IGNORED

04 1150 RT vs. 1200RT???

drdave39

OK, I admit it- I NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOLD THE RT!!! Never mind I had no time for long trips at the time, etc., etc.) I love the Multi and it will stay my one-up sport ride, but I want to get out on the open road again...

I did get a ride on the 1200 before the local dealer closed- maybe I have been changed by my time on the Multi, but it seemed "blander" than I remember my 02 RT. I like the idea of an 04 because of the dual spark, but the cruise on the 1200 would be sweet on the superslab. Also, there is no local dealer here anymore, so warranty issues on a newer model would be more hassle...Any thoughts?

Dave

If the budget can afford it, the 1200 is superior to the 1100/1150 in every way except possible looks (subjective!).

Power

Handling

Fuel mileage

Luggage capacity

Stock seat comfort. (Slight difference. Still somewhat of a torture rack.)

No surge

No PTTR

Decent sidestand

ESA (if stock shocks are to your liking, otherwise Ohlins or equivalent).

Dave:

You need to ride them both back to back to decide. I rode a R1200RT with Edelweiss in Spain in 2005, great bike, but I did not come back and trade in my '04 either. I like the longer legs of the '04 for traversing the expansive prairies of Wyoming, and like many I vastly prefer the looks of the '04. Good luck with your decision, its a fun one to have to make!

Bob

I have purposely avoided test riding the new 07 RT. I love my 04 RT and do not want to be tempted into making the change.

I made the switch without a test ride. Sold the '04 on a Fri, rode to a dealer on Sat to get my '07 and then headed out on a 9000 mile trip. I have not regretted a bit of it.

Fatbob - How many miles do you get on a tank on your '04? I don't recall mine getting better mileage than my '07. Of course riding with my wife on her SuperHawk, I was stopping every 120 miles anyway, so I did not really pay attention. I am getting 48mpg on the R12 with a 6 gal tank, so an easy 250 miles without running it close.

longer legs of the '04

????? confused.gif

A 1200 will have better range than an 1150.

I am regularly in the 50MPG range and have had a tank (400 miles between fillups) exceed 60MPG once (without downhill assistance) on my 1200. Add to that a tank which holds more gas than the 1150.

If one wants to play games with the fuel filler neck to increase fuel capacity, drilling out the neck on an 1150 gains about 1/2 gallon. Lifting out the rubber insert in the 1200 (by hand. No tools) can gain as much as a gallon.

Sold an '07 RT to a man who also owns the same Ducati you do, yesterday.

The R 1200 has many changes to recommend it.

If $$$ not an issue, go 1200.

Plenty of nice '04's around at good prices too.

longer legs of the '04

Lifting out the rubber insert in the 1200 (by hand. No tools) can gain as much as a gallon.

Really? Tell me more.

The rubber insert makes it harder to top off the tank, since you need to fill it a little past the bottom of the tank inlet or part way up the rubber insert to get the full 7 gallon capacity. IF you stop when the pump clicks off... you'll only get 5-6 gallons in the tank depending on how far you shoved the nozzle in the tank.

It's a pretty poor design in my opinion. All my Japanesse bikes were much easier ot fill-up. Thankfully you only need to refuel every 250-300 miles.

The rubber insert makes it harder to top off the tank, since you need to fill it a little past the bottom of the tank inlet or part way up the rubber insert to get the full 7 gallon capacity. IF you stop when the pump clicks off... you'll only get 5-6 gallons in the tank depending on how far you shoved the nozzle in the tank.

It's a pretty poor design in my opinion. All my Japanesse bikes were much easier ot fill-up. Thankfully you only need to refuel every 250-300 miles.

On my bike, I can get the full 7.1 gallon into the tank with the rubber insert in place with little effort. Pulling the insert allows about 1/2 inch of additional fuel level before topping out at the tank's metal flange. This is about a gallon. Very useful when the next gas station is far, far away.

Probably not a good idea to fill to this level then immediately park the bike. May cause problems if fuel expands enough to effect the charcoal cannister.

I have an 04 RT with about 34,000 on it. Bought it new from Tristate. It has been great. I did take a short test on the 05 version when it arrived. As stated previously, almost everything is improved. When you are riding it, you don't have to look at it. The dash looks very nice though. Unless a new BMW store opens in our area, this is my last one. The 04's are arguably simpler machines so possible more proven and they were the epitomy of the oilhead. It is smoother than your 02 with better low end response and the brakes were made less sensative in the rear after some complaints. Good luck deciding.

Tom Collins

Yeah, what he said, my '02 is my last RT too...... I can't seem to wear it out and it does everything I want a bike to do....... smile.gif

But if I do wear it out, I'll be looking at what ever BMW is making then. Hopefully it will look better than the R1200RT!!!! lmao.giflmao.gif

Stan

????? confused.gif

A 1200 will have better range than an 1150.

I am regularly in the 50MPG range and have had a tank (400 miles between fillups) exceed 60MPG once (without downhill assistance) on my 1200. Add to that a tank which holds more gas than the 1150.

If one wants to play games with the fuel filler neck to increase fuel capacity, drilling out the neck on an 1150 gains about 1/2 gallon. Lifting out the rubber insert in the 1200 (by hand. No tools) can gain as much as a gallon.

Gentlemen:

I am talking about overall final drive ratio when I say "longer legs". Of course the 1200 is smoother, I know that. When my RT is doing 4000 rpm in 6th with her 160/70 LT ME880 on the rear my GPS says 80 mph. I recall the R12 spinning faster than that at 80. (though is does'nt feel faster, I know that too!)

Bob

I believe the 1150RT did have a taller 6th gear. My R1150R had the "overdrive" 6th option on it. It was turning about 300RPM lower than my R1200RT. Not a big deal since the 12 is smoother amd it ultimatly makes it more responsive and you're less likely to need a downsift in many passing situations.. and it allows me ot use 6th down to as low as 50-55mph, where I was usually still in 5th on the 1150R. There was too much vibration to use 6th under 60mph.

Archived