IGNORED

03 KRS-Tires

ericfoerster

Eric,

roads are different so mileage varies, but I've gotten 7-8,500 miles on Z-6's through 5 sets.

Once, the mileage snuck up on me when I went 2 weeks w/out checking tires and went from 5500 to 7500 miles. Had worn down to cord, but that could have been any tire you ignored. dopeslap.gif

I commute 110 miles 5 days/week. Speeds from 40 to xxx with a big chunk on 2 lane, rural scenic byways.

I always carry bags, with full loads.

I find the Z's very good in all weather conditions.

Except for the one time, and that may have been the wrong rating (on sidewall, they used to have B, C, etc, but that system has been modified), I've changed the tires out w/a fair amount of tread left. I'm conservative there.

The z-6's are the overwhelming choice in our area at the dealership.

Your road surfaces may provide different results.

Aluminum_Butt

Geez, can't you just ask about dino versus synthetic? grin.gif

I'm with Tallman on the Z-6's. Grip is consistently good, mileage for me is around 8k, and the ride is nice. Outside of dual-compound tires, I expect that the absence of grooves in the center of the tire extends my tire life here in Illinois, where the roads are so flat. However, it also means that there's not as much indication of tread wear - hence, there have been a few cases of folks spotting exposed cord before they knew their tires were ready for replacement.

I had Pilot Roads on my former RT. They were OK, but I put Z-6's on that at one point due to availability on the PR's, and noticed an improved ride. Could've just been old tires to new, but I don't think so. That's one of the reasons I've stuck with Z-6's on the GT.

The GT came stock with Bridgestones - BT020's, I think. I'll never buy them. The front "distorted" (not sure how else to describe it) very badly and very suddenly at 8k miles. It's ashame, though, as the tires probably would have gone 10K+ based on tread.

I gave the Diablo Stradas a try, and I'm happy with them. Can't give any sort of mileage report, since I forgot to record the numbers when I replaced the Metzelers the bike came with. (and don't ask for any sort of technical appraisal, as I'm not qualified to give one grin.gif )

Dennis Andress

Need tires already?? clap.gifclap.gif

I've used the Avon Azzaros until they were replaced with the Storm. The Azzaros did a good job of lessening the truck like feeling a K12 has in the twisties. The Storms seem to take a little bit more to get started into a turn but once there they are the most stable tire in a curve that I can remember. The Azzaros were lasting over 8000 miles - if I consistently checked tire pressures, and kept them a couple of pounds higher than other tires.

Dennis

ericfoerster

The K forum is alive and well grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

OK, I am going to give the Storm a try. I had bad mileage issues with Z4/Z'6, so I am not willing to go that way again.

Eric, I'm a fan of the Z6's as well. They don't get as good as mileage, but I've never had a tire, front or back, slide on me in a turn. That to me is worth the loss in mileage. The dealer put Dunlops on my K bike last time. I was horrified! But I ran them anyway. I've had the rear slide about 4 times in 7000 miles. They are almost worn out. Z6s back on..

The K forum is alive and well grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

OK, I am going to give the Storm a try. I had bad mileage issues with Z4/Z'6, so I am not willing to go that way again.

Calvin  (no socks)

Eric, 5 sets of Z6s I only got 5-7000 miles. The grip is great...On the 03'GT....I put a set of Pilot roads on the K12s and they are wearing great... 7000 miles so far.... Torrey and back and still look good... but the grip is not... slip and slide.... eek.gif

I had bad mileage issues with Z4/Z'6, so I am not willing to go that way again.

OK, thanksthumbsup.gif

That saves me from having to recall my Z-4 & Z-6 experiences on my wifes 03 GT as thats all its had in it's 24K's.

Gotta say Z6 as well, tried most others except the Avons...there is one I wouldn't ever buy again...The Bridgestones...good for the first 2k miles, then they turned to s*#t...

Z6 sticky enough for me, and mileage good. Watch the pressures like a hawk!

