IGNORED

Garmin Software Update

MarkEngland

FYI:

For those who like to have the latest Garmin MapSource software; a new version is being released in about 30 days (according to what I was told today by Garmin). The new version should be version 9 however, Garmin has moved to using ‘year’ updates (like Microsoft does) so this new version will be called MapSource 2008. Yes 2008, not 2007.

The price is still $75 for the upgrade unless you bought a Garmin after May 1, 2007 in which the upgrade is free. There is another catch. If you are like me and have different models of Garmin such as a 2610 and 2820, you can no longer use a single update for both units. Starting with this upgrade, you (I) will need to purchase two upgrades due to the database version each unit uses.

FYI:

You are referring to the map database (City Navigator, etc.), not MapSource. MapSource is the program that displays the map data on a PC, and updates are free to Garmin customers. Only mentioning this because confusion between the map databases and MapSource itself is a constant source of confusion for Garmin users.

Installed 2008 non NT on my 2610 today. 2008 NT is selling for $60 at tvnav.com. Sharing days are over/1 unlock each time from now on in the US.

I'm having trouble with my update ... the City Nav 2008 won't calculate routes correctly on my home computer. It does really odd routing, like taking me off an interstate for an exit and then routing me back on to the interstate. Version 7 works just great. (Running Windows XP with SP2.) The City Nav 2008 software appears to route OK on the Garmin unit, but when I transfer the file (route) to the computer, it shows straight tracks, doesn't even follow roads. I've tried several route preference settings, but still get very odd results. I am working with Garmin customer service to see why my software update is doing this. I'll report back if others are experiencing the same problem. frown.gif

FYI:

You are referring to the map database (City Navigator, etc.), not MapSource. MapSource is the program that displays the map data on a PC, and updates are free to Garmin customers. Only mentioning this because confusion between the map databases and MapSource itself is a constant source of confusion for Garmin users.

Thanks... I meant Navigator 2008, not MapSource... smile.gif

I'm having trouble with my update ... the City Nav 2008 won't calculate routes correctly on my home computer. It does really odd routing, like taking me off an interstate for an exit and then routing me back on to the interstate. Version 7 works just great. (Running Windows XP with SP2.) The City Nav 2008 software appears to route OK on the Garmin unit, but when I transfer the file (route) to the computer, it shows straight tracks, doesn't even follow roads. I've tried several route preference settings, but still get very odd results. I am working with Garmin customer service to see why my software update is doing this. I'll report back if others are experiencing the same problem. frown.gif

Twil, try this: open the route in mapsource, highlight it with the arrow cursor (turns yellow), switch to "hand" cursor, right clik the route and go to properties, clik "recalculate", then transfer it to your unit. See if that works.

Tom, the mapping in both your GPS & mapsource should be the same or you can get strange routes when transferring between them… Is your mapping the same in both?

Twisty

Is the new City Nav/ Map Source Mac compatabe yet?

yes it isclap.gif. you can now update your zumo maps on a mac (intel or ppc it doesn't matter) there is some more info at

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/chets-corner-mo.html

you can update version software, add poi's, take routes ridden on the bike, from the zumo, and view them in Google Earth, update voices etc. But you can still not plan your route on a mac. (even though it was promised for Christmas 2006) frown.gif I've seen map sorce on a pc and it looks pretty dire, I think they are working on a global update to bring both mac and pc up to date (this is just a guess) D thumbsup.gif

Tom, the mapping in both your GPS & mapsource should be the same or you can get strange routes when transferring between them… Is your mapping the same in both?

Twisty

Good point--here's how to check. Open Mapsource, clik VIEW, then SWITCH TO PRODUCT--what is the product with the check mark? Mine says Citynav NT8. Then turn on the unit and look for MAP INFORMATION in the menu--and the 2 versions should match. If not thats probably the problem.

Is the new City Nav/ Map Source Mac compatabe yet?

Not exactly but others have been able to get it to work using boot camp or Parallel.. I think you will need the latest version of Mapsource & still might have some USB glitches..

Twisty

I was on their web site last night and City Nav is $139.27. So how does it lock you out from updating more than 1 unit? If I have 2 2610's I have to get 2 unlock codes?

