IGNORED

He noticed his rear brake wasn't working...

rondob4

Motorcyclist rides 2 km unaware of losing right leg

SHIZUOKA, Japan, Aug. 14 (AP) - (Kyodo)—A 54-year-old man continued to drive a large motorcycle about 2 kilometers Monday after hitting the center divider on a national highway and losing his right leg below the knee in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture, police said Tuesday.

Kazuo Osada, a salaried worker, was unaware of the loss of his leg until he drove the distance apparently because his attention was focused on the strong pain he felt from the crash, the police said.

The police said Osada failed to negotiate a left turn and hit the center divider in a west-bound lane of Route 1's Hamana bypass in Hamamatsu at around 6:30 a.m. Monday.

Osada, who was on his way to Gifu Prefecture in a group of about 10 friends, did not fall in the accident and continued the ride before noticing part of his leg was missing, the police said.

The story I read said his leg was too mangled to be re-attached. As a former EMT I am stunned that he did not bleed to death or loose enough blood to crash again.

I'd be guessing that his body went into a kind of auto shock mode and that is why he did not immediately notice what was wrong. With his eyesight fixed on the road ahead, he might not have noticed the blood that must have been coming out at a fair rate.

Having lost a body part myself, although not major like a leg, can vouch for the fact that at the time it happens, you do not really feel the pain at all. Shock takes over. The initial blood flow must have been major though.

Sad story.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The story I read said his leg was too mangled to be re-attached. As a former EMT I am stunned that he did not bleed to death or loose enough blood to crash again.

I'm no medic, but my understanding has always been that if a major vessel is cleanly severed, the open end tends to pinch off in a fairly short period, limiting blood loss. Further, this does not happen if the cut is jagged, incomplete, or at a very oblique angle to the vessel. Not to be macabre, but supposedly this is why, when deliberately slitting one's wrists, the odds of a successful suicide are increased if one slices parallel to the forearm instead of across it.

I'm no medic, but my understanding has always been that if a major vessel is cleanly severed, the open end tends to pinch off in a fairly short period, limiting blood loss. Further, this does not happen if the cut is jagged, incomplete, or at a very oblique angle to the vessel. Not to be macabre, but supposedly this is why, when deliberately slitting one's wrists, the odds of a successful suicide are increased if one slices parallel to the forearm instead of across it.

That is exactly why I ALWAYS do it that way! lmao.gif

Couple things about this...

1. Dude takes a hit hard enough to lose his leg and stays up? Nice riding.

2. Riding with 10 "friends" and no one tells him he's gragging parts? Nice friends.

eek.gif

Last heard that he hired a lawyer and was going to sue the county. Alas, his lawyer talked him out of it stating that he couldn't win because if it ever went to court, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on. grin.gif

That's rude. Any very funny. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Actually I'm sure he couldn't find a lawyer in Japan - last statistic I saw showed that 90% of the lawyers in the world practiced right here in the U S of A.

Archived