IGNORED

Public Help at Bad Motorcycle Accident - -Nice Story this time!

Ramse

A very bad accident sometimes bring out the best in people who are trying to help.

(From the Norwich (Connecticut) Bulletin

Police: Fast thinking preserves severed arm

By DON BOND

For the Norwich Bulletin

WOODSTOCK -- Quick work by state police, rescue workers and bystanders helped save a Woodstock man's arm after it was severed Wednesday evening when the motorcycle he was riding collided with a car.

Police said Scott G. Plummer's left arm was severed near the elbow in the collision and the arm was found near the accident scene.

Sgt. Eric Murray, a patrol supervisor at Troop D, with help from bystanders, immediately packed the arm in ice, wrapped it in plastic and placed it in the ambulance to be taken with Plummer to Day Kimball Hospital.

Plummer, 36, of 24 Barber Road, later was transported by medical helicopter to the University of Massachusetts/Memorial Medical Center, University Campus, in Worcester, Mass., where, police said Friday, they were told surgeons were able to reattach Plummer's arm.

"Everybody did a remarkable job, from the fire department and ambulance personnel, to the bystanders who stopped to help the severely injured man," Murray said Friday.

"People just did whatever they could to help this guy," he said.

Police said Plummer was riding north on Roseland Park Road shortly after 7 p.m. when a car driven by Robert M. Packard Jr., 40, of 350 New Sweden Road, Woodstock, was traveling south on Roseland Park Road. Police said Packard attempted to make a left turn onto Senexet Road when Plummer's motorcycle struck the front of the car.

The impact of the collision caused Plummer to be thrown about 50 feet north of the accident. Plummer was wearing a helmet, police said. He also sustained a serious leg injury in addition to losing his arm.

He was treated at the scene by members of the Woodstock Volunteer Fire Department and Woodstock Ambulance Corps before being taken to the hospital.

Trooper Steve Corradi, who investigated, charged Packard with operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs, making a restricted turn, second-degree assault with a motor vehicle and operating without a license.

Packard was held overnight at the Danielson barracks on a $75,000 cash bond and appeared Friday in Danielson Superior Court.

His case was continued.

Corradi is continuing his investigation, with assistance from the State Police Accident Reconstruction team

...they were told surgeons were able to reattach Plummer's arm.
This never ceases to amaze me.

Wishing Mr. Plummer a speedy recovery.

daveinatlanta

This seems like a potentially good ending to a tragic story. Even if, as expected, the driver of the car gets off with light consequences, I hope the bike rider goes after the cager with a very LARGE civil suit.

I hope the bike rider goes after the cager with a very LARGE civil suit.

The chances of this guy having liability insurance are only sightly better than me winning the lottery..And I've never bought a ticket..

MC insurance is required in Connecticut. (Obviously, he could have been driving w/o making it illegal and hence another charge.)

Great job by the folks at the scene.Prayers and hope that Mr. Plummer is okay and that he will be able to have Mr. Packard work for him for the rest of his life.

ISYHTRAH

Wow, I browse my local (Norwich / New London) papers on the internet every day and did not catch this article. Glad to hear that competent people are available in my favorite local riding area.

Archived