IGNORED

M97 Transmission Failure

samnt650

Wondering if anyone on the board had to repair or replace their M97 tramission due to problems? My 99 RT is slipping 2nd gear under load. The bike is scheduled for repair on 8/23. Right now I cannot tell which part of the trany is broken. My bike has 50k miles and I change the trany oil every 10k miles w/ Redline (that all I stock at home). If your M97 had failed, I would like to hear from you. THANKS

You can get a glimps of the clutch assembly by pulling the starter. Might be able to confirm an oil leak. Whether it be clutch or tranny, the tranny gots to come out. Your looking at a Saturday afternoon and a case of beer. bncry.gif

Wondering if anyone on the board had to repair or replace their M97 tramission due to problems? My 99 RT is slipping 2nd gear under load. The bike is scheduled for repair on 8/23. Right now I cannot tell which part of the trany is broken. My bike has 50k miles and I change the trany oil every 10k miles w/ Redline (that all I stock at home). If your M97 had failed, I would like to hear from you. THANKS

"Slipping" sounds more like a clutch problem, and as others have mentioned, when the rear seals go you get oil on the clutch. On the other hand, it would probably slipping in more than just 2nd if the seal is seriously compromised. If the transmission is popping out of gear under power, and in the case of my tranny, won't shift into gear, you may need to pull it and send it to Bruno in Canada or Tom Cutter in PA for R&R. I would not waste a cent or a minute taking it to a BMW dealer.

To answer your question, mine died @ 57K miles. Many on the forum believed that there was clear evidence of metallurgical failure. The dealer felt that the cause was Redline Oil, and claimed that the oil was "pink and watery".

Interesting.. I have yet pull the trany out but very certain its a trany problem. My slipping/skipping is only happening on 2nd gear. As to metallurgial failure, I already had one of those happened to me at the cam, which cracked and caused engine failure. Unfortunately all these problems happens after warranty expired.

My slipping/skipping is only happening on 2nd gear.
What do you mean exactly by 'slipping/skipping'? If you mean a brief power interruption or hiccup (usually occurring only once after selecting second gear), this is most frequently due to a bent or worn shift fork. This was a somewhat common failure on the M94 models due to the lack of undercut shift dogs, but I suppose shift fork damage is possible on any model.

BTW, M97 models are no more bulletproof than the earlier versions, they all have their own sets of design strengths and weaknesses. Luckily though most of the weak points can be cured.

With the M94 box, if you use the technique of preloading when shifting, are you risking premature fork wear by increasing the contact time?

With the M94 box, if you use the technique of preloading when shifting, are you risking premature fork wear by increasing the contact time?
Interesting question, but I would guess not since it takes a fair amount of force to move the shift drum out of detent so unless you 'preloaded' the lever pretty hard I don't think it would cause wear on the shift forks. In any event I know that avoiding preloading the shift lever won't help because I never used the technique (personally didn't find it very useful) and the 2-3 shift fork in my M94 still got eaten up.

Archived