IGNORED

Just noticed a huge crack/hole in my headlight

OoPEZoO

I was in the garage putting my new table saw together and walked past my bike. There is a massive crack and a hole about the size of a pencil eraser in the headlight. I just cleaned the headlight Wed or Thursday so I'm assuming it must have happened on my way home Friday afternoon. What a drag.....and I had been meaning to buy one of those protecters dopeslap.gif. Oh well, at least I have something to do to keep me out of trouble tonight

Anyone know if I can get the old headlight housing out without removing the fairing (R1100RT)?

I was in the garage putting my new table saw together and walked past my bike. There is a massive crack and a hole about the size of a pencil eraser in the headlight. I just cleaned the headlight Wed or Thursday so I'm assuming it must have happened on my way home Friday afternoon. What a drag.....and I had been meaning to buy one of those protecters dopeslap.gif. Oh well, at least I have something to do to keep me out of trouble tonight

Anyone know if I can get the old headlight housing out without removing the fairing (R1100RT)?

Keith...sorry about the bad luck. I know those things are expensive. I'm sure you thought of this, but have you checked beemerboneyard? Anyway, good luck getting it fixed. I should be getting my headlight guard Monday night. A guy here in Richmond had one that was damaged so cee-baileys accidently sent him two (slight blemish on one of the corners but no big deal) and told him not to worry about sending the extra back. So, good deal for me!

Keith: I 'holed' the headlight on my '01 R1100TS back in 2002, right before the fellow I sold it to was going to pick it up. Had to remove the fairing to replace it.

Consider it another opportunity to get to know the innards of your bike better thumbsup.gif

And get a protector, would ya? wink.gif

Keith: I 'holed' the headlight on my '01 R1100TS back in 2002, right before the fellow I sold it to was going to pick it up. Had to remove the fairing to replace it.

Consider it another opportunity to get to know the innards of your bike better thumbsup.gif

And get a protector, would ya? wink.gif

I don't want to get more familiar with the innards, I want a headlight that is in one piece grin.gif. Plus, it wouldn't be so bad except that I just about had the whole bike torn apart 3 weeks ago for a major tune up dopeslap.gif.

Keith...sorry about the bad luck. I know those things are expensive. I'm sure you thought of this, but have you checked beemerboneyard? Anyway, good luck getting it fixed. I should be getting my headlight guard Monday night. A guy here in Richmond had one that was damaged so cee-baileys accidently sent him two (slight blemish on one of the corners but no big deal) and told him not to worry about sending the extra back. So, good deal for me!

Actually its not that bad.....brand new headlight is only $135. Not that I'm excited about that, but at least it wasn't sticker shock. I'll have to call them Monday and see if they have any used ones.

AaaaHaaaa.....it can be done without removing the fairing! I wouldn't recommend it though. I had the side fairing pieces pulled/twisted to the point that I was pretty uncomfortable doing it. Either way, the headlight is out and here are some bad pics taken with my cell phone.

PS. Don't turn on HIDs after you have removed them from the housing eek.gif. I had to take a few minute break to get my eyesight back lmao.gif

DSC00005_Print.jpg

DSC00004_Print.jpg

DSC00006_Print.jpg

DSC00007_Print.jpg

I have disliked the looks of my headlamp protector since I installed it three years ago, hard to keep clean and buttugly. After reading this, I LOVE my protector.

The replacment for a 1150 is quite a bit more than a 1100

Jerry Johnston

If you put on a piece of 3m Rock Chip protection tape it'll cover the whole headlight and you'll hardly notice the hole.

It comes on a 4" wide roll and is expensive. I've had it on my bike for several years and it still looks clear and un-noticeable. I just took an exacto and cut around the outside. Also you don't have to worry about dust getting behind it. Looking at a piece of it, there's no part number on the back - just "3M An Industrial Specialty Adhesive".

If you put on a piece of 3m Rock Chip protection tape it'll cover the whole headlight and you'll hardly notice the hole.

It comes on a 4" wide roll and is expensive. I've had it on my bike for several years and it still looks clear and un-noticeable. I just took an exacto and cut around the outside. Also you don't have to worry about dust getting behind it. Looking at a piece of it, there's no part number on the back - just "3M An Industrial Specialty Adhesive".

I know I have seen precut pieces for cars in certain catalogs, but I have never seen it in a plain roll. I'll do an internet search here in a minute, but did you get yours locally or did you have to order it from somewhere specific?

And I agree, I would much rather use the adhesive protector before one of the plexiglass covers

Top job, Keith!

clap.gif

No clapping yet, its not back together grin.gif. Crap, I guess I actually have to drive the car to work this week.

Jerry Johnston

I went into a Napa store in the tiny town of Plains Montana and they had a roll (actually 6" wide) that they would sell by the inch. I think at the time I bought 3ft from them to cover the car lights as well as the bike. If you have trouble finding it I can send you a scrap to show them. I'm pretty sure you can get it on line as well - I'll look for a site.

Ken & Jerry.......Thanks guys thumbsup.gif. I'll just check some local shops here and see if anyone carries it. If not, I will mail order it

Steve_Witmer

You can obtain a plain rectangular piece of 40 mil adhesive vinyl headlight protector film from Aerostitch and cut to fit your headlight. It works well and is invisible.

Bimmer Boneyard got me a new headlight in 2 days, and Aerostich got me a sheet of clear vinyl headlight protector in 1 day.

I installed the headlight protector in the kitchen using a precut template I made from construction paper. I figured that would be much easier than doing it in the garage after it was on the bike. I trimmed it up using an exacto knife and it looks great.

By the way. I did end up removing the rest of the fairing in order to reinstall the new headlight housing. I probably could have done it without removing the side panels, but it was turning into a real headache trying it bend and move the fairing while trying to line everything up. Anyway.....all is well, the new headlight is in and I rode the bike to work this morning.

Only thing is.....I noticed ANOTHER crack in my Aeroflow windshield. I have had one in it for about a year, but it looks like another one has started at the same point on the other side of the shield. Both cracks are even with the top mounting bolts and are cracking from the bolt towards the center of the shield. I used a small drill bit to drill a hole at the end of each crack to try and keep them from spreading. I hope CeeBailey's gets their poop in a group soon. I'm gonna be needing a new windshield.

Glad to hear you are up and running again. Does the stick on headlight protector seem like it will be enough protection?

Glad to hear you are up and running again. Does the stick on headlight protector seem like it will be enough protection?

Yes.....it is extremely thick, but you don't even notice its there unless you look closely at it. I bought one 12" x 12" piece. It is enough to do (2) R1100 headlights and I still have enough left over to do my PIAA driving lights. You might need a bigger piece for the R1150 monster headlight.

My Dad rode to Alaska a few years ago on his Goldwing. He stuck some on his headlight before he left. When he got home, his headlight was the only thing on the front of his bike that didn't need replaced. He lost both of his after market driving lights, one of his factory driving lights, and the whole front of his bike looked like it had been sand blasted. His headlight was still perfect. That made me a believer.

...gets their poop in a group soon...

lmao.gifI'm writing that one down for later use! lmao.gif

Glad you have the bike back together.

Archived