IGNORED

cost of a 6k service too high ??

redhorse

took my o4 R1150RT to malcom smiths for the 6k service.. estimate is $483.

is this a fair price? what have others been charged??

Bill_Walker

Here's a data point, for what it's worth. Sierra BMW sells a 2-spark Oilhead 12,000 mile service kit for $167.49. So that leaves $315.51 for labor. If you figure a shop rate of $75.00 per hour, that's 4.2 hours. That strikes me as a not-unreasonable amount of time for that service, IF they do it right.

The 12,000 mile service includes the following, per the BMW repair manual (items marked with an asterisk cost extra):

• Use BMWMoDiTeC to read stored error codes from fault memory
  • [integral ABS] Performing bleed test with BMWMoDiTeC
  • Change engine oil, warmed to normal operating temperature, replace oil filter
    when used exclusively in short-distance operation, or at outside temperatures below 0°C (32 °F), no later than every
    3 months, orevery3,000km/1,800 miles*)
  • Change oil in gearbox, with oil warmed to normal operating temperature
    at least every 2 years*)
  • Change final-drive lubricant, warmed to normal operating temperature
    every 40,000km/25,000 miles, or no later than every 2 years*)
  • Replace fuel filter*)
    Standard replacement interval is 40,000km/25,000 miles, with substandard fuel quality every 20,000km/12,000 miles
  • Check battery electrolyte level, top up with distilled water as necessary
  • Battery terminals, clean and grease as necessary
  • Replace intake air filter element
  • Replace air filter every 10,000km/6,000 miles when vehicle is exposed to high levels of dirt and dust,
    or more frequently as indicated*)
  • Check front/rear circuit brake fluid
  • Check operation of brake system, inspect for leaks; repair/replace as indicated*)
  • Check brake pads and discs for wear, replace as required*)
  • [integral ABS] Change wheel-circuit brake fluid at least once a year
  • [integral ABS] Change control circuit brake fluid at least every 2 years *)
  • [integral ABS] Perform bleed test with BMWMoDiTeC
  • Check clutch operating fluid level
  • Change clutch hydraulic circuit fluid*)
    at least every 2 years
  • Check rear lug bolts to ensure they are tight
  • Check rear wheel bearing play by tilting wheel
  • Check swing arm bearings (no play), adjust as required*)
  • Check operation of side stand switch
  • Grease the side stand pivot
  • Replace poly-V-belt*)
    Replace poly-V-belt every 60,000km/35,000 miles
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Check valve clearance and adjust as necessary
  • Check throttle cable for ease of motion, inspect for abrasion and bends, replace as indicated*)
  • Check cable free travel
  • Check synchronisation, adjust as necessary
  • Final inspection with operation assessment and road safety check:
    – Condition of wheels and tyres, tire inflation pressure
    – Clutch, shift mechanism, hand and foot brakes, steering
    – Lighting and signal indicators, warning and indicator lamps, instruments
    – Optional equipment
    – Conduct road test as required

Whether you believe the $75.00/hour shop rate (or whatever theirs actually is) is reasonable is up to you. I'd guess that the majority of us here do our own maintenance.

That seems crazy-high to me for a 6K service. Are they doing bake fluid, or tranny and final drive oil, or anything else besides the usual 6K service?

Seems about right to me.

Read thru what Bill included in his reply and then go look at the bike. Just look at all the parts listed and then imagine how long it would take to acutally perform the checks/tests/changes. Granted some things are just a look and a wiggle but still it takes a lot of time to do carefully. IF everything is done per the list, IMO it is about right.

Why not do it yourself? If you need help on the finer points of a service, PM me. I am not too far from MS and can help you out.

Dave

There seems to be intermixing of 6k, 12k and annual service. The price seems reasonable for a 12k service, especially if they are including the annual brake flush. A 6k service is basically just an oil change, valve adjust, and throttle sync with a few "inspects" thrown in. Parts for a 6k are only $49 from Sierra. So I'd say it's high for just a 6k service.

A 6k service is basically just an oil change, valve adjust, and throttle sync with a few "inspects" thrown in. Parts for a 6k are only $49 from Sierra. So I'd say it's high for just a 6k service.

Not that this will tip the scale in favor of the dealer's rates, I should add that in my case the final drive fluid wasn't changed at 600 miles, so I did it at 6K (other than labor it requires gear oil and a nut).