Twisty ... I uploaded the CN 2008 maps into my Garmin 2610, following the instructions given. So, both desktop computer and GPS unit are using the same map sets. When I loaded the upgrade onto the computer, the old (version 7) City Nav remained operational. When I went to uninstall the 2008 version the Windows "Add or Remove" utility showed the Garmin Map Source 2008 as "Rarely Used" (versus the older version of Garmin Map Source as "Frequently Used"). I'm now wondering if the "routing engine" or whatever the .exe file is that does the calculating in 2008 is corrupted. Garmin has emailed me to tell me I'm not using the routing preference correctly (treating me like an idiot). I emailed them back and said the problem isn't me ... it's a problem with the software on my computers. (Does the same thing on both my desktop and notebook.) I'm now waiting to hear back from Garmin.

In MapSource, did you notice there's a drop-down menu in the upper left that lets you select which map set to use? Just because the newer maps are installed doesn't mean MapSource is using them. It can use any map set that's on the machine. It sounds to me like this could be the source of your problem.

I use VMwares Fusion for Mapsource on my MAC. It works well. Parallels kept telling me the USB ports were busy even with all USB ports unplugged. Numerous requests to Parallels for support have gone unanswered.

Bill, I did notice that. And it makes me wonder about the "upgrade" version of City Nav North America. Since the routing calculator works fine on the version 7 and doesn't work properly on the version 2008 (on my computer), I wonder if the "routing engine" on the ver 2008 is screwed up somehow. The 2008 works fine calculating routes on the Garmin 2610. But ask it to calculate a route on the computer (to later transfer to the Garmin) and it behaves very badly. BTW, the ver 7 takes up about 1.6 GB of disk space on my computer; the ver 2008 takes up 1.8 GB. I thought the upgrade would write over most files in the old version, but apparently not. Still no response from Garmin today. I may have to call them tomorrow (Friday).

Just got an email from Garmin. They are sending me "replacement software" to see if it solves the problem of City Nav 2008 (Map Source) routing preferences working properly on my Garmin but not on either of my computers. I should get it Tuesday. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this problem with the upgrade from V7 to 2008. confused.gif

Well, I just received City Navigator North America NT 2008 for my daughter's c340. The installer encounters a "communication error" when it tries to talk to Garmin's web site. I have the same problem with WebUpdater today, too. I'm hoping this is a temporary glitch in their site.

In looking for updates to download and install some other way, I found that the two latest versions of MapSource on the Garmin site (one being a beta release) are both listed as being for Windows Vista only, with Win98, ME and NT no longer supported! This seems surprising, given how many folks are pointedly NOT "upgrading" to Vista. I sure don't want to spend money and time upgrading my token Windows computer, which I use only to run Garmin apps (we're a Mac household).

I recently asked the Garmin folks that and the answer was yes and no. Unfortunately, the 'no' applied to the 2610 and NAV II units that I have. Still love the Mac though.

Well, I just received City Navigator North America NT 2008 for my daughter's c340. The installer encounters a "communication error" when it tries to talk to Garmin's web site. I have the same problem with WebUpdater today, too. I'm hoping this is a temporary glitch in their site.

Upon further review, I noticed that the Update DVD also came with Mac instructions, so I tried updating the maps on my Mac. Worked like a charm! I'm guessing I must have a firewall configuration problem on my PC. Since I don't do route planning for the c340 on my PC, it's not a big deal. If I can't load the non-NT version of the 2008 update for my Nav II, though, then I'm gonna scream!

In looking for updates to download and install some other way, I found that the two latest versions of MapSource on the Garmin site (one being a beta release) are both listed as being for Windows Vista only, with Win98, ME and NT no longer supported!
No, it says that Vista is supported, not that the software is Vista only. Windows XP and 2000 are also supported. Win98, ME, and NT are no longer supported, but that's not uncommon these days.

Upon further review, I noticed that the Update DVD also came with Mac instructions, so I tried updating the maps on my Mac. Worked like a charm!

