IGNORED

3000 miles/year,change oil yearly or 6K

barncobob

dont drive much. change oil yearly? i can always take the oil to work on top off my 2 trucks and forklift that all burn oil. using mobil 1 20/50 MC specific oil.

Paul Mihalka

IMHO changing oil/filter once a year is a good idea. That's what I do in the car as it does not get much mileage.

dont drive much. change oil yearly? i can always take the oil to work on top off my 2 trucks and forklift that all burn oil. using mobil 1 20/50 MC specific oil.

Barncobob, as a rule the oil should be changed yearly even if you haven’t hit your mileage max.. If you look at the algorithms in modern cars & trucks that use oil change warning systems most base on mileage, type of usage, number of cold starts, etc but they usually trigger at one year time regardless of the operating conditions..

In any case you shouldn’t store a motorcycle with used oil in it as there is a chance of crankshaft etching & cam bearing etching if there is much combustion acid in the oil..

Twisty

If the 3000 miles a year is a 60 mile ride every Sunday, then once a year is fine. If it is 5 miles to work, then 8 hours later you go 5 miles home, then once a year is not enough. That is not enough to get the engine fully up to operating temp for awhile to avoid acids, sludge, etc.

Archived