IGNORED

Rear Tire Size?

Laffo IBA#34115

Laffo IBA#34115

My 04 RT needs new tires and am somewhat dissapointed that I only got about 7K out of the Michelin Pilot Roads so I am going back to the Mettzler Z6 of which I have previously gotten 10K+ miles from a pair. The tire guy said that the Pilot Roads are really not meant for a sporttouring bike like the RT as it is too heavy loaded up and that they are for a lighter bike like the FJR or ST.

My question is whether anybody has mounted the 180 55 ZR 17 instead of the stock size of 170 60 ZR 17. It seems that by gaining 10mm in tire width handling shouldn't be affected much. I have been told that they (the 180s) fit fine but are a little snug getting on and off through the swingarm.

Anybody riding on the wider tire and if so how does it fit/feel?

Thanks.

russell_bynum
The tire guy said that the Pilot Roads are really not meant for a sporttouring bike like the RT as it is too heavy loaded up and that they are for a lighter bike like the FJR or ST.

Dry Weights:

R1150RT - 592lbs

FJR1300 - 582lbs

ST1300 - 659lbs

Your tire guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

ShovelStrokeEd

+1 on the bad advise from the tire guy.

The 180 tire on that 5" rim is also a bad idea. 5.5" is the minimum rim width for a 180 tire and even that is none to wide. The tire is a lot happier with a 6" rim.

You won't gain a thing by putting a wider tire on a narrow rim. The resulting profile will wind up with even more wear concentrated in the center of the tire than you are now getting.

I also find it somewhat odd that the Pilot Road gave lesser mileage than the Z6. Are you sure you bought a tire rated for the RT's weight? They are offered in differing weight ranges, usually identified by a letter code. I got about 6K miles from new to cord on a Z6 on the back of my Blackbird and 9K out of the Pilot Road. Similar duty, although my bike is about 60 lbs lighter, I do tend to load the panniers, top box and pillion seat pretty heavily.

Laffo IBA#34115

Your tire guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

That was a given but I really did not put a whole lot of faith in what he said anyway. I did check the dry weights of the mentioned models myself and they were right there with the RT so ... confused.gif

Thanks for the tire width info. I will stick to the stock sizing.

Laffo IBA#34115

The 180 tire on that 5" rim is also a bad idea. 5.5" is the minimum rim width for a 180 tire and even that is none to wide. The tire is a lot happier with a 6" rim.

Actually I heard that the 180mm tire fits this bike when my father-in-law got new tires on his 04RT. The shop did not have a 170-60 so they put on a 180-55. I'll let him know that there might be an issue. Thanks.

Yes... it will physically fit, but it handles like crap.

I've pulled track take-offs off my Triumph and put 'em on the RT in the 180/55-17 size. I wouldn't recommend it.

If your father-in-law hasn't noticed ill handling, I wouldn't mention it to him. ;)

Archived