Davis

I am in agreement with you about the 6K mile service. Basically a valve adjust, TB sync, and oil change. I had the same service done on my 04 RT and the cost was $288. This can be accomplished in about 2-3 hours doing it yourself and you save about $400 based on the quote Kunsan received. I think most people would agree that is a bit more than pocket change.

re-read my work order to find out it is a "6k w/annual" service..smith has done all my work on my bikes;wr400,road

warrior and R1150RT that i didn't want to tackle..going to

follow up on local'tech days'..thanks everybody

Steve_Witmer

For a 6K with annual service that sounds about right. Don't forget they are also billing for the time to remove the tupperware and fuel tank to do the brake fluid change and ABS bleed as part of the annual service.

Was it THE 6K service or "A" 6K service.

My 6K service performed at 18K was $324. No brake services of any kind.

My original 6000 mi service was $343 , with no brake bleeds or clutch bleeds. They are performed on a time basis, not a mileage basis.

Did you bitch about the cost of the bike when you bought it?

Seems reasonable to me, unless of course they sent your bike back dirty and the tupperware was scratched up.

How often do you shell out 400.00? every six months, every year?

Don't sweat the small stuff, just enjoy the ride, provided you got a proper TBS!

If not, do as most others here do: Attend a local techdaze and "do it yerself"!

MB>

Bill_Walker

My bad. You said 6k, but somehow I read 12k. Never mind.

6K includes:

• Use BMWMoDiTeC to read stored error codes from fault memory
  • [integral ABS] Performing bleed test with BMWMoDiTeC
  • Change engine oil, warmed to normal operating temperature, replace oil filter
    when used exclusively in short-distance operation, or at outside temperatures below 0°C (32 °F), or no later than every
    3 months, orevery3,000km/1,800 miles*)
  • Check front/rear circuit brake fluid
  • Check operation of brake system, inspect for leaks; repair/replace as indicated*)
  • Check brake pads and discs for wear, replace as required*)
  • Check clutch operating fluid level
  • Check operation of side stand switch
  • Grease the side stand pivot
  • Retention poly-V-belt
    Re-adjust new poly-V-belt one time at 10,000km/6,000 miles
  • Inspect spark plugs
  • Check valve clearance and adjust as necessary
  • Check throttle cable for ease of motion, inspect for abrasion and bends, replace as indicated*)
  • Check cable free travel
  • Check synchronisation, adjust as necessary
  • Final inspection with operation assessment and road safety check:
    – Condition of wheels and tyres, tire inflation pressure
    – Clutch, shift mechanism, hand and foot brakes, steering
    – Lighting and signal indicators, warning and indicator lamps, instruments
    – Optional equipment
    – Conduct road test as required

Did you bitch about the cost of the bike when you bought it?
He's not bitching about the price, he asked a perfectly reasonable question.

Please pardon a possibly dumb question, but why would a dvd about R1200's be helpful in doing maintainence on an R1150?

A reasonable question. Because it helped me and I was doing 6K maintenance on my R1200. smirk.gif The gentleman who made the DVD is soon releasing a version to address R1150 maintenance, but the main projects: valve check/adjustment, TB sync and oil change are not worlds apart. I was passing along knowledge of a useful tool. (I expected that nit would be picked). grin.gif

wave.gif

picked my bike up.not happy with service.estimate blown.

total came to $543..was assured only BMW fluids would be used.was charged for spector shop oil @5.99qt.i had informed service writer "not to change gear&diff oil,i had done it @ 5k..they did anyway and charged for the diff oil.

oil filter@$19.50,diff oil $17.50.guess i must write

malcom a letter about his 'new service'.i been a customer

for 30yrs. frown.gif

picked my bike up.not happy with service.estimate blown.

total came to $543..was assured only BMW fluids would be used.was charged for spector shop oil @5.99qt.i had informed service writer "not to change gear&diff oil,i had done it @ 5k..they did anyway and charged for the diff oil.

oil filter@$19.50,diff oil $17.50.guess i must write

malcom a letter about his 'new service'.i been a customer

for 30yrs. frown.gif

That is ridiculous!!

I would highly recommend doing your own service. I did mine with the help of some from friends here on the board. Although it sounds intimidating it was very straight forward. We just got together on a Saturday and knocked it out. It took us most of the day (about 7 hours) but there was a lot of BS'ing and breaks involved...I'm sure if we had stayed on task we could of been done in 4 or 5 hours. It turned out to be much easier than I thought and a lot of fun. Just my thought...i know when I look at putting 6k on my bike every few months it will save quite a bit of money.

Archived