IGNORED

what brand of helmet is Alton Brown wearing?

jwg122843

Jerry_75_Guy

During the first 4 episodes (the 'original' "Feasting on Asphalt") it was a 'Shoei'. I haven't figured out what he's using this time just yet...anybody else??

I just went to his FOA Website to find out for you but the link to his "equipment" list is now gone. His site is interesting, nonetheless.

I suppose if you really wanted to know, you could call BMW of Atlanta, where he buys most of his gear.

Does anyone recognize the brand of helmet Alton Brown is wearing on the Food Network show "Feasting on Asphalt"?

It might have been the Shoei Multitech. I'll have to watch the show again to see.

Anybody have one of these and how does it compare to my Shoei 1000?

Shoei Multitec

m00.jpg

Mike O

I also think it is a Shoei MuliTech with the Silver Duct Tape accessory. lol I guess Shoei did not want to pay for an endorsement while it certainly appears that BMW has paid heavily.

Anybody have one of these and how does it compare to my Shoei 1000?

I have one, Love it (Thanks Mandy!)! Don't know about the 1000 though, all of the other Shoei's are too "round" for my oval head. The Multitec works great though. Middle of the road in shape I guess. thumbsup.gif

I just got a Multitech and rode two long days with it. Fits great, almost a duplicate fit as compared to my X11. Also installed Autocom speakers and mike, first time for me, and had no problem with that either. For me, it's a winner. On the other hand my wife wears an X11, but she found the Multitech very uncomfortable, so we sent hers back.

I just got a Multitech and rode two long days with it. Fits great, almost a duplicate fit as compared to my X11. Also installed Autocom speakers and mike, first time for me, and had no problem with that either. For me, it's a winner. On the other hand my wife wears an X11, but she found the Multitech very uncomfortable, so we sent hers back.

I have an X-11 and a Multitech with Autocomm. The most significant difference is the reduced ventilation in the Multitech. I really like both helmets, but avoid the Multitech on the hottest days. The offsetting upside is the Mutitech is a flip-up, which is nice when you're stopped: gassing up. But I like to feel the air blowing through the X-11 when it's above 80F. wave.gif

The most significant difference is the reduced ventilation in the Multitech.

I took a dremel and enlarged the grooves in the styrofoam just a tad to flow more air. It significantly improves the airflow. This morning at 69deg, I almost closed the vents as my head was getting a bit too cool. Luckily, being August, it was 75deg and climbing within 30 min of leaving for work.

Where the groove meets the hole in the front to let air in, I shaped it into a 'V' and made the groove a bit deeper. I did that for each opening and groove that runs from front to back. There is another groove circumferentially that connects those two grooves. I made that a little deeper as well. It seemed to me that the helmet, all helmets actually, lie too close to the head for good airflow. I would imagine that a suspended harness system would not meet DOT standards for impact resistance. The shallow grooves designed to permit airflow get filled with my hair. I have short hair, but not a buzz cut. If I push the back of the helmet at speed to lift it off my head a bit, I immediately feel air circulate through the helmet. I have always done that from time to time to get some cool air on my head. So by making those grooves deeper, it lets the air in better and the grooves are not being blocked.

You could catch the name on the helmet in the beginning of the first episode, I think they forgot their duct tape then ran and got some quickly. It's a Shoei.

Archived