IGNORED

My first BMW

Perlova

I'm thinking of getting back into riding and buying a K75S. Id prefer a K75RT (more of a touring bike) but am having a hard time finding one. Is the K75s a good bike as my first BMW? Is it reliable and easy to ride?

Welcome to the board! Had a 94 K75S and it was the smoothest running motorcycle I've owned. It was a very sweet ride. Also had a 95 K75RT and it was a sweet ride as well, a little top heavy, but I wish I'd kept them both now. Would have more money in my bank account, but perhaps fewer smiles. grin.gif

Doubt you will be disappointed in a K75!! clap.gif

Thanks for the reply. I also was looking at an R1100RT but it seemed a bit too big for a first bike. My last bike (20 years ago) was a Honda 650 Nighthawk. The K75 is about the same size. I've been looking for a BMW for the last 4 months. It took me about 3 hrs to buy the Honda. I guess with age comes indecision....

Thanks for the reply. I also was looking at an R1100RT but it seemed a bit too big for a first bike. My last bike (20 years ago) was a Honda 650 Nighthawk. The K75 is about the same size. I've been looking for a BMW for the last 4 months. It took me about 3 hrs to buy the Honda. I guess with age comes indecision....

There is a K75RT in Cumberland Maine with less than 20K...

I test rode it but decided it was a bit small for me..I bought an '02 R1150RT instead. My first real bike. It was a great choice. 200 miles in the last 36 hours, yup, I got it yesterday.

Here's a link to the K75:

http://www.ibmwr.org/market/search.php?c...e&Mode=find

Perlova, Buy the RT. It's seems big but after about 30 minutes it doesn't seem so big. After about an hour you'll be saying ahh, this is it. My 2 cents.

I have a good friend that rode a K75RT for years, put a lot of miles on it. Think it was a early 90's. She loved it except in summer. Very warm for the rider. That might be a plus up where you're from grin.gif She also went to an 1150RT and loves it. She's 5'6" and wghs about 135 lbs.

Thanks for the link. Maine is a bit far for me to go to inspect the bike. But it does look good...

I need to find one within 200 miles of Toronto, so that I can have a look at it and then return once all of the export paperwork is done some days later.

I have a good friend that rode a K75RT for years, put a lot of miles on it. Think it was a early 90's. She loved it except in summer. Very warm for the rider. That might be a plus up where you're from grin.gif She also went to an 1150RT and loves it. She's 5'6" and wghs about 135 lbs.

I'm surprised that she liked the K75 considering she was only 5'6". It's a rather tall bike.....

Rich06FJR1300

i test rode a k75s yesterday. Guy was selling a 1994 model in doylestown, PA for 4,500. I liked the bike and was trying to get back into bmw as i own 2 Japanese bikes (FJR and VFR) but this is pretty similar riding style and felt i'd be getting more of the same. I really wanted to see what this motor felt like being its noted as the smoothest engine bmw every built. So i opted out for now. I'd like a beemer but i dont' want to spend top dollar for the newer models and prefer a "pre-servo" bike. Perhaps a K1100LT i'll check out next.

I think that I still want to buy a K75RT. For some reason this bike has a lot of appeal for me. I'm waiting for pictures of a couple of bikes that I've seen on ibmwr.org.

It just might be worth a 10 hr trip to get a good copy of one of these....

There is a K75RT in Cumberland Maine with less than 20K...

I test rode it but decided it was a bit small for me..I bought an '02 R1150RT instead. My first real bike. It was a great choice. 200 miles in the last 36 hours, yup, I got it yesterday.

Here's a link to the K75:

http://www.ibmwr.org/market/search.php?c...e&Mode=find

Dave_jo. Do you have the links to the pictures of this bike. I'd like to see them but the owner is away from any access to the internet.

Roman

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally did it. Found an 2000 R1100RT near Syracuse, NY. Picked it up last Wednesday, brought it over the border on Thursday. All went well at the border, got it registered in Canada on Thursday.

It was safetied at Budds in Oakville where the rear tire needed to be replaced. Had my first ride on it today.

Never having riden a Beemer before, it was a bit anti-climactic. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I thought that it would be smoother then it is. More vibration then I would have liked and the shifting is a bit clunky.

Not having another BMW bike to compare it to, I'm not sure what to think.

But all in all a very nice comfortable ride. I haven't been on a bike in 15 years so maybe I've forgotten what it should be like....

welcome to the site. i also have a 2000 rt. run the engine at higher rpm. that will help with the vibration. keep it above 3000. you will love the brakes, just make sure you battery is fully charged. there are many threads in the oil head section on brakes and batteries.

that oilhead loves to rev. i usually don't shift into 5th until 65 or 70. at 80mph i'm doing maybe 4200 rpm. i never go over 80, but it will continue if i care too. being an old harley rider, i like to keep the rpm down, but not good for the BMW. i personally like the 3000 to 4500 rpm range on my beemer. sometimes when accelerating i hit 6000 to 6500 range. it seems happy.

Thanks, I was told by the service manager at the dealer that my battery is still a lead acid type and most are now Gel Cells. He thought that I would probably need a new battery. The Gel Cells need a constant charge, hence the need for bettery tenders. What's wrong with continuing the use of lead acid?

I'm surprised that she liked the K75 considering she was only 5'6". It's a rather tall bike.....

For those of us who're 5'6", all BMWs are tall bikes. But you learn to adapt. thumbsup.gif

Thanks, I was told by the service manager at the dealer that my battery is still a lead acid type and most are now Gel Cells. He thought that I would probably need a new battery. The Gel Cells need a constant charge, hence the need for bettery tenders. What's wrong with continuing the use of lead acid?

Nothing wrong as long as it's taking and holding a charge.The service manager was probably just letting you know that the "Gell Cells" are the "replacement of choice" when your does need to be replaced.

perlova, BMW's are clunky shifting, i supppose all BMW's are. i don't mess around, i make a very positive shift and give it the gas. works for me. i think all BMW transmissions whine too, i've also gotten used to that. the one thing i can't get used to is the turn signal switch and the cancel switch. just too much trouble. lol

The more I ride it the more I get used to the shifting. It realy is a nice comfortable ride. 2nd gear seems to be the noisiest until the revs get up there but the rest of the gears are much smoother.

The suspension is excellent and the bike feels very balanced.

Although pushing it around the garage and up the driveway is scary. It's very heavy standing still......

Archived