Well I didn't think the weather would put a damper on my riding...

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

but this 98-103 heat in Georgia has stopped me from riding the bike to and from work... (RT).

Suggestions for dealing with it? My commute is 26 miles, about 45 minutes because of schools.. no interstate, just 35 to 55 speed roads.

I figured it was "safer" to not ride as the heat can be pretty damn dangerous. I ride with a Full face helmet and all the gear (airflow2 suit with shorts+T underneath) and still melt.

and to think I used to only worry about ice

Chris,

+1 on that. I've only put 200 miles on the bike since I got back from kali 4 weeks ago. All of that was before 1030. Headed north on 3 sept. grin.gif

It's pretty hot here in southern Iowa too. A seal failure kept me from riding to St Louis for a week of training for work last week. I was glad I didn't have the bike. The heat index was over 100+ all week.

I'll start riding again when it stays in the upper 80's, lower 90's. I'd rather be riding in 35 degree weather than 95+ with high humidity. It's more practical to toss on a heated vest and some rain pants than ride around wet, sweaty or naked.

Lone_RT_rider

Chris, I have an R1100RT so I am not sure if this will directly relate, but putting the Cee Baileys Sport shield on my RT for the summer made a WORLD of difference. It doesn't exactly give you all the wind flow of a full naked bike, but it definitely puts a ton of air on your upper body that helps with cooling.

You may want to post in the Hex-head forum on what others have found to a be a similar solution for the R1200RT.

Also, I know 100 degrees is going to be hot no matter what, but I found that this takes just enough edge off the heat to make riding the RT bearable in the Southeast during the summertime.

Shawn

Yeah, we're roasting here in Savannah too. 98-100 degrees with 60-90% relative humidity makes for no fun outside of airconditioning. I guess it's the price we pay for 10 months of spectacular riding weather. wink.gif

I hydrate a lot before I leave work in the afternoons, and I wear a ride cool neck cooler when I leave in the afternoon. It cools my neck well enough and the little bit that runs down my collar helps a little bit.

My commute is about 45 minutes as well, mostly secondary roads but I keep my windshield all the way down and find myself taking most any route home just to keep moving and not stop.

I took off the Aeroflow windshield altogether. Looks funny but I get plenty of air and then wear my Shoei Multitec flip up. I raise the visor and it seems to do the trick. Have all the textiles for airflow.

I haven't ridden to work since one Saturday last month. I know they say that ladies don't sweat, they glow, but I'm lookin' like a lightnin' bug grin.gif every time I ride to work lately.

Chris, I have an R1100RT so I am not sure if this will directly relate, but putting the Cee Baileys Sport shield on my RT for the summer made a WORLD of difference.......Also, I know 100 degrees is going to be hot no matter what, but I found that this takes just enough edge off the heat to make riding the RT bearable in the Southeast during the summertime.

Airflow is good, when the temps are below body temperature. Monday, the official temp was 101, but it must have been 105-106 on the road, with cages and all.

It was MUCH cooler to close the shield, all the helmet vents, and zip the stich up tight and close all the vents. Hard to believe, but I experimented, and that wind was a roaster.

It was also just too much, and I'm riding the airconditioned cage until this heat wave busts. Hate like hell to have to drive, but it's just too hot.

but this 98-103 heat in Georgia has stopped me from riding the bike to and from work... (RT).

Have you tried a cooling vest?

In humid states people suggest phase change type vests but I have been using a Fieldsheer evaporative vest in Florida humidity at 109 degrees and been perfectly comfortable under a Joe Rocket Mesh jacket.

My work commute is only 8 miles, so yesterday's high of 108 (according to my display) was tolerable.

I'm usually able to cover the distance in about 15 minutes.

I have discovered that when temperatures rise above 100 or so, I can get some relief by actually closing my visor.

I'm guessing that the air inside my closed visor is closer to my body temp of 98, and as a result, cooler than the air outside of my helmet.

I can feel the difference immediately.

You might give it a shot. thumbsup.gif

wrestleantares

I find the cage to be hotter than the motorcycle. I am at least halfway home before the a/c makes ANY dent in the heat the truck has built up being parked all day. (My commute is about 20 miles)

My hints:

If your bike is parked in the sun place a towel over the seat.

I have a BMW salvage yard near me and bought a cheap scratched up shield and cut it way down.

I drink a big glass of ice water before leaving the office at the end of the day. Seems to cool me off a bit before the ride.

This is why the MOA mileage contest is biased towards riders who live north of the Mason Dixon line. grin.gif

Hydrate, keep moving, wear cooling gear.

I use my drinking tube all the time on the bike at this time of year and drink @ a litre/100 miles while moving and a bunch every stop.

I have 4 windshields and put on my Z-Tech low screen when it gets hot to provide more moving air. It's hot, but helps keep me drier. tongue.gif

Archived