Help! I'm an idiot ... where do these screws go?

STL RT Rider

STL RT Rider

Most guys would be too embarrassed to post this, but I'm concerned this might cause me a problem if I don't locate their home.

I had the windscreen and left side panel off my '05 R12GS to install an Adventurers Workshop dash shelf before I left for a non-motorcycle vacation. I made the mistake of leaving before I finished putting it back together.

So, a couple of weeks later I finally get around to the task of reassembly and when I'm done, these two screws and an Allen wrench were still sitting on the bench waiting for the return to their home. However, I can't for the life of me figure out where I removed them from. The only other item I touched was, I removed a shelf I had on the handlebar crossbar and installed a bag there instead. All the screws from the old dash shelf and the new one are accounted for.

?action=view&current=MissingBolts002.jpg

Anyone have any idea where these go? They are 5/8" long with 4mm Allen head. I've ridden the bike since and nothing fell off, but I'm concerned all the same.

Thanks!

They are black in color as they look in the photo?

I'm thinking, and I've had the front end of a R1200GS in 100 pieces, and it isn't coming to me either...

STL RT Rider

Yes Ken, they're black, flat head, 4mm Allen head, not Torx.

They are similar to aftermarket screws I used in my "Back-Off" license plate frame on my RT, but that thing is long gone. They were sitting on my workbench in a cup with the other screws I removed, so most certainly from this job, but I'm stumped.

STL RT Rider

Nevermind! I just figured it out. These screws are from my FJR windshield support bracket. It was working on it before I started the GS project.

Sorry for the false alarm. Thanks to all who were racking their brains for me. I'm truly getting old. What a brain fart! dopeslap.gif

These screws are from my FJR windshield support bracket.
Well at least I feel a little bit better! I thought I was loosing it too when I couldn't identify a 12GS part!

Archived