IGNORED

Dealer arrogance leaving a bad taste in my mouth?

GoGo Gadget

Is that $1800 gross or net? What I mean is that it is not without cost to travel to another state to pick up a motorcycle, both in time and money. As we all know some people have more time than money and vice versa.

1.4k net/2 days on the road. Worth taking a friday or monday off?

Flame me and call me crazy...but this (motorcycle) is a pleasure toy...When I get the urge and I want it NOW...it is mine NOW... Life is to short to worry all the time...Yea I price check and if within reason (and $1800.00) may at the time because I want it now... maybe within reason.

These are our toys not needs I have turned down better prices because I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from a dealer also.

After all it's your money do with it what you wish and what make you feel good...

DavidEBSmith

Then again.....my local dealership is one of the ones that sells bikes for well under MSRP, and gets many out of state riders buying bikes from them. They know I have no intention of buying a new bike in the next 2-3 years, and the sales manager still remembers my name and gives me a friendly greeting when I walk through the door.

My local dealership (figure it out from my sig) is the same. In fact, every time I talk to the sales manager he asks how many miles on the bike, and says "it's got a lot of life left, you don't need a new bike yet".

Interesting how being customer-centric works for some dealers . . .

DaveTheAffable
..the service manager said, "Oh, you have the bike from Pennsylvania?" as a way to identify my bike. As opposed to, "Oh, you have the silver R12RT?"

Since I stirred the pot with my "Internet Prices" comment, let me try again... and improve the salad.

My wife and I have been married 26 years. I love her dearly. I came home one day a few years ago, picked up the mail, went in the house, and we had the following exchange:

Me - "Is dinner ready yet?"

Her - "No, I'm a little behind."

Me - (as I went down hall to bathroom, I shout behind me, "Oh, that's great." followed by the slamming of the bathroom door.

What my wife heard - "Why can't dinner be ready on time? (followed by slamming of bathroom door)

What I was thinking - "Great, I need to poop, and I just got a great magazine in the mail, so I can spend 10 or 15 minutes in the bathroom and I can still be on time to the table." lmao.gif

People are real. They have feelings. They have disappointments. They have business struggles.

If the dealer MEANT to say, "You're a bad guy for buying your bike in PA." ...Then SHAME on him.

If the dealer meant to CONVEY, "Wow, I wish you'd bought the bike here, I'm disappointed it didn't happen..." then he was being REAL. Maybe a poor delivery, but real.

I would not suggest for a moment that anyone should take a 'hit' for $1800, but real people face real emotions sometimes.

My best guess is that you will get good service, continue to buy your accesories there, and would even tell someone else... "If you can negotiate an agreable price, buy local when you can." thumbsup.gif

GoGo Gadget
Is that $1800 gross or net? What I mean is that it is not without cost to travel to another state to pick up a motorcycle, both in time and money. As we all know some people have more time than money and vice versa.

My wife drove me the 160miles up to Amish country to the dealer. I have several freinds who live in the area, so I hung out and had lunch with them and then rode back. So it was more than a trip to get a bike. The ride back was on my new bike, so that is worth every penny. So I spent $20 in gas maybe? Trust me when I say, I would not have accomplished anything productive on a Sat anyway, so the time was free.

Lineareagle
I have spent several hours talking with a salesman at this dealership and really appreciate his time and expertise.

This is the one thing that really will piss off a salesperson no matter how professional.

You spend several hours with him gleaning info, he usually depends on sales for HIS income, forget what the dealer makes, and you basically are stealing his time if you don't buy a BMW from him.

Fine you buy a Honda.

Fine you buy from someone else, as long as you give him a chance to match price or farkles.

As a past salesperson, not of bikes, my motto was always. I may not get all the sales but I can guarantee I will never lose a customer once I have a customer. Why? Because it is too expensive to get a customer and then toss them away.

Hence I would say I would try to win a customer by giving them service even though they didn't buy from me but there is a recognition that the one that bought from me deserves and has to get the service to keep them in the stable.

On the other hand the guy I spent time with, then he bought somewhere else and then comes back for service, well the odds are he will buy somewhere else again, I already gave him my best shot and he didn't buy it so . . .

Certainly if the opportunity arises to make money from him is there I would be foolish not to take it, but hand springs? I think not.

Now having said all that, ya still with me?

I buy my bikes in the US and import them. I mean we are talking major dollars here at least 5,000 on a new beemer and about 6,000 - 8,000 on a GW. No contest, but I make sure I don't waste a salespersons time here when I know I am going to buy elsewhere.

I have spent several hours talking with a salesman at this dealership and really appreciate his time and expertise.

This is the one thing that really will piss off a salesperson no matter how professional.

You spend several hours with him gleaning info, he usually depends on sales for HIS income, forget what the dealer makes, and you basically are stealing his time if you don't buy a BMW from him.

Fine you buy a Honda.

Fine you buy from someone else, as long as you give him a chance to match price or farkles.

As a past salesperson, not of bikes, my motto was always. I may not get all the sales but I can guarantee I will never lose a customer once I have a customer. Why? Because it is too expensive to get a customer and then toss them away.

Hence I would say I would try to win a customer by giving them service even though they didn't buy from me but there is a recognition that the one that bought from me deserves and has to get the service to keep them in the stable.

On the other hand the guy I spent time with, then he bought somewhere else and then comes back for service, well the odds are he will buy somewhere else again, I already gave him my best shot and he didn't buy it so . . .

Certainly if the opportunity arises to make money from him is there I would be foolish not to take it, but hand springs? I think not.

Now having said all that, ya still with me?

I buy my bikes in the US and import them. I mean we are talking major dollars here at least 5,000 on a new beemer and about 6,000 - 8,000 on a GW. No contest, but I make sure I don't waste a salespersons time here when I know I am going to buy elsewhere.

I agree with you. If I decide to buy the RT, I will definitely offer my business to my local dealer...I very much appreciate this salesperson time and knowledge, as I mentioned before. As a matter of fact, for me, if he can get within $500 of what my research tells me the "going rate" is, I will buy locally. It will be his decision to not sell the bike to me. Any more than $500 and it doesn't make sense to not buy a $200 one-way flight and have a mini vacation riding the bike home. I am after all, buying the bike because I enjoy riding...it wouldn't bother me to start off my ownership experience with a cross country jaunt.

For somebody who does pay $1800 for a "relationship" with the dealer, does it work? Do you get better service, other than not being subjected to snide remarks about where you bought your bike? For $1800, I'd better be getting a pretty good "relationship". Should probably get flowers with that kind of "relationship".

I'd say that depends. It's worked out well for me in two instances, and not well for me in one. Then again, I'm not the only one who seems to have had that experience at "one", so I'm not surprised.

Archived