Is that using OS-X or WIndows on an Intel Mac?

lawnchairboy

yeah, me too, trying to install my nav2 software on a new vista based laptop, get through the whole process (more than once) and then get "error accessing the internet" error message when the software tries to access the Garmin website to activate the software.. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Vista. Would have gone mac in a second but had no choice in the matter...

anybody get a fix for this, I tried to fill out the garmin e tech support form a couple of times but am physically separated from the hardware at the moment...

Upon further review, I noticed that the Update DVD also came with Mac instructions, so I tried updating the maps on my Mac. Worked like a charm!

Is that using OS-X or WIndows on an Intel Mac?

OS X. No Microsoft involved. You double click the updater on the DVD and it runs and immediately downloads the maps to the unit. No MapSource required (good thing, since Garmin still hasn't gotten around to producing MapSource for the Mac). Oh, and it'll update the unit software in the process, too, if necessary.

yeah, me too, trying to install my nav2 software on a new vista based laptop, get through the whole process (more than once) and then get "error accessing the internet" error message...

I guess it's not just my firewall, then. I emailed Garmin's webmaster about it, figuring it was a problem with their site. No response so far. Might be the site, might be the installer. Inquiring minds....

• 2 months later...

Just got my City Navigator 2008 Update DVD. There were no Mac files on the DVD at all! A friend let me borrow her Windows XP laptop to update my Nav II GPS. After about 8 (non-continuos) hours and one computer crash, I got the job done. I had to copy the maps to the Windows machine, convert the maps to a Mac format, load the 1.3 Gb file onto the Mac, then install these files on the Nav II. Seems like there must be a better way! The new 2008 maps are very nice and show more than the older 2006 maps did in my area.

Unfortunately, all I can do is zoom in and out on the GPS while riding. Garmin still has not produced a Mac version of Mapsource, so, there's no planning of routes and loading them to the GPS. In 2006, Garmin said they'd be Mac compatible by 2007 - still waiting!

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this problem with the upgrade from V7 to 2008.

I've had a similar problem. Since loading V2008 to my computer, the GPS keeps routing me off and back on the interstate at off-ramps. It never did this before, and I don't have it set on "shortest route". This seems to be a problem with the GPS routing because I'm not seeing it on the computer. I have the latest version of Mapsource loaded and the same map version selected in the GPS as on the computer, but it still does it. I'd be interesting in knowing what they send you and whether it helps with the issue. Keep us posted.

By the way, I forgot to ask. I have several GPS's counting the one my wife uses geocaching and in the car. Can you buy just the unlock codes from Garmin or do you have to buy an entire City Navigator for each GPS? If so, how much is an unlock code?

During the process, I was asked if I wanted to purchase additional unlock codes. So, it would seem that one disk can have several unlock codes. They are probably somehow tied to some personal information -just a guess, though.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this problem with the upgrade from V7 to 2008.

I've had a similar problem. Since loading V2008 to my computer, the GPS keeps routing me off and back on the interstate at off-ramps. It never did this before, and I don't have it set on "shortest route". This seems to be a problem with the GPS routing because I'm not seeing it on the computer. I have the latest version of Mapsource loaded and the same map version selected in the GPS as on the computer, but it still does it. I'd be interesting in knowing what they send you and whether it helps with the issue. Keep us posted.

I've got the same problem. Garmin support told me there's no problem, that I must have screwed up my settings. Usually their support is great. This time, not so much.

+1 on having the routing problem. Tried to route from Houston to Dallas and instead of using IH45 it picked many backroads plus sending me via Waxahachie and then IH35. Even raised average speed on Interstates and reduced it on other roads but it had no effect on roads selected.

Garmin are you listening?

I have had this problem with V8 as well. At least 15-20 times over the last 6000 miles. It's really a pain if you don't preview your routes, and aren't familiar with the locale. Garmin said it was trying to route me around previous road closures confused.gif

I've got the same problem. Garmin support told me there's no problem, that I must have screwed up my settings. Usually their support is great. This time, not so much.

I have not recieved my 2008 DVD yet, so I have not installed/upgraded (I have v8). But, I always "unistall", reboot, (make sure the garmin dictories are gone) and then install. I never "upgrade". The extra three to four minutes has proved to work well.

Being an old software guy, I know how many things an upgrade must deal with -vs- a new install.

Archived