IGNORED

California Scientific R1200RT Windshield Review

jmer

Considered all of the options for my new 1200RT...

CB seemed to big, somewhat ugly lines, and possible control arm breakage,

Aeroflow - nice design, but large and $$$

VStream - too large and suspect noise probs w/ passenger.

Cal Sci looked interest to me b/c of air hole to reduce back pressure. Also decent looking, not too expensive or large. ( I didn't want to barn door)

BTW, I'm 6'1", 33in inseam

So, went w/ Cal Sci. shield. It arrived within a week, istalled easily and worked great yesterday on a 100mi trip. All I needed to do was raise it a couple inches and like magic the airflow was very smooth and quiet with no forward pressure on my helmet. ...and without my earplugs which I normally wear all the time. I now feel I won't even need them except maybe for very long, hi- speed trips. clap.gif Extremely happy with the shield.

I'm pretty happy with my stock shield so far... but there's always room for improvement.

How is it different? shape? dimensions? How much did you pay?

EDIT - nevermind, I just looked it up. It's a little wider than stock wiht eh same basic shape, but with the hole in the middle, the bottom cut off, no euro cut on the top. They might also help on hot days. I barely get enough air on me.

Looks like it might actually have less loading on the shield at speed. I've been worried aobut ever trying a aftermarket shield because it might break the mechanism or BMW might not warranty a failed motor.

What size did you buy??? I've been looking at them.. I'm just an inch taller than you. I'm not completely happy the the ztechnic. Too much buffeting.

What size did you buy??? I've been looking at them.. I'm just an inch taller than you. I'm not completely happy the the ztechnic. Too much buffeting.

I bought the Medium which is 2" taller in the center of the shield. Its actually about the same as stock at the upper corners and just slightly wider overall. However, since the leading edge of the shield is straight when viewed from the side as opposed to sloping progressively more toward the rider as you move upward, the Cal Sci does not need to be raised as much for a given shield height. I think I made the right choice on height, the medium would have to be run at full up position and I would just about be looking thru the tall even in full down position.

I did the prototype testing for CalSci and the production unit you are using is the result of their initial design followed by the 5 prototypes that were changed according to my input combined with their knowledge of aerodynamics. At several points, I went back to earlier versions as well as the Cee Bailey and Vstream. The "tall" unit was designed for my height and riding position. It is a concidence that the top ended up being exactly level with my line-of-sight in the highest position with the seat in the tall position. You would never adjust it that far up unless you were freezing you butt off and just had to have the most protectiont that you could get.

I am 6'2", 180 lbs, and wear 33" inseam pants so my head is a bit higher than the average person that is my height and weight. I ride fun stuff with the seat in the high position and tour with the seat in the low position.

The CalSci setup is way less sensitive to height and adjustment than the others and you will find that you are adjusting it less often.

I did the prototype testing for CalSci and the production unit you are using is the result of their initial design followed by the 5 prototypes that were changed according to my input combined with their knowledge of aerodynamics. At several points, I went back to earlier versions as well as the Cee Bailey and Vstream. The "tall" unit was designed for my height and riding position. It is a concidence that the top ended up being exactly level with my line-of-sight in the highest position with the seat in the tall position. You would never adjust it that far up unless you were freezing you butt off and just had to have the most protectiont that you could get.

I am 6'2", 180 lbs, and wear 33" inseam pants so my head is a bit higher than the average person that is my height and weight. I ride fun stuff with the seat in the high position and tour with the seat in the low position.

The CalSci setup is way less sensitive to height and adjustment than the others and you will find that you are adjusting it less often.

GregB, you do good work. You've made my riding more pleasant!

Greg,

From your post, it almost sounds like I need the tall one. I'm 6'2", 230 and run my seat mostly in the upper position with bar risers. The Ztechnic gives me decent wind protection but I think there is really alot buffeting on the highway....

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Greg,

From your post, it almost sounds like I need the tall one. I'm 6'2", 230 and run my seat mostly in the upper position with bar risers. The Ztechnic gives me decent wind protection but I think there is really alot buffeting on the highway....

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I think you are correct. The tall one, which is what I am using, is about the same height as my Vstream. The Vstream SEEMS taller because it is SO wide at the top. I think the easiest way to see if your head is the same height above the bike (not above the seat) is to run the shield all the way up, sit on the bike in your normal riding position, and see if the top of the Vstream is level with your eyes. If it is, and that is what you like, then I would suggest the tall CalSci shield.

The Vstream width is what bothers me because the top corners get in your way in twisties and when you run it down to get it out of your line-of-sight, then you just get blasted with air.