98 K12RS thumbsup.gif

MB>

I had bad mileage issues with Z4/Z'6, so I am not willing to go that way again.

OK, thanksthumbsup.gif

That saves me from having to recall my Z-4 & Z-6 experiences on my wifes 03 GT as thats all its had in it's 24K's.

Makes me wonder what gives?

I get very consistent mileage.

Have seen dozens and dozens of them installed.

Not one customer has brought up mileage issues or wanted to change to another when that time arrived.

Have you used another tire in the same circumstances (same bike/riding conditions/roads?) and gotten substantially more mileage with the same performance of the Z-6's?

Also, there are different models of the Z-6. There is a letter on the sidewall (not speed rating) that should match the designation of your bike. Using the wrong one could affect tire life.

Over on the K boards, many riders talk of getting only 3-4-5-6,000 miles on a set of tires, and this includes all brands. Something about the K and eating tires. blush.gif

I get way more than that and although I'm a conservative rider, I don't ride slowly.

Let us know about another brand, your riding conditions and roads, and your mileage results.

Performance may be too subjective, or not, to evaluate. wave.gif

JerryMather

I've stayed away from the z-6's on the KRS only because of the low mileage I got out of the Z-4's that I used on my old RT. I love the tires but had to change them almost as often as I do on the 996.

So, I tried the 45/46 Avon's and they worn like iron and handled well. Switched over to the Pilot Roads and they seem to wear just as good as the Avons and I do roll on the throttle a little when I go out with my buddies. tongue.gif

ericfoerster

Strada seems to give me good mileage and great grip. The Z4/Z6 I've run in past varied. Some went 5-6 thousand and others only 3-5 thousand on the same roads as before.

Hey man, you need new tires already??

How many miles did you get out of the Stradas you have now? Look in the maintenance history, but they had around 2,500 miles when you rode off, and tires still looked like new.

Bike came with D220s; worst tires I've ever had. Never again.

Next came the Conti Road Attack; they were incredible, but wore too fast. I got 5K out of them down to the wear bars, but they looked almost done by 2,500 miles. I only left them there because I did several short trips on them.

And last came the Stradas. Same grip as Contis, but MUCH better wear. Best tires for that bike from the 3 I tried.

I wanted to try the Avons, but not the Z6s. Heard the Stradas were much better than the Z6s, even though they're made by the same company, Pirelli.

Well, my FJR came with the Z6s, and all I can say is they won't be on my bike again. Not nearly as good as the Stradas or the Contis. Yes, I tried them on the same twisty roads, and both bikes couldn't be more similar: basically same wheelbase and weight. I also started dragging the pegs on this thing right off the bat, but the switch to 'hard' on the rear shock had me riding the twisties at the same pace as the K without dragging anymore. Bottom line is I'd stay with the Stradas if you got 5K or better, but it's just my opinion. Later buddy.

ericfoerster

Thanks for the input on the tires. The Storms have been ordered and should be on a test ride real soon. Two bikes locally are running them and the reports are great. Mileage is the only issue left to determine.

JC, the Strada has served me well and I’ll not hesitate going back to it when/if the Storm does not work as expected.

The weight issue is about the same as the FJR. That kind of leaves me assuming that what works well in the FJR will work on the K.

Report to follow in a few thousand miles.

Dennis Andress

The weight issue is about the same as the FJR. That kind of leaves me assuming that what works well in the FJR will work on the K.

The K is hard on front tires. First off, its way nose heavy so the front carries more weight than usual. I think there was a front tire a few years back that had "B" version with an extra belt for the K. Then there is the usual BMW offset wheel track which wears the left side of the front tire different than the right. The K can be a handful when this happens.

Enjoy the Storms, I'm almost ready for my second set.

Dennis

Z6 sticky enough for me, and mileage good. Watch the pressures like a hawk!

MB>

Absolutely, those tires need to be at pressure or they track REALLY bad. Probably too much grip. The only other downside is that the very last bit of tire goes very quickly, in a matter of a few miles. So you have to watch the tread as well.

Archived