IGNORED

Filter Wrench

JimD

I just punch a screwdriver through the old filter to remove and then hand tighten the new one. I discovered after purchasing a Jesse filter wrench that my hand tight is just about right on the torque specification from the manual.

Jim VonBaden
I just punch a screwdriver through the old filter to remove and then hand tighten the new one. I discovered after purchasing a Jesse filter wrench that my hand tight is just about right on the torque specification from the manual.

So what do you do if you punch a hole in the filter, then can't get it off? dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

So what do you do if you punch a hole in the filter, then can't get it off? dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

Stop-n-Go ought to plug that right up! grin.gif

Take your filter and head on down to thelocal auto zone. Try the filter wrenches on for size until you find one that fits.

Yankee Dog

Remember too that the original oilhead filter sizes fit the hexheads just fine too. Easier to find both the filters and a wrench to fit them. Cheaper too.

Jim cool.gif

Stop-n-Go ought to plug that right up! grin.gif

Or JB weld. tongue.gif
Take your filter and head on down to thelocal auto zone. Try the filter wrenches on for size until you find one that fits.

Yankee Dog

I did that. None of them fit! confused.gif

I just installed a new oil filter on Ruby with the longer filter that fits the 1100/1150/1100 K bike. The longer filter is quite easy to grab with my standard metal oil filter removal wrench. The first thing I did when installing this filter was to see if my filter wrench would fit and it did. And remember you only need to tighten the oil filter about 1/2 to 1 turn once the gasket touches.

I just installed a new oil filter on Ruby with the longer filter that fits the 1100/1150/1100 K bike.

Gee...and I just bought six of the new type filters when I have six of the old (K1200RS) filters left crazy.gif

Bill

Return the new ones if it is convenient. The older/longer filters work just fine. They hang down about 1/4" below the bottom of the engine which is NO big deal at all and you can find these filters at any auto parts store for a substantial savings vs. the new shorter model or the longer stock filters from BMW. Hang onto the ones you have and use them in the future. They don't go bad (hee hee).

I honestly don't understand why they switched to that dinky new filter size. Less filtering capacity, more expensive, harder to get on/off. Seems like a loose/loose all the way around. I can't see any downside to going back to the old filters on any of the hexheads.

Ken

I bet BMW shortened it for weight reduction. You have to look at every piece of the bike in order to reduce the weight by 43 lbs. The shorter filter is half the weight of the original one. Makes sense to me.

Ken

I bet BMW shortened it for weight reduction. You have to look at every piece of the bike in order to reduce the weight by 43 lbs. The shorter filter is half the weight of the original one. Makes sense to me.

Well I'll give you that's the best explanation I've heard so far. Guess I'll just have to skip a couple of Big Mac's to compensate!
Jim VonBaden
I honestly don't understand why they switched to that dinky new filter size. Less filtering capacity, more expensive, harder to get on/off. Seems like a loose/loose all the way around. I can't see any downside to going back to the old filters on any of the hexheads.

Just curious Ken, has anyone confirmed the filtering and relief valves are the same on both filters?

Just because it fits, doesn't mean it should be there.

Jim cool.gif

PS I know several people who use the old filters, or alternates, with no issues.

Paul Mihalka

I don't think BMW likes the idea of the oil filter hanging out of the crankcase and be the lowest point under the engine. I consider the old style filter on a hexhead acceptable only on a GS with the bash-plate protecting it.

Just curious Ken, has anyone confirmed the filtering and relief valves are the same on both filters?

Just because it fits, doesn't mean it should be there.

I was wondering the same thing Jim. There's more to a filter than just a can with an element inside. Have they changed the specs on the oil pumping pressure or capacity? As Jim said there's usually a by-pass capability in a filter as well. I'd want to know the differences other than dimensions for sure before risking my 20k investment for a couple of bucks.

I'm not aware of any. I'm just going by the experience of a number of people who are using the older filters with no issues. For that matter there are so many different ones being used on the oilheads they probably don't have the same relief valve in particular specifications either.
Jim VonBaden

I'm not aware of any. I'm just going by the experience of a number of people who are using the older filters with no issues. For that matter there are so many different ones being used on the oilheads they probably don't have the same relief valve in particular specifications either.

Same here, just wondering.

I am past warranty on my bike, so I will use whatever I can find for a reasonable price, but if you are in warranty, you might want to be a little more descriminating.

Thanks,

Jim cool.gif

A longer filter might be OK in a pinch, but consider that the stock filter is exposed and can get punctured if you bottom out on a rock. Ask me how I know...

A longer filter would be even more vulnerable.

Steve

A longer filter might be OK in a pinch, but consider that the stock filter is exposed and can get punctured if you bottom out on a rock. Ask me how I know...

A longer filter would be even more vulnerable.

True, I use the original oilhead length filter, but I should point out that I'm strictly a street rider. If I went over something big enough to get the filter, I've got bigger problems than the filter!

Archived