My CB (height +4 I think, +2 on width) is nice, but find it has a small sweet spot of effectiveness. Plus is looks to be putting a lot of stress on the mounts.

How much does the CS wobble at highway speeds? With that hole in the lower portion how much air do you feel? My concern is the cold Michigan winter...

I would be curious to know how much wobble at highway speed as well. My stock windshield on my R1200RT shakes a bit a higher speed. This a a bit annoying to me considering how much I paid for the bike. My wife, on the other hand, has a Honda ST1300 and her stock windshield hardly moves at all.

I'm thinking of ordering one of these shields but I'm concerned about what height to order. I'm 5'-11" with a 31" inseam. I want the extra protection when I need it, but the medium size says it's only 1/2" taller than stock. I just took a 4' level and measured how high my eyes are above the stock shield when it is in its lowest setting. Right now my eyes are 6" above the top. Seems like the large one would allow me to see over it and still give me some air in the lower position. What do you think?

My CB (height +4 I think, +2 on width) is nice, but find it has a small sweet spot of effectiveness. Plus is looks to be putting a lot of stress on the mounts.

How much does the CS wobble at highway speeds? With that hole in the lower portion how much air do you feel? My concern is the cold Michigan winter...

I did notice a very small "sweet spot" with my CB, and small with the Vstream. I remember thinking that I would be alot more likely to replace the RT with a GS if CalSci did a windshield for the GS. I am guessing that their new sheild for the 800ST really helps on that "touring" bike without an adjustable windshield.

The CalSci is the least rigid of the three. I don't really notice any of the windshields flexing in gusty winds though. It seems more to be the WHOLE windshield moving around on the mounts. An R1200RT windshield does move around alot more than the one on the R1100RT.

The vent (hole) moves less air on you than you would think. Closing it completely (with tape) results in MORE wind on you. I could see the possiblitly of someone in a really cold climate running a strip of 2" clear tape vertically thru the vent in the wintertime. Isn't your summer just as hot as Southern California? Your 90 degrees with 90% humidity needs the same cooling as our 105 degrees with 20% humidity? I suppose if I HAD to ride the RT in bitter cold (and I don't) I would buy the Aeroflow - awful in the summer though.

Isn't your summer just as hot as Southern California? Your 90 degrees with 90% humidity needs the same cooling as our 105 degrees with 20% humidity? I suppose if I HAD to ride the RT in bitter cold (and I don't) I would buy the Aeroflow - awful in the summer though.

Bah, it's freaking 10:20 and 85 degrees out, around 60% humidity. Forcasted for 97 tomorrow. Our second mini heat wave of the year.

I just wish my CB gave me more airflow when lowered... I think I maybe should have only gotten the 3+ despite my 6'10" height.

I may give the CS a whirl and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

First weekend with the new windshield. Cal Sci shipped promptly, good fit, wind buffeting and noise is greatly improved. My wife noticed right away and is also very pleased. A good upgrade.

I purchased the CalSci for summer riding. My aeroflow is a tremendous product and works beautifully for everything except it's too good. I get absolutely no air behind it and on 90 + days it's hot! The CalSci is average at best and produces much more wind but in this case, it's exactly what I wanted, more air. Unfortunately, I have to have my face shield down to stop the wind hitting my face hard and kind of defeats the purpose of getting fresh air. So, another $$$$ spent and it doesn't really do the job for summer. I want airflow around me but deflects the high air that hits my face. I guess that's an impossibility. On the other hand, I put my Aeroflow back on and in temperatures of 60, 70 and 80 I love it. I can raise my Aeroflow to deflect the wind and lift my face shield and enjoy the ambient temperature without all the buffetting. I would say the Aeroflow is the better product.

Bruce

I ordered my CalSci windshield on Thursday morning after discussing the proper size with Mark and it arrived on Friday just in time for the weekend. I ordered the tall(+2"). It installed easily. I'm about 5'11" and weigh 175 lbs. I sit up pretty tall (all my friends comment on my proper posture). I see over it by about 2". I tried various heights settings over my 102 mile ride. I found that I could ride with the screen at the lowest position all the time. It seems to create more quiet space at any equivalent height than the stock screen. I rode the whole day with my helmet visor all the way up with no problem. I could probably have gone with the medium height (+1/2") and still had plenty of adjustment. So far I'm happy with the performance. As I put on more miles, I'll comment further. thumbsup.gif Tom

My wife and I took our first long trip (1400 miles in 3 days). The Cal Sci windscreen was near perfect. WIth the medium I have just enough air at low speeds all the way down. For more spirited riding I prefer ot look over the screen to see most of hte road, so I raise 1-2 inches. For hte freeway I either look just barely over it or raise it all the way and look through it. My wife notied that there is a lot less wind than the stock shield, and prefers it all the way up.

