IGNORED

What to do?

BruceWA

After test riding the 07 K1200GT & R1200RT last month, I decided to sell my RT & VFR and buy the GT. Sold both on Saturday. Have to admit I had to ask the buyer of the RT if I could thnik about it bncry.gif, since I have enjoyed it tremendously and of course had it set up to my tastes.

Now that I have find a new ride, and will most likely go with the GT, but plan on riding both again. Have already ruled out the FJR, C14 and almost ruled out the ST 1300.

Anyhow, if you were in my position...what would you do? confused.gif Be nice now! grin.gif

Jerry_75_Guy

Anyhow, if you were in my position...what would you do?

I'd have kept the RT and VFR ( love my RT and VFR!!), and added the GT to the stable wink.gif I know, I know, that's a spendy proposition, but it sounds nice smirk.gif

Sooo...what you're saying is that you plan on buying the GT with the proceeds from the sale of the RT and VFR?, then add a bike to replace the RT? Did I get that right?

I haven't ridden the GT yet, but from what I've heard it's a pretty capable replacement for the RT, and pretty powerful, ie a good sport touring replacement for the VFR; the GT might be all you need.

Well, if you've ruled out the FJR and C14, the ST1300 is about the only real direct competitor left. If you've also ruled out any new boxers (RT/GS/ST), Ducati ST3/Multistrada, Sprint ST, and perhaps the Buell Ulysses, I think the GT is the only one left.

Seems like your choices are between two wheels, four wheels, and no wheels where the GT is the sole representative of the two wheel category.

This soon to be 61 year old still loves the twisties, but my shoulders tell me they like a more upright position. Going to miss the VFR a bunch!!

Of course the above stated issue rules out (for me) the Ducs, Triumph, Buell 1125R or Ulysses.

The ST is a viable option, and as we all know there is a Honda dealer on almost every corner in the USA. But I know after riding the GT it is going to feel like , dare I say it, a pig! dopeslap.gif

Hoping to find a low mileage used GT, but if not a new one will fit nicely into my garage! clap.gif

I'm in the same position, currently in the process of selling my '03 RT. I test rode both the '07 GT and RT. Before the test ride, I really wanted the GT, in part simply to have something new, not just an upgrade. Well, I actually liked the RT better. I thought it was smoother, easier to handle at slow speed, and quieter at speed. The GT throttle has an on/off feel coming from idle and that requires a bit more concentration at low speed. In addition, I've read a number of posts on the GT boards about high idle issues related to riding in high ambient temperature. Supposedly the '08 version addresses this.

Both have more than enough HP to get me into trouble, legally and otherwise, especially since most of my riding is solo.

Both RT and GT are a big step up from my '03 RT, so I know I can't go wrong with either. I think it is going to come down to price.

Now, do I get a remaining '07 or order an '08?

Both RT and GT are a big step up from my '03 RT, so I know I can't go wrong with either. I think it is going to come down to price. Now, do I get a remaining '07 or order an '08?
unlike the rt, the new gt has had a lot of teething problems with fuel mapping and the ecu. there's a new ecu out on the latest production run, and the software with the fuel map is up to something like ver. 10. if you go the gt route, waiting for an '08 might be a good idea.
The GT throttle has an on/off feel coming from idle and that requires a bit more concentration at low speed.

This is something that you do get used to. It is like dial-a-speed. You turn the throttle and the bike goes that speed...very quickly. Just take it easy for a bit.

unlike the rt, the new gt has had a lot of teething problems with fuel mapping and the ecu. there's a new ecu out on the latest production run, and the software with the fuel map is up to something like ver. 10. if you go the gt route, waiting for an '08 might be a good idea.

I have not experienced this problem. I've run the bike at high altitude and it was responsive while getting 50 mpg. In San Diego, it is very responsive and gets 40 mpg.

As a newcomer to the forum I just did basically the same thing for the same reasons. Soon to be 60 years old I traded my 04 R1100S and my 98 VFR, both of which I had had since new, for a new 07 R1200RT. My body also was telling me it needed a little more upright riding position and a few more creature comforts. One demo ride on the RT sold me. Like you I will really miss the VFR but was not riding it much since I bought the R11S. For me the RT has filled all my riding needs. It's really a great bike. I'm curious how many others have made this conversion from a life of sportbikes to bikes such as the RT? I don't know that much about the GT as I really lean toward the old boxer design, but don't doubt it's a great bike also. Just can't say enough great things about the RT as it has enough sport in it to stay interesting but also satisfied the needs of a "maturing" body.

Russ

After considering my options I bought a used 06 GT (from an owner who is almost as anal retentive as I am). grin.gif

Would have to disagree with some of the comments about the GT vs. RT, and other options as well. The seating position is very upright on the GT, and I, for one, rode the 05 RT when it was released, but didn't feel it was that much improved over the 04 to justify the change. Certainly it is improved, but FOR ME, after riding the two back to back, the decision was made on passion alone.

I ride fairly agressively when I feel the urge both on/off road. Will continue to do so until these aging bones can no longer let me enjoy the excitement of riding. bncry.gif

Thanks for the comments and I didn't mean to insult or inflame anyone by my comments. Ride safe! wave.gif

I agree with you Mike.

I did the same thing last week.

Rode the GT & RT, back to back.

I went into this wanting to love the GT more than the RT, but after the rides, (for me) the RT was a better fit all around.

It felt familiar (to my 1999 R 1100 RT), but so much better! Improved & refined on all fronts.

Looks like I'll put my trusty '99 up for sale.

With 63,000 trouble-free miles, it's the one bike I've held onto the longest.

I've had many bikes, and usually switch off every 3 or 4 years.

I guess I'm staying with BMW for this time around, again.

Also;

I had a dealer check today, on the availability, of '07 RT's with the options I want. Honestly, there are not many left in the warehouse. Looks like I'll be getting an 08.

Hope they come up with some great new colors.

Cheers.

Archived