Rear shock question

Willie

Noticed the other week that the bottom of my rear shock is wet. Only once was is weeping enough for a drop to fall to the floor (that's how I originally saw it), but none the less, when I wipe it dry a day or 2 later it's wet again. What's the most money conscious route to go to fix this and is it safe to ride it like this. I have however BEEN riding it for about 2 weeks like this anyway. I stock BMW shock will run almost $600. Can this one be rebuilt? Any cheaper aftermarket options or are they all more expensive like the Ohlins? Thanks

It's BMW, it's going to cost money.

On my old '95 R110RT, I had the rear rebuilt and it was a complete waste of money (for me). I ended up with custom Wilburs which transformed the handling.

If money is an real issue then I'd rebuild it but the cost over the long term maybe less if you go direct to Wilburs IMO.

Your suspension would be severely compromised with the rear in its current condition so you need to do something soon.

Linz

Works would be a good alternative for you, much better than OEM, rebuildable and cheaper. The OEM shock is designed to be non-rebuildable, though some places offer the service.

You can also often pick up good used OEM shocks from people who have upgraded to after-market shocks - some people do this before their bike turns a wheel.

Andy

Eckhard Grohe

Well, I have been busy today and what kept me busy was the installation of a new set of Ohlins shocks for my 1100RT. SWMBO and I went for a ride after the install, no setup yet save for some preload on the rear shock, and her first words "I can't believe how smooth it is." And yes it was smoooooth.. I still need to fiddle with the shocks but I can recommend that if you can swing it buy a set of premium shocks. I bought Ohlins because of the large support base though I would have bought Wilbers had they not screw** Klaus around.

Data point: 18,000 miles on old shock.

"I bought Ohlins because of the large support base though I would have bought Wilbers had they not screw** Klaus around."

I bought Wilbers and installed them late last week - the shocks are GREAT and I've been deaing with Klause. I figure I'll depend on these for the next few years and that having the highly respected Klause to stand behind them was worth it.

Where did you guys get the Wilbers and what is the pricing like? What model? Is Klaus from EPM Performance? If so, I don't see the Wilbers on the site, just info on rebuilding them. I got a quote from LE (above link) and they said around $200. Thanks

Klaus is at Run-n-lites however he no longer distributes Wilbers, although will still service them (I think) He is now selling Hyperpro. Wilbers is sold by Max BMW and Ted Porter's Beemershop among others. According to the Wilbers USA site, rear shock prices are $449 for the 640 with adj damping or $669 for the 641 which adds adj high and low speed compression damping. It's also an additional $219 for the hydraulic preload adjuster.

I just talked with Stig Pettersson at Pettersson Pro Suspension and he's sending my Öhlins back today! clap.gif

I did get 50K miles out of the last re-build, but when I took them off I noticed the front had been leaking ( dopeslap.gif ). I think I originally paid around $1100.00 for both front and rear shocks set up for my weight and riding style and the rebuilds (twice so far, 126K miles on the bike to date) were less than $400.00 for the complete set--WAAAAY cheaper than new stock ones even.

You can get a new rear stock shock for about $700.00 retail ($560.00 at Chicago BMW--part #33 53 7 666 397) and a new front for about $270.00 retail ($215.00 at Chicago BMW--part #31 42 7 650 050) or if you've got a lot of farkles up front--or are a more than a bit over 180 pounds you can get the "authority" front shock for about $280.00 ($225.00 at Chicago BMW--part #31 42 2 317 362). But if you plan on keeping the bike and putting the miles on it, it's well worth investing in Öhlins or one of the other after market--rebuildable--versions. It seems that there are some folks who will rebuild the stock (Showa) shocks, but--while that might be a cheaper option, you might find that you get what you pay for and of course you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. tongue.gif

Personally, I'm looking forward to the great improvement in handling I remember when I first put my Öhlins on almost 80,000 miles ago! thumbsup.gif

So, is there anyway to adjust preload without the remote reservoir. $219 is a good chunk for something that I personally don't mess with often. Ride height adj doesn't matter to me. I usually ride solo with luggage lightly loaded and keep my preload at about 1/2 to 3/4. When my wife is on the back and luggage more packed. I crank it the whole way. Any suggestions as to which to order and where. I can't get to any Wilbers info on the links above. Thanks

If you don't get the hydraulic preload adjuster, the preload will be set by adjusting the nuts at the top of the spring.

640_069_sl.jpg

In order to get the spanner to the nuts, you'd at least have to remove the rear wheel and I'm betting the rear shock would have to come out. Bad enough having to do that during the initial setup, but not something I want to do every time a pillion got on, or I loaded for a trip.

If you never measured your sag when adjusting the preload on your stockers, it's probably overkill for you to buy adjustable compression damping. Being able to tailor the damping does make noticeable improvement in ride quality and control; it also takes a fair amount of time to find the optimum settings. Considering your in PA, I'd call Max's and get their answers and prices. There was an ADVrider group buy at Nick's BMW but I think that's over. You could search the ADVrider site to check.

Archived