IGNORED

Nolan N102 NCOM helmet

chemman

I have the Nolan 102 NCOM and a non-NCOM 102. As far as the helmets are concerned, they fit (me and my pillion) perfectly, have relatively (relatively being the key word) low wind noise, and are easy to secure (I like the latch mechanism). The anti-fog liner works great. I do not have the Nolan NCOM system; it seems very pricey to me and my experience with Bluetooth is that the drop-outs are sufficiently frequent to render Bluetooth a PITA.

I'm due up for a new helmet by the end of the year, and the last time I looked at flip ups, (5 years ago), none of them had a very good visor to helmet seal. I like riding in the rain, but HATE HATE HATE helmets that leak water down the inside of the visor. I tried the old Nolan, adjusted the visor as well as I could, and water still ran down the inside of the visor, so I didn't buy.

Ditto for all of the flip up helmets. I ended up going with another Arai Signet, as I can always get good seal with Arai helmets.

Comments?

I've had an N102 for a little over a year now. I loved it at first, but my eye is wandering (toward a Shoei Multitec). Here are a few thoughts:

The N102 is a real bargain and compares pretty favorably to other flip-ups that are much more expensive. My N102 has held up pretty well. The only problem I've had, in terms of finish, is losing the two little rubber bars that are located on the top vent. Both of mine disappeared within a couple of weeks of one another. A call to CIMA International, the importer, yielded a free pair that was sent tome the same day I called. When I replaced them, I put a dab of glue on them to hold them in place.

My criticisms? Well first, I don't find that the venting system is very effective. Neither the chin vents nor the top vent yield an perceptible difference in the amount of air flow through the helmet. I'd contrast this with my old Shoei Syncrotec--when you opened up the vents on that helmet, it was very noticeable.

Also, the chin bar is a bit close to the front of my face. On a recent 700-mile ride on my son's SV650S, the pressure of oncoming wind pressed it uncomfortably against my chin. It was annoying as hell after a few hours. I'd note, however, that I don't experience that on my R1200ST, which diverts more air away from my helmet.

Finally, while it is a tool-less system, taking the faceshield off and reattaching it is a bit of an ordeal, at least compared with the Shoei system, which is easy beyond belief.

The pluses? Well, it's a heck of a bargain. The level of fit and finish is very good (with the minor exception of the aforementioned disappearing little rubber bars). The Vision Protection System (a flip-down sun visor) and the Pin-Loc anti-fog insert are very effective; both are standard.

Overall, the N102 is a very good helmet at a very fair price. However, if you require a lot of air flow in your helmet or if chin clearance is an for you, I'd steer clear of the N102.

I've driven 6,000 miles in a Nolan 102. Probably several hours in rain,a few in pouring rain. Never a drop of moisture inside and no fog.

Mike,

Thanks for the extensive reply. Lots of things to think about. I am also looking at the Multitech - once I can find one to try on.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have 2 Sy-Max, 1 N102, & 1 Multitec. Both Sy-Max are quieter than the N102 & Multitec.

The order of quality would be 1. Multitec, 2. N102, 3. Sy-Max

I have one, it's the best helmet I've ever owned. I've had Bell's, Shoei, KBC, BMW helmets and the N 102 wins.

I do not have the com system yet. However a buddy of mine has it and raves about it.

ISYHTRAH

I have a Nolan N102, a Schuberth Concept2 and HJC Sy-max. I like the Nolan very much and think its good value for the money. It does come with the pinlock fog insert which I am told works very well. However the shield removal looks to be a pit of a pain. According to the directions in order to put the fog insert in you have to first remove the shield - so swapping it in and out doesn't look that easy.

My comments on the Nolan are:

The flip up opening mechanism is very easy to use (easier than the Schuberth system)

The strap retention system is very nice. Once adjusted it is really easy to get on and off (Schuberth is equal here)

The sun shade is useful but not as good as the Schuberth system. With the Schuberth I can ride without sunglasses most of the time but the Nolan doesn't come down far enough for this purpose. However the Nolan does a nice job of shading your eyes when your riding into a rising or setting sun. Basically you look under it rather than through it - on the Schuberth you look through it. The biggest negative of the sun shade is that it whistles when its in the up position and out of the way.

Noise wise the Nolan is acceptable but not quite as good as the Schuberth (however all my flip ups are more noiser than a regular full face helmet).

The Nolan feels lighter than the Schuberth but once on the weight of the Schuberth has never been a problem even after 12 hours in the saddle.

Venting on the Nolan does not appear to be all that robust. Open the vents on the Schuberth and there is a rush air around your head - not so with the Nolan.

Since I already had the Schuberth I probably would not have bought the Nolan except I was having a problem with my Schuberth shield. My Schubeth shield was unusable in the rain as the anti-fog coating absorbed so much water it was like trying to peer through a rippled sheet of water. This made the helmet all but useless for long distance touring. I was told the face shield was most likely defective but getting a replacement took so long I bought the Nolan.

In Canada there is a huge price difference between Nolan and Schuberth helmets (Schuberth is almost double the Nolan) and I would have to say that the Schuberth is no where near worth that kind of difference. If I were choosing today between the two I would buy the Nolan based on the price for value basis. I have no hesitation recomending the Nolan.

My final comment is the that the Nolan fit me different than other helmets. Normally I take a large but in the Nolan I found the medium to fit me better. Also the front of the helmet seems pretty close to your face. You need to try one on before buying.

My final comment is the that the Nolan fit me different than other helmets. Normally I take a large but in the Nolan I found the medium to fit me better. Also the front of the helmet seems pretty close to your face. You need to try one on before buying.

+1

have a Nolan N102 I like the Nolan very much and think its good value for the money. It does come with the pinlock fog insert which I am told works very well. However the shield removal looks to be a pit of a pain. According to the directions in order to put the fog insert in you have to first remove the shield - so swapping it in and out doesn't look that easy.

Yes. I use the pin-lock insert a lot in the colder weather. It does stop fogging, but as you said, you have to remove the shield to install it. The shield has to be bent to nearly flat for the pinned insert to engage.

Once you get use to it, it's pretty easy to disassemble it all, (the 102 has an outside sun shade too that has to come off first also), but figuring out the mechanism the first time takes a bit of head scratching. And the Italian to English translation of the instructions is poor.

I've never used the fog insert. Do you leave it in there all the time (during cold weather)? Any impact on visibility?

When I got my 102 I popped in the fog insert and have left it in full time. It has had zero affect on visibility for me. Taking it on and off may result in scratching the insert or the visor. I like it so I leave it in. I will admit taking the shield off requires a bit of head scratching the first time or two but its a no-brainer for me now.

I've never used the fog insert. Do you leave it in there all the time (during cold weather)? Any impact on visibility?
Yes in cold weather I leave it in. In general there is no impact on visibility, but sometimes I notice some 'shimmering', 'hallowing' of bright lights, especially at night. Still though, the trade-off is worthwhile.

The insert is extremely soft though, and they do scratch easy. I've ruined at least one in a cleaning attempt that went astray.

Archived