IGNORED

Will the real F800gs please stand up!

TEWKS

BMW has kept this bike under tight wraps so far. This bike IMHO when released will be a hit. If you believe what you read on the web, we should be seeing the real thing in August. These are a couple of unofficial pictures floating around of the bike. What do you think?

2007bmwf800gsr0wf.jpg

200682520175bmwf800gsproto07stpzcr2.jpg

Pat

I think it looks like.......um ah......a GS?

Looks great. Should be a nice compromise between the 650 and a 1200.

Is that a belt drive? I'm ignorant when it comes to the on road/off road scene (we don't have many places like that to ride around here), but that seems like a surpise to me. I wonder how well it will hold up under abusive conditions? Are there any other dual sport bikes running a belt drive?

It looks pretty cool; I haven't ridden one of the new 800s yet. I might have to take a spin on a GS for grins & giggles.

Neither of these are anything "real". They are both created by combining various parts of a real F800S or ST and a real R1200GS. Examples: Unprotected engine, skid plate hanging in thin air and "mounted" at 20 degrees off angle, belt drive, etc.

I do want to look at the F800GS but these don't actually help.

Should be a nice compromise between the 650 and a 1200.
Yes, although the F650GS is already too heavy for anything resembling tough stuff. That consideration aside I think an F800GS would make for an excellent motorcycle and I am going to guess that they will sell like crazy.
I think an F800GS would make for an excellent motorcycle and I am going to guess that they will sell like crazy.

I'm going to start saving now. Hopefully it will be more that a 650 with a 800 engine. I wasn't entirely comfortable on the 650gs.

baggerchris

I put the Happy Trail's highway bar and grill on the front of Pepper and together with the Cee Bailey screen and foam ear plugs, long distance travel is very nice. I am hoping for a tubeless tire option (like the 1200) and better wind noise abatement on the 800. I will be ready to buy in two years which seems about right. If they introduce it this year, it will have a little time under it's belt to work out the bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny...I was at Long Beach BMW yesterday and mentioned something about an F800GS and he adamantly stated that it was only a rumor and there is no such bike.

Yet.

roadscholar

It could be that BMW has created a dilemma with this bike. If the GS and possible RT versions are as good as the ST, and why wouldn't they be, it (they) might drastically cut into the sales of the 1200GS and RT, I think their two biggest sellers. They could have close to the same performance (with the probable exception of two-up), be much lighter, and would cost less initially and over a long period.

We may see them eventually and I'd bet later than sooner, but I hope not. The ST is a wonderful motorcycle, and any other variance of it would get a lot of prospective buyers (first time and otherwise) into the showroom, myself included.

I think BMW will be heading towards a smaller displacement enduro type of thing. A 800 GS makes no sense for BMW. They have the market in large displacement "adventure" bikes (1200), they already have (3) 650's(street, dualsport, dirt)...I think they will be heading towards the smaller displacement " enduro" type in the near future( BTW, they own Husky now). As another member noted, it would make sense to corner a portion of KTM's market.

Look at the success they have had with a 450 prototype...some revolutionary stuff going on with it ( see this months Motorcyclist magazine) ...

just my 2c

MB>

roadscholar

This could be true.

they already have (3) 650's(street, dualsport, dirt)...

Here's a juicy rumor, last week someone who may (or may not be) in the know told me two of the three G650's were being discontinued. With the acquisition of Husqvarna, the strategy for their small displacement bikes could be getting completely revamped.

BMW has kept this bike under tight wraps so far. This bike IMHO when released will be a hit. If you believe what you read on the web, we should be seeing the real thing in August. These are a couple of unofficial pictures floating around of the bike. What do you think?

2007bmwf800gsr0wf.jpg

200682520175bmwf800gsproto07stpzcr2.jpg

This picture has been posted here before but, I thought I would add it to the other pictures of the F800gs. I like this one the best so far.

lovemotorcyling4.jpg

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Could this be the real deal? It's interesting but, I'll have to see a few more pictures before

I'm ready to talk with my friendly banker.

BMWF800GS2007.jpg

BMWF650GS2007.jpg

Pat

Yes, Mr. banker, I NEED LOTS OF MONEY! grin.gif

18.jpg

30517261033.jpg

Pat

I have MANY strong words for you for posting that!! Not too many of them are nice ones either!!

Good Grief Charlie Brown!!!!!! Drooling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

18.jpg

30517261033.jpg

Yup, dat's da one. MSRP is $10,520. ABS is an $895 option. Heated grips come as part of a $695 package that includes the trip computer and a few other gizmo's. It's got a CANbus system, so adding accessories (do we do that?) will involve the typical Touratech or Centech CANbus bypass setup.

More to follow.

Lets_Play_Two
18.jpg

30517261033.jpg

Yup, dat's da one. MSRP is $10,520. ABS is an $895 option. Heated grips come as part of a $695 package that includes the trip computer and a few other gizmo's. It's got a CANbus system, so adding accessories (do we do that?) will involve the typical Touratech or Centech CANbus bypass setup.

