1996 r 1100 rs problems

aal3

I test rode a 1996 r 1100 rs, and really liked it, but it had two problems I noticed. First, about 1/2 the time it did not want to down shift until the bike had almost come to a stop. Second, the abs lights kept flashing. Anyone know how expensive these repairs might be? Otherwise, again, I really liked the bike; more fun than the rt I'm selling, and easier to handle.

I test rode a 1996 r 1100 rs, and really liked it, but it had two problems I noticed. First, about 1/2 the time it did not want to down shift until the bike had almost come to a stop. Second, the abs lights kept flashing. Anyone know how expensive these repairs might be? Otherwise, again, I really liked the bike; more fun than the rt I'm selling, and easier to handle.

Arther, on the ABS?_ That could be as simple as a low battery or misadjusted sensor or as complicated as a failed ABS controller or ?.. You won’t know until diagnosed..

On the trans?_ Again possibly just a shift lever problem or linkage problem but could also be a sign of internal trans problems or trans input shaft/clutch problems.. Agin you won’t know for sure until diagnosed..

Unless I knew what was causing either problem I would be real cautious of offering much money for that bike,, repairs could be easy or VERY expensive.. Why is it being sold & if from a dealer if an easy repair why isn’t it repaired?

Twisty

I just bought a '96 r1100r with a bad clutch and ABS lights flashing. I haven't gotten back to diagnosing the ABS lights, because I'm in the middle of the clutch job, which I'm doing my self. So far, I'm into it for about $800 in parts. The dealer dropped the price by $2200 for an as-is sale, which I thought was reasonable at the time, but now I'm having my doubts...

The 1996 is for sale at an independent shop,and I think it is on consignment. It's got low miles for a 96; about 35,000 as I recall. I think the bike owner just got a new bike and so is selling this one. I doubt I will make an offer, as I don't want to end up with expensive repairs.

Mine was on a Honda dealer lot, under similar circumstances. They were waiting on parts when I bought it. What were they asking for it?

I think the asking price was $6,700. One thing I liked about it is that it is the rsl model, with the full fairing. Those seem relatively rare.

Too much money for a "96 RS with issues. I paid $6000 for mine 5 years ago in perfect shape with bags, tank bag, cover and more.

The down shifting thing could be the dreaded spline issue

I think the asking price was $6,700. One thing I liked about it is that it is the rsl model, with the full fairing. Those seem relatively rare.

Art:

I just paid $4400 for my 94 with 29,000 miles. It's been perfect except for needing a new front tire.

Tipover Bob

ABS issues are issues all BMW riders have with an ABS system

nine times out of ten the remedy is minor adjustments

but that one out of ten will be 3 grand dollars plus fitting

and you wont know which of the russian roulette hands you

have been dealt, myself, i have lost any interest in ever

having an ABS system ever again...

The gearbox sounds normal.

Pass on it. That year is famous for tranny problems.

Jim:

Oh, you've scared me, maybe I will not ride it because I am afraid it will not go another mile, lol.

Tipover Bob

Hey Bob,

Do you know if the trany on yours was replaced with an M97? If so, buck up lil' cowboy. You're good-to-go.

Also, I'd buy one with over 60K miles, but not with less than 30K. The problems seemed to occur at relatively low mileage.

I have a 96 and so far the only problem I had was a hall sensor failure. The Abs mal fuction can be caused by a low battery or inproper gapping. This is a way to setup and read the fault code using a digital Multimeter. The bike is very easy to work on.

Archived