IGNORED

The Needle is Set --- Talledega GP --- July 7th & 8th

TN_R_Girl

Well, I am officially and totally hooked on riding fast ... on a track cool.gif

WooHoo.jpg

As a belated birthday present, my regular riding partner offered to let me ride his '02 CBR 600 F4i in the Novice Group at last weekend's Sportbiketracktime track days. To say I had a blast is a complete and utter understatement!! Despite the fact that I was on a strange bike, in a new environment, and riding in the rain a good portion of both mornings ... I couldn't manage to keep the shi*!-eating grin off my face the entire time! grin.gif

Although they don't encourage novice riders to use lap timers, my friend was riding in the Advanced group and left it running. The track was 1.3 miles; mostly left handers; with some nice sweepers and one reducing radius right-hander in the middle. My best time Sat. was about 1:23; by Sun. (and with the help of one of the instructors) I got down to 1:16!! clap.gifclap.gif

That's the good news. The bad news is that shortly after achieving that time, the rear tire gave out and I low sided going into an off-camber left hander to the back straight. frown.gif Funny thing though? I was leaned over nicely and hanging off properly, so I was really close to the ground when the back slid out on me and I gently touched down before the bike went spinning off into the grass and I went spinning the other direction eek.gif I swear to you, it didn't even hurt!! dopeslap.gif

I got up, gave the corner worker a thumbs up as he came over and helped me get the bike upright and pushed me across the track to the back end of the paddock. Once we got it to cycle back down through the gears, the bike started right back up. And although it did have grass and dirt in some places where it shouldn't have, the damage was minimal (the bodywork was cracked/scraped up from my friend's lowside a couple weeks ago at Jennings)and my friend was able to finish 3 more advanced sessions ... after changing out the cooked rear tire, of course! dopeslap.gif

TalledegaJuly07019.jpg

TalledegaJuly07020.jpg

As for me, the gear did it's job and I walked away with nothing more than a sore, hyper-extended thumb thumbsup.gif

TalledegaJuly07017.jpg

TalledegaJuly07018.jpg

TalledegaJuly07016.jpg

So .. like the title says, the needle is set; new leathers are on order; and I most definitely plan on doing some more of this!!

TalledegaJuly07011.jpg

Talladega7-78-07003.jpg

Good work! You'll find that you've landed on an expensive habit! thumbsup.gif

I was afraid of that!! smirk.gif

StretchMark

You're one tough cookie! Great job on the lap time improvements! Sounds like the perfect lowside, if you are going to have one.

Sounds like the perfect lowside, if you are going to have one.

Exactly! It was an odd sensation to know exactly what was happening, and why, and to feel no fear or panic. Just stayed on the throttle in case the rear tire decided to stick afterall and when it didn't, slid off into the grass.

And I did know exactly what was happening. As my friend passed the bike off to me for that session he showed me the groove and lip that had formed near the edge and says "I'm gonna need to change out that rear tire when you bring it back in ... but at the speeds you're going, it shouldn't affect you." Poor guy, how was he to know I was gonna knock 8 seconds or more off my times from the last session smirk.gif

russell_bynum

I can vouch for that. The good news: You don't need the latest and greatest hot bike to learn and have fun at the track. You can pick up a track prepped SV650 for less than $3K including spares and such.

Of course, you'll need a pickup or a trailer to get your new track bike to the track. And you'll want an EZ-Up canopy to keep cool. You'll need leathers, of course. And you probably don't want to risk your street gear, so you'll need a new helmet and gloves, too. Your street boots are fine for teh street, but you'll want some track-specific boots since they provide better protection.

You'll want a small air tank to inflate tires, tools, folding chairs, etc.

Of course...then there's track day fees, tires, and brake pads. Oh...and track schools. Don't screw around with this...spend the money to go to one of the real schools (not the little "school" they do with some track days). It'll cost more, but it's WELL worth it.

grin.gif

Lookin' good, by the way!

I can vouch for that. The good news: You don't need the latest and greatest hot bike to learn and have fun at the track. You can pick up a track prepped SV650 for less than $3K including spares and such.

Of course, you'll need a pickup or a trailer to get your new track bike to the track. And you'll want an EZ-Up canopy to keep cool. You'll need leathers, of course. And you probably don't want to risk your street gear, so you'll need a new helmet and gloves, too. Your street boots are fine for teh street, but you'll want some track-specific boots since they provide better protection.

You'll want a small air tank to inflate tires, tools, folding chairs, etc.

Of course...then there's track day fees, tires, and brake pads. Oh...and track schools. Don't screw around with this...spend the money to go to one of the real schools (not the little "school" they do with some track days). It'll cost more, but it's WELL worth it.

grin.gif

Lookin' good, by the way!

lmao.gif

My savings account is feeling smaller and smaller already! smirk.gif

But, hey .. I've got nobody to answer to but myself ... and I sure can't take it with me! thumbsup.gif

Let the games begin grin.gif

Lone_RT_rider
The good news: You don't need the latest and greatest hot bike to learn and have fun at the track. You can pick up a track prepped SV650 for less than $3K including spares and such.

Didn't you just sell a SV650S? crazy.gif

Great job Shannon! I wish I could have been there.. thumbsup.gif

Shