly be wrong.

Jim cool.gif

Well, from experience with a new to 24K 05 R1200ST, I can tell you that your dealer is either wrong, or simply mistaken.

So far, every R1200 I have worked on, R1200GS, R1200ST and R1200RT of all years have all had washers.

Jim cool.gif

Well actually... Yes and no. The drain plug on the tranny of the hexheads does have a crush washer, it's just that technically it's a captive washer.

Item #12 here - RealOEM

Jim VonBaden

Jim cool.gif

Well actually... Yes and no. The drain plug on the tranny of the hexheads does have a crush washer, it's just that technically it's a captive washer.

Item #12 here - RealOEM

Good point, and I have replaced that "captive" washer each time I do an oil change! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Archived