IGNORED

How do I get ALL the gas out of the tank?

Yeti

I have a 95 R1100R and I've taken the tank off to strip it and paint it. I was able to get most of the gas to drain out through the fuel lines but there's still a fair amount of gas in there.

Anyone know how to get the rest of the gas out? I tried siphoning it but it seems the gas is in a part of the tank where I can't get the siphon to go to. dopeslap.gif

aaah.... how about opening the cap and turning the tank upside down?

Then dry it out with compressed air, for a day or two.

Stan

But isn't there a filler neck that would prevent this

OKOK, that's what I get for trying to be a smart A$$.

This time for real. Really. Honest injun (or is that honest engine?)

There should be a fuel pump access plate on the inside of the tank. This is a plate with a wire cable and two fuel lines plus two vent lines coming through it. Remove it. This is a great chance to change your fuel filter. You will have to deal with couple of vent lines on the inside that need to be disconnected. That will leave a big hole from which you can pour out fuel, reach inside and wipe dry, etc.

Stan

I guess I may have to do that. The fuel filter was just changed about 2k miles ago so I didn't want to open the tank back up but I may have to. I'm going to try a couple of ideas and if they don't work I'll open her back up.

I guess I may have to do that. The fuel filter was just changed about 2k miles ago so I didn't want to open the tank back up but I may have to. I'm going to try a couple of ideas and if they don't work I'll open her back up.

If you don't want to change the filter, then you don't have to pull the whole assembly out, I'm thinking. Just loosen up the bolts, separate it from the tank, and support the tank in a way that doesn't put any weight on the filter/pump assembly to let it drain (which might be the hard part).

If you do end up completely removing the plate, make sure you mark the vent tubes so they don't get mixed up. I'm told that if this happens, the bike won't run worth poop and it's very hard to fix.

If you do end up completely removing the plate, make sure you mark the vent tubes so they don't get mixed up. I'm told that if this happens, the bike won't run worth poop and it's very hard to fix.

Thanks I did make sure to mark the lines before I took them off so I'm good there. thumbsup.gif

Archived