IGNORED

Transporting Heated Vest Thru Airports

LuckyLeif

Maybe it's an urban legend, but I recall hearing that people trying to carry heated vests in carry-on luggage have been given difficulty from security inspectors. Evidently the wiring in the clothing is unusual and thus suspicious in the eyes of the security force. Anyone have experience in getting a heated vest thru airports. I am trying to decide whether to take my gerbing vest to Alaska next week - temps are in lower 50's and wet. The vest could be nice to have, but I don't want to abandon it at a security gate. TIA.

The only thing I can think of is to call airport security in advance and ask your question to them and hopefully they can expedite some arrangement.

Call your airline. They should be pretty hip to what's happening.

Perhaps have someone drop you off and come in with you. When you check in at the counter explain to them what's going on. If it's a problem give it to your friend to take home. I don't think it's going to be a problem. You may have wiring but they won't find the explosive device.

ISYHTRAH

Maybe it's an urban legend, but I recall hearing that people trying to carry heated vests in carry-on luggage have been given difficulty from security inspectors. Evidently the wiring in the clothing is unusual and thus suspicious in the eyes of the security force. Anyone have experience in getting a heated vest thru airports. I am trying to decide whether to take my gerbing vest to Alaska next week - temps are in lower 50's and wet. The vest could be nice to have, but I don't want to abandon it at a security gate. TIA.

I am aware of one case where this did cause a problem, however the individual was actually wearing the vest through the gate security!

If the vest is in checked baggage I suspect there wouldn't be a problem, but to be sure you could, as suggested above, verify with your airline.

Cheers..........Rod

+1, I've carried mine on with no problems. All since 9/11, first time, went right thru; 2nd time, asked what it was and had to pull it out; 3rd time, had it out as I went through and shoved it back into the bag as soon as it cleared the X-ray.

Paul Mihalka

I'd guess passing it through loose like another jacket may be best. If any questions, explaining should do. I had many non-riding people ask what it is when I stop at Denny's with the wires hanging out. I tell them what it is and tell them it is like wearing a electric blanket. They all understand that.

I'd guess passing it through loose like another jacket may be best. If any questions, explaining should do. I had many non-riding people ask what it is when I stop at Denny's with the wires hanging out. I tell them what it is and tell them it is like wearing a electric blanket. They all understand that.

I called the luggage handlers at Alaska Airline and they recommeded exactly what Paul said. They also said they had never seen this come up before, but as long as there is no battery or power source I should be good. They did advise to NOT put the vest in checked luggage.

UPS it to a hotel, bike shop or other address you can pick it up at.. That eliminates the issue.. As packed luggage it should be OK, but it will depend on the "threat" level along with the ability of a baggage inspector to desern what it is.. I wouldn't even attempt to run it through carry on with the wires..

TinMan.

Don't under estimate the stupidity of homeland security and how it is being implemented. My son's lacrosse team had problems getting a lacrosse head thru security (because it would be mounted to a stick, it was then considered a stick and thus a potential weapon dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif).

If you leave enough time, you can exit the security check and return to check-in where the agents usually have boxes for the purpose of sending items in the belly of the aircraft. I've had to do this in the past when I forgot to take my Leatherman out of my bag - yes it's a PITA, but you do get to keep your "stuff".

+1 on the other suggestions to ship the vest via FedEx or UPS. Just make sure you can count on the party who will be receiving the item!

Archived