More to follow.

Is the ABS switchable?

Per the article in Motorcycle-USA ,

392 lbs dry, 85 hp, 61 ft-lbs torque, 4.2 gallons of fuel.

Hmmmm, that puts it about 50 lbs less than the KTM 990 ADV. Very interesting. Buying a new bike is becoming a lot of fun!! thumbsup.gif

Any specs on dimensions, esp saddle height? Would be nice to see something less than 33 inch.
No Heat posted this in the other thread, but the seat height is gonna be 33 inches after all... The f650gs will be 31.

Press Release

• 2 weeks later...

Just an observation, but I noticed that in some of the pics in this thread the GS has hand guards and engine protection. are these just for show or options? Also are the handlebars Magura Fatbars or some other brand. If fatbars there are so many options for hand guards it would make for endless combinations. Additionally, the engine protection looks like a good spot for hwy pegs . Just a thought, I would like to see a catalog of optional items if there is one yet. I can't wait for this bike to hit the colonies, I might have to let the RT go and get this one!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, I would like to see a catalog of optional items if there is one yet. I can't wait for this bike to hit the colonies

I saw the bike at the Motorcycle & Scooter show at Birmingham (here in the UK - not the other one) this week.

The options are;

ABS

Computer

Heated Grips

Clear indicator lenses

Luggage

(I can't recall any more - working only from memory here)

I liked the bike very much and like you I might be tempted to trade my RT for one - it'll be in Dealer showrooms here early in 2008 and I hope to get to ride one then

I should have added that it seems that hand guards and engine guards are not part of the standard specification - I don't recall them being listed on the display as options, but they'll be in the accessory list no doubt.

There's a mad rush to get one and be the first on the block to have one. I think I might wait until I can get a better deal. Perhaps even used..?

• 4 weeks later...
Any specs on dimensions, esp saddle height? Would be nice to see something less than 33 inch.

Seat height is the same as R1200GS in the lower position and about 1/4" taller than R1200GS in the upper position.

I should have added that it seems that hand guards and engine guards are not part of the standard specification - I don't recall them being listed on the display as options, but they'll be in the accessory list no doubt.

By looking at the pics of the GS, I would have to say that the handguards shown are the exact same as those I just installed on my G 650 X Challenge.

LINKY

Darn. I like the F800GS. When looking at the 650 (too small) and the 1200 (too big), the 800 is just what I would have designed.

I'm not finding any specs on BMW's website, but I thought I read that the seat height was 32 or so. In any case, It shouldn't be too hard to drop 2 inches and still have plenty of ground clearance. Also, the seat is narrow which helps when putting feet down.

My bike was about 30" with a standard road type seat. I sat on an R1200GS (standard, not ADV) with 33.1" seat height and the my reach for the ground was about the same or better because of the narrower seat.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
RichEdwards

Saw one yesterday at Daytona. I like the lightness. I did not like the spoked wheels that require tube-tires.

Forget October... My guess is December at the earliest. Anyway you slice it, the 08 800GS is going to be an '09.

According to the BMWMOA website, BMW is blaming the weak US dollar.

Ummmm waiting isn't going to get BMW a stronger US dollar. I'd suggest reducing manufacturing costs or profit margin expectations. $13K for a nicely equip'd 800 seems a bit steep, but that's just one man's opinion. Raising the price to $14K due to a weak dollar isn't going to change that. dopeslap.gif
baggerchris

Be careful what you wish for. I know that they are now, or will be in the near future making some of the 650 single cylinder engines in CHINA!!! Woe unto us if they start making other engines there. How about a Chinese Boxer? Could we then call that a: "Boxer Rebellion"? lmao.gif

John Bentall
Be careful what you wish for. I know that they are now, or will be in the near future making some of the 650 single cylinder engines in CHINA!!! Woe unto us if they start making other engines there. How about a Chinese Boxer? Could we then call that a: "Boxer Rebellion"? lmao.gif

What hard evidence do you have that the engines made by Loncin are of a lower quality than those made by Rotax?

If you have any, you should report this to BMW AG.

baggerchris

None, but who would want to pay a premium price for a Chinese product at this point in time?

And furthermore, I don't need no stinkin proof. If BMW wants to start making their engines in China (or the entire bike for that matter), I don't care. There are lots of good makes out there. Maybe Chinese products will eventually reach optimum levels like the Japanese, but frankly, they are not there yet, and I don't want to be an owner of a Chinese Beemer. If you do, fine.

Chinese products aren't held in very high regard in the U.S. right now. Inserting lead etc into our kids toys is a bit unacceptable. Not to mention putting glycol into dog food. PCB's into plastics etc.

Don't know about engine build quality, but the GM products builts for their domestic market are marginal at best. I'm sure that BMW is aware of this.

Archived