IGNORED

Removing the Rear Wheel on the RT

kinchy

Not as mechanically inclined as I would like but managed to pull this off without any surprises. Thought I might share the process.

Loosen the lug nuts while the tire is on the ground (or have someone hold the brake) Be advised that most dealers use loctite, so be prepared to put some muscle into it.

Unscrew two torx screws and slip the caliper off the disc, leave it on the wheel housing. Get the bike up on the center stand, remove the lug nuts. Wiggle the tire off (back and to the left) You don't need to remove the fender.

DON”T USE THE BRAKES AFTER REMOVING THE CALIPER.

Make sure the bike is supported (front loaded and steady )

Put the round wheel spacer (i.e., washer) on the caliper

Remove the disc from the wheel; the ABS ring goes with it.

Install Rear Tire

Clean and lubricate components where appropriate

Put the disc and ABS sensor ring back on the wheel. Make sure you use loctite and set these 5 screws correctly.

Tighten (torque) these screws to 15 ft. lbs.

Install the wheel on the bike with the spacer. Insert the wheel lug bolts.

Pre Torque the lug bolts to @37 ft lbs. Tighten them to 76 ft lbs. Use a criss-cross tightening pattern.

Reinstall the caliper. Torque the bolts to 17 ft lbs.

Test ride to make sure

Never seen Loctite on the lug nuts, certainly not called for.

Why are you removing the disk and ABS ring?

DavidEBSmith

Does the 04 have the disk on mounted on the wheel? Then you would have to remove the disk and ABS ring to replace the tire?. I think he's saying put Loctite on the bolts for the disc, not the wheel lug bolts.

Does the 04 have the disk on mounted on the wheel? Then you would have to remove the disk and ABS ring to replace the tire?. I think he's saying put Loctite on the bolts for the disc, not the wheel lug bolts.

David, why would you have to remove the disk & tone ring to replace a tire? I never do..

Twisty

Not as mechanically inclined as I would like but managed to pull this off without any surprises. Thought I might share the process.

Loosen the lug nuts while the tire is on the ground (or have someone hold the brake) Be advised that most dealers use loctite, so be prepared to put some muscle into it.

Unscrew two torx screws and slip the caliper off the disc, leave it on the wheel housing. Get the bike up on the center stand, remove the lug nuts. Wiggle the tire off (back and to the left) You don't need to remove the fender.

DON”T USE THE BRAKES AFTER REMOVING THE CALIPER.

Make sure the bike is supported (front loaded and steady )

Put the round wheel spacer (i.e., washer) on the caliper

Remove the disc from the wheel; the ABS ring goes with it.

Install Rear Tire

Clean and lubricate components where appropriate

Put the disc and ABS sensor ring back on the wheel. Make sure you use loctite and set these 5 screws correctly.

Tighten (torque) these screws to 15 ft. lbs.

Install the wheel on the bike with the spacer. Insert the wheel lug bolts.

Pre Torque the lug bolts to @37 ft lbs. Tighten them to 76 ft lbs. Use a criss-cross tightening pattern.

Reinstall the caliper. Torque the bolts to 17 ft lbs.

Test ride to make sure

Wayne, good write up.. You forgot to include that you really should use a ratchet strap or rope & tie the center stand to the front of the bike so it can’t suddenly collapse & tip the bike over.. Very easy to have an accident if that center stand isn’t tied into place while working on the wheels..

I will also add it’s a good idea to slide something like a piece of wood or even cardboard into the rear caliper when it is off the rotor so if the brake pedal is bumped or your neighbor kid squeezes the brake lever it won’t blow the rear caliper piston out..

I better never catch a dealer using Loc-Tite on wheel lug nuts.. If your dealer did find another dealer..

Twisty

I better never catch a dealer using Loc-Tite on wheel lug nuts.. If your dealer did find another dealer..

Twisty

Slight hijack

What's wrong with using loc-tite on the wheel lugs?

lurker.gif

Twisty

Slight hijack

What's wrong with using loc-tite on the wheel lugs?

lurker.gif

Don, first off depending on the Loc-Tite used it can act as a lubricant & skew your torque values (not a big deal in itself but BMW specifies no lube torque values) .. To me the more important issue is the inability to ever re-check the wheel torque once the Loc-Tite has dried.. Due to tapered lug nut seats & an aluminum wheel you could have the actual wheel retention back off but there would be no way to know by checking the lug nuts with a wrench or torque wrench.. Plus next tire change someone would have to remove all the old dried Loc-Tite from the studs & nut threads to get a proper torque value..

Twisty

Don, first off depending on the Loc-Tite used it can act as a lubricant & skew your torque values (not a big deal in itself but BMW specifies no lube torque values) .. To me the more important issue is the inability to ever re-check the wheel torque once the Loc-Tite has dried.. Due to tapered lug nut seats & an aluminum wheel you could have the actual wheel retention back off but there would be no way to know by checking the lug nuts with a wrench or torque wrench.. Plus next tire change someone would have to remove all the old dried Loc-Tite from the studs & nut threads to get a proper torque value..

Twisty

Yup, and could you imagine how hard it would be to remove those lug bolts if you were in a pinch and had to use the wrench from the tool kit to remove the wheel and they were stuck in there with red loctite (just as an example).

Not that it couldn't be done, but I know I wouldn't be looking forward to it. Sounds like a recipe for a hernia

DavidEBSmith

David, why would you have to remove the disk & tone ring to replace a tire?

I have no idea, I don't have an 04 1150RT to know how the wheel and disk are arranged.

On my 03 RT, I have only ever removed both wheels with all hardware intact for tire dismount/mount. No need to remove ring and/or discs.

How many Sport Touring riders does it take to remove a rear tire??

Apparently this village has a lot of special needs members who really ought to reach deep into their pockets and take their bikes to the dealer to save them from themselves.

AHH, the humanity. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Oh, and 1++ to the rubber chikens.

Does the 04 have the disk on mounted on the wheel? Then you would have to remove the disk and ABS ring to replace the tire?.

On my 04 RT the disk and ring are attached to the rim. I do not remove the disk or ring when I mount new tires.

Dave

Alright already

Perhaps the loctite on the lug nuts was mini-stroke induced. Don't remember. As far as removing the disc, it seemed logical since the tire was coming off the wheel.

The lug nuts were challenging to get off.

Hey, I showed some initiative, I'm happy. Thanks for the additional tips.

Wayne

Archived