IGNORED

Idaho, Montana and Beyond....Part 1

Redbrick

Kathy and I have been thinking about a trip to Idaho, Montana and up into Canada for over a year….We finally put it together and left Ventura County at oh-dark-thirty June 28th..

TheBigRide002.jpg

Kathy ready to ride…

Out to Hwy 14 and up to 395 with the first night planned around Reno..Stayed in Carson City and got up early heading for Winnemucca for breakfast…Found a little café downtown with a highway patrol unit parked outside, figured it had to be good and it was…A great breakfast with the best pancakes I’ve ever had..

Rode east grinding Hwy 80 to Wells and then north to Twin Falls for the night….Up early heading up Hwy 75 through Ketchum and up to the Galena Summit, one of my goals on this trip….Finally in the mountains on some nice twisty roads….

TheBigRide019.jpg

At the summit

On down into the beautiful Sawtooth Valley..We didn’t go into the small town of Stanley this time but stopped by the Salmon River and took this pic looking back at the Sawtooth.

TheBigRide024-1.jpg

The Salmon and Sawtooth

Then we had a great 50 mile ride following the Salmon down to Challis…A very enjoyable section of road….North to Hamilton for the night with signs of many, many deer hits along the way…Usually skid marks and a blood stain….Started riding with 2 fingers on brake lever….

In Hamilton we met 2 Canadians on Harley’s on their way to Sturgis just to see it…Really nice guys and with maps out they gave us our first info on where to ride in Canada….That was the first time I’d heard of the Creston road…..One of their favorites up there….

Missoula for breakfast and an hour trying to find the BMW dealer which we never did…..We are primitive riders; no GPS, no bike to bike, no music……Just riding…..A GPS would have been a great help at times…..

North to Kalispell on Hwy 93 then east to Hwy 83 down the Swan Valley….Not a great bike road as it is pretty straight but pretty country….

Hwy 83 deadends into Hwy 200 at the Clearwater Junction….Hwy 200 follows the Blackfoot River….We stopped by a friends lodge on the river but no one was home….

TheBigRide047.jpg

John’s Lodge on the Blackfoot

About 40 miles to Lincoln and the Lincoln Hotel…Made out of logs a long time ago it is an historical landmark and a nice place to sta though the building isn’t plumb..A few gaps here and there..…

TheBigRide048.jpg

Lincoln Hotel, Lincoln Montana

Early on July 1st we headed east on Hwy 200 to Hwy 287 and on through Augusta, up to Hwy 89 which we followed to the Canadian border…Went through Choteau and stopped at the visitors center where we had a hard time getting away from the older gentleman on duty….Seems Willy, yes THAT Willy, was giving a concert that night in Choteau and the town was atwitter….We had to move on up to Browning, St. Mary’s and the border at Piegan…..No problem there, just a few questions and a look at our passports and insurance cards..

Canadianbordercrossing.jpg

Border crossing at Carway, Alberta

Part 2 later.......

Phil……..Redbrick

Hi Phil

Mary and I did almost the same route about 6 years ago only we did it north to south. I shipped the bike to Kalispell and then we flew in and picked it up. I liked Rt. 83 even though it is straight it is beautiful riding through the pines. Sorry you did not stop in Stanley. It is a great litte town. Sounds like you had fun and thanks for the pictures.

Hi Phil

Mary and I did almost the same route about 6 years ago only we did it north to south. I shipped the bike to Kalispell and then we flew in and picked it up. I liked Rt. 83 even though it is straight it is beautiful riding through the pines. Sorry you did not stop in Stanley. It is a great litte town. Sounds like you had fun and thanks for the pictures.

Yes, Stanley is a nice little place and no paved streets as I remember....We stayed in the hotel there a couple of years ago...We should have stopped but just didn't......

Phil........Redbrick

Phil

The main route through Stanley is paved of course but the side streets are still dirt. If you are anyone else is up the way again Mary and I stayed in really nice B & B on Main Street in Philipsburg, Mt. on Rt. 1. P'burg is an old mining town. There is a great little pub/bar right down the street that was cool as well.

Archived