IGNORED

My 3k mile update on Avon ST Storm tires.

sardineone

My previous experience with Avon Azaro tires have been very positive. With that in hand I had some ST Storms installed on my R12ST. Initial impressions were good as I rode my normal pace and lean angles riding locally. I have just returned from a more challenging venue, a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway & Deals Gap. I found that I had just enough grip but, without as much surplus grip that I perceived with the original Pilot Roads I rode the same area on last year. What's more disturbing and a first from my Avon experience (5 sets) is a minor front end shimmy between 40 & 50 mph at only 3k miles. I'm disappointed and my search for the perfect Sport Touring tire continues. My next front tire will soon be a Pilot Road 2.

I have this minor shimmy too, on my second set of Storms, that was not present on the first. It occurs at 35mph, at a slight bank angle only. In contrast, I feel the grip, especially in the wet, exceeds the Pilot Roads. Why do I think the PR 2's will have a shorter life span...

minor front end shimmy between 40 & 50 mph at only 3k miles.

I was looking at my tires (Avon Storms) this morning while check my tire pressures. I have a little over 5k miles on them so far. I love the feel of the tires, and the rear tire is wearing great........but I'm not as thrilled with the front. It is starting to cup, and I have just hit the wear bar. I'm going to continue to ride the tire (with a new one on order) and see how much more life I can get out of it, but it doesn't look promising for the front.

WOW-

I was just telling Hopz and some of the other N. Utah folks Saturday AM that my front Storm was just replaced by the local dealer at 3400 miles, minor scalloping, wicked shimmy w/ a hot tire- - come off a high speed stretch, around 30mph it really shook bad- run 20 miles on the slab then get off a ramp and leaving the next light it actually had me thinking tank slapper in my head... The tire vibrated all the time like it was out of balance. As mentioned earlier, in medium speed sweepers the tire seemed to really wiggle.

Motorcycle R&R took care of me (like always) and said that Avon tends to be very good about warranteeing issues like this despite the warranty period being over but not being alone I've got to wonder if there isn't an issue like a bad production batch.

When did you guys purchase your front tires that went bad? I got mine about July 15th.

What pressures are you running? I've been running 41-42 psi in the Storm front.

My rear seems to be doing just fine.

I never noticed any type of vibration from the front.......mine has always felt like it was firmly planted to the road.

I bought my Storms from SW Moto Tires: ordered on 5/18/07

I was pretty carefull about checking pressures when I first installed it. I was running the front at 39psi, and it was wearing perfectly even. I have since got pretty lazy about it.......when I checked it yesterday it was down to 32psi, so this one could possibly be my own fault because of neglect.

My rear has been as happy as can be at 41psi

I normaly don't like to mix and match tires, but I think I might stick with the Storm rear and go back to a Z6 in the front. I'm not sure though.....I need to make a choice pretty soon.

I normaly don't like to mix and match tires, but I think I might stick with the Storm rear and go back to a Z6 in the front. I'm not sure though.....I need to make a choice pretty soon.

I run a Viper in the front and a Storm in the rear and I love it so far.

8k on my storms and am now down to wear bars on the front, back is close to the wear bars.

No cupping, wearing much better than the Z6's did for me, I think I still have a few miles left.

I tend to run them hard too. Still sticking to the road pretty well. Much better than the Z6's I previously ran when they approached the end of their useful life (5-6k, and were cupping before that).

PSI is typically 38/40, upped them to 39/41 recently.

I weigh 205, dont tend to have much in my bags either.

Bought them earlier this year from motorcycleproshop.

I wonder if weight and road surfaces account for the variations in everyone's observations?

I couldn't be happier with the tire. Just ordered a second set, back tire is back ordered.

I wonder if weight and road surfaces account for the variations in everyone's observations?

Oh sure, pick on the fat kid.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we were dealing solely with wear- I admit, I chew up tires due to a combination of weight on the bike and rough pavement/ high temps around here.

In this instance, the wear I had at 3400 miles was not bad at all, in fact the tire looked good - it took Ron at R&R riding the bike to verify that I did in fact have an issue. I brought just the wheel in at first and had it re-balanced, which didn't solve the problem.

Ron thinks there might be a belt issue w/ the tire. We may never know unless Avon tells R&R. Jeff there mentioned that they don't have many sets of Storms out there in use that they have data back on- either the tires haven't seen many miles, or the owners haven't been back in.

I guess time will tell.

Oh sure, pick on the fat kid.

Yeah really......I live in PA so you know the roads are horrible, and I can very turn down a cheesesteak......or two grin.gif

• 1 month later...

At the shop today - no word back from Avon on my front Storm. They have a good relationship w/ Avon and said it's possible Avon just took their word on the problem and didn't check it out. Also possible they verified the problem, but no reply.

Rear storm was smooth at 5300 miles, no tread at all in the middle. Tiny bit of room to the outer wear bars, but it was definitely time.

We need to merge all these threads, I'm going to post this in like 3 places, some of you will see it repeatedly.

I'm on my third front Storm. First one was fine. Second had low speed wobble when leaned over after 1000 mi. Third one (free replacement from AVON) has wobble from mile one at 45-48 mph when straight up.

No more Storms for me. 1 out of three isn't good enough.

Archived