Best features: NO Turbulance. None, in any position. Very little back pressure. All the way up some wind does come from behind, but not a lot. CLear enough to look through the screen and the edges aren't distracting. THe screen si more stable (bounces less). The hole in the screen lets some air to the rider.

Negatives: The rain flows through the hole in the screen. Not a big deal, as some air comes with it which helps reduce fogging.

Overall: I have trouble believeing a shield could be better than this. Buffeting and turbulence are my biggest compaint of any sheild and it's completely gone with this one. All I hear is the engine, tire noise, the other cars and some wind noise from the shield istself but none from my helmet. My wife and I can talk at speeds under 40mph, and yell at 70mph and still communicate.

It's pretty interesting the perspective we have on windshields and that's why this forum is so great. I found the CalSci WS to be less then stellar and gave me too much wind. Compared to the Aeroflow, it's like night and day and clearly, anything is an improvement over the stock. But, one person's rave reviews on their bike about the Cal Sci and mine on the Aeroflow clearly show that it all comes down to what you're comparing it to. Having no wind complaints on the Cal Sci for some seems like too much wind after having had the Aeroflow to me.

My suggestion to these manufactures would be to offer a demo screen with a deposit so a prospective buyer could see and feel the difference. Some companies do this, but not enough companies participate in this.

Bruce

It's pretty interesting the perspective we have on windshields and that's why this forum is so great. I found the CalSci WS to be less then stellar and gave me too much wind. Compared to the Aeroflow, it's like night and day and clearly, anything is an improvement over the stock. But, one person's rave reviews on their bike about the Cal Sci and mine on the Aeroflow clearly show that it all comes down to what you're comparing it to. Having no wind complaints on the Cal Sci for some seems like too much wind after having had the Aeroflow to me.

My suggestion to these manufactures would be to offer a demo screen with a deposit so a prospective buyer could see and feel the difference. Some companies do this, but not enough companies participate in this.

Bruce

Bheckel--do you have a Calsci you want to sacrifice to the "re-sale Gods" ? I am in Charlotte and head up your way pretty often, if you're interested in selling. Send me an e-mail if so. wave.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Help! OK, I want to order the CalSci screen, and have (almost) worked out what size I need, but before I order and get it shipped here to Australia, can one or two of you confirm the best size?

I'm a tad over 5' 11", 78kg, and ride fairly upright: my choice is the medium, but a couple of you of similar stature seem to indicate the large may be better. Our summer is just starting, and the next week is forecast to be 30-35C (about 85-95F) locally, but winter drops to below 10C (about 50F) so I have to get decent cooling flow in summer, and "huddle behind" protection in winter.

TIA thumbsup.gif

Either medium or large, depending on what you want. This is less critical on the Calsci than most others since they smooth airflow out more when fully down and don't mess the airflow up as badly when fully up.

That is my shield in their pictures and is the X-Large. I'm 6'2", tall torso, and have the seat in the high position.

Just a thought: Since you are likely paying a fair amount for freight, and two would likely fit in one box.... The total cost on both might not be that much higher than one. You could ask Mark if he would discount the second one also. I would assume the taller one is better in the Winter, shorter one better in the Summer. Obviously you can't take advantage of Mark's offer to shorten one if you wish since freight will be substantial from Australia.

aggieengineer

I'd like to give the Calsci shield a try, but I have one question. The stock windscreen has a substantial compound curve. Judging from the pictures, the Calsci version in only curved around a vertical axis. Since the four mounting screws are all in different planes, are the mounts put under stress when the shield is tightened in place?

That is correct, there is a compound curve on the original and the CalSci ships with a curve only around the vertical axis. This really struck me as strange when I received the first prototype. I finally figured out that you simply snug down the center pair of screws, then start the upper and lower pair of screws a couple of turns. You then tighten the upper and lower pairs a few turns at a time until they are snug.

This seems a little strange at first but works well and you realize just how little curve there is in the horizontal plane. You are pulling down the upper and lower screws about 3/16" the first time you mount the shield. Obviously this does put more stress on the bolts and mounts but during the testing I mounted different Calsci shields around 40 times so it isn't a problem.

Either medium or large, depending on what you want. This is less critical on the Calsci than most others since they smooth airflow out more when fully down and don't mess the airflow up as badly when fully up.

That is my shield in their pictures and is the X-Large. I'm 6'2", tall torso, and have the seat in the high position.

Just a thought: Since you are likely paying a fair amount for freight, and two would likely fit in one box.... The total cost on both might not be that much higher than one. You could ask Mark if he would discount the second one also. I would assume the taller one is better in the Winter, shorter one better in the Summer. Obviously you can't take advantage of Mark's offer to shorten one if you wish since freight will be substantial from Australia.

Exactly my thoughts, but with freight it was looking a tad expensive: I'll e mail Mark and see what I can get.

Many thanks for your advice thumbsup.gif

I'm 5'11" but ride with the seat in the high postion for more legroom. I have the large, and wouldn't want anything bigger. I might still get even a 1/2" cut off. I almost get too little air on warmer days.

If you ride with the seat in the low position and don't want to look through the shield, defnitely the medium.

I bought the CalSci...tallest I could get (I'm 6'4") for my 2007 RT. It is without a doubt, in my mind anyway, the best windscreen I've EVER had. No turbulence, no buffeting. The higher I raise it, the quieter it gets. I had tried the rest, this one's the best.

Jmer,

Interesting. I purchased the Cal Scit WS and hated it. Way too much wind and noise for me even though I was looking for a WS with a little wind for summer riding. I sold the Cal Sci right away and purchased the CB and will try it out for the summer. I love the Aeroflow, but as I mentioned, in the summer it doesn't allow any wind at all.

Bruce

Bruce

I'm offering to anyone that is near Upland to come by and try out the CeeBailey, Vstream, and CalSci. I have an additional CalSci to the one on my bike so even if someone wants to borrow any of the three for a few days, it is no big deal. You really do need to try a shield for a bit to know what you want.

Wish I'd seen this a coupla days ago! Just ordered a used CB from Beemerboneyard. +2H and +6W. Stock windscreen just isn't protecting me enough, and this seemed like relatively inexpensive experiment. Anyone know just how much risk the w/s size might pose for the R1200RT mount brackets?

And I presume w/s position has an impact on mount point stress? More you raise the w/s, more vertical it becomes to your direction of travel, so possibly more stress (and worse MPG?) when 'up' than when 'down'?

Plus, I just added RS handlebar mount mirrors yesterday (a HUGE improvement, btw), but now I'll have to play with everything so the mirrors aren't fighting the w/s in hard R or hard L turns, which thankfully only really occur in parking lot maneuvering.

Greg--you have a good point. Impossible to try several variations of same product, let alone several similar product lines. As this thread demonstrates, some like Aeroflow, some CalSci, some something else. And within a single vendor, do you need +2 or +4, etc? We need a 'demo days' concept like some of the golf companies do here in the summertime.

ON my 1150RT I use a CB summer shield for warm weather and would like to buy something for cold weather. I will switch them out as appropriate. After reading this it sounds like the Aeroflow might be more appropriate for cold weather instead of the calsci. Is that how y'all read this?

thanks,

Steve

Wish I'd seen this a coupla days ago! Just ordered a used CB from Beemerboneyard. +2H and +6W. Stock windscreen just isn't protecting me enough, and this seemed like relatively inexpensive experiment. Anyone know just how much risk the w/s size might pose for the R1200RT mount brackets?

And I presume w/s position has an impact on mount point stress? More you raise the w/s, more vertical it becomes to your direction of travel, so possibly more stress (and worse MPG?) when 'up' than when 'down'?

Plus, I just added RS handlebar mount mirrors yesterday (a HUGE improvement, btw), but now I'll have to play with everything so the mirrors aren't fighting the w/s in hard R or hard L turns, which thankfully only really occur in parking lot maneuvering.

Greg--you have a good point. Impossible to try several variations of same product, let alone several similar product lines. As this thread demonstrates, some like Aeroflow, some CalSci, some something else. And within a single vendor, do you need +2 or +4, etc? We need a 'demo days' concept like some of the golf companies do here in the summertime.

I've not seen anything which equates w/s size to failure of the brackets. While the folks on the board who have had bracket failures (all?) have been using an aftermarket w/s, the number of bracket failures appears to be very low relative to the number of people using aftermarket windshields. I've had a CB +3/+3 for two years now and no bracket failure. IMO there are too many variables to be able to say a w/s or such and such size will cause brackets to fail. For example when riding in "clean air" there is almost no flexing or movement of the w/s. On the interstate, turbulence created by other vehicles causes a lot of w/s movement which I expect is causing much greater loading on the brackets. I'd also expect the days when I've been caught riding in 40 to 70 mph winds have put some significant stress on the brackets!

For wind protection of a person of a specific height, I would guess a taller w/s in a lower position would be more aero than a shorter w/s in a more raised position. I'm 6'3" with a 33" inseam, ride with the seat in the high position and the CB +3 height is IMO about perfect as I keep it in about the 50% position. For max rain protection I can have it full up at which point I'll be looking thru the w/s.

I bought the CalSci...tallest I could get (I'm 6'4") for my 2007 RT. It is without a doubt, in my mind anyway, the best windscreen I've EVER had. No turbulence, no buffeting. The higher I raise it, the quieter it gets. I had tried the rest, this one's the best.

Have you tried Aeroflow? If so, how would you compare the CalSci to it in terms of noise and protection?

Bruce

I'm offering to anyone that is near Upland to come by and try out the CeeBailey, Vstream, and CalSci. I have an additional CalSci to the one on my bike so even if someone wants to borrow any of the three for a few days, it is no big deal. You really do need to try a shield for a bit to know what you want.

I'll take that offer.

I live in Murrieta, Ca. and would love to try before I buy.

My medium arrived this morning, and I've had a short ride to check it out ;) Temp today is about 85F, humidity 45%.

Pro's:

Very quiet, quieter with this SciCal without earplugs than the stock item with plugs. All sort of drive train noises that I'd never heard before!

Good wind protection, although it will take some time to sort out height vs speed. The top of my helmet is wind free with the screen about 1-2" down, at 130-140kph.

Easy to fit: less than five minutes smile.gif

Cons

Reflections in the top of the screen in bright sunlight. I can see the whole bike reflected in the top 4-5"!!

Sharp edges, which could/should be flattened off in production, IMHO. OK on the outside, but all the inner edges are quite sharp, noticeably so when cleaning.

Otherwise, very happy so far thumbsup.gif

I talked to Mark at CalSci about the unfinished edges. He said they simply weren't staffed to do the finishing work and it would significanlty increase the price due to his lower volumes compared to his competitors. He felt the customers weren't willing to pay the extra amount and he hasn't had a lot of complaints.

I'm going to do some finishing work myself this winter with a dull razor blade and wet sanding paper.

How was installation? I ordered one and it arrived the other day & when I went to install it the shield does not want to line up with the bracket without putting a great deal of stress on the top bracket screw. It seemed as if I would have to force it to the point of potentially damaging the wind shield mechanism.

Thanks for your advise.

PS: I called the factory yesterday & they said go ahead and mount it & the shield would bend/flex over time to minimize the stress on the mounting bracket.

See my previous info on installation. You snug down the center pair of screws, then turn the top and bottom pair in a couple turns, then turn the top pair in a few more, then the bottom a few more, then another round and you are done. It is easy and there is very low stress on the brackets. During the testing I mounted them around 40 times. I thought Mark included instructions with them.

I'm going to do some finishing work myself this winter with a dull razor blade and wet sanding paper.

A machinist's deburring tool is perfect. I think you can get a Chinese one at Harbor Freight for $4 that is plenty good enough for home use since they are designed to work on sharp steel edges. That will give you an even edge and let you work in inside openings. Most people don't notice the sharp edge but I wanted mine better.

Thanks for your help, I installed it last night per your advise & it went fine. Tested it on a short ride this morning & it seems like a very nice shield. Still some noise in the low position -- but raise it a bit & it's very quite. It will be nice to be able to ride without ear plugs.

I talked to Mark at CalSci about the unfinished edges. He said they simply weren't staffed to do the finishing work and it would significanlty increase the price due to his lower volumes compared to his competitors. He felt the customers weren't willing to pay the extra amount and he hasn't had a lot of complaints.

FWIW, I'd pay $5-10 extra without a blink to have the edges removed, but I'm a lazy sod!

A bit more riding yesterday, again in 90F+ humid conditions, and I am even more impressed with the quietness and wind deflection capabilities of the shield thumbsup.gif

Still get reflections even in overcast conditions, but I'm getting used to them. Also enclosed was a bottle of cleaning fluid and a special cloth, nice touch grin.gif

Happy to endorse the product wave.gif

I forgot one other irrit: the blooming bugs get under the lower edges, and impinge on the little clear deflectors above the edge of the instruments. Damn difficult to get to, to clean smirk.gif

The "recipe" for the cleaner is also on his website. It's all stuff you can get at the supermarket for <$10... and you can make about 1/2 gallon of the stuff for that. Just ammonia, alcohol, water and a small amount of car wash detergent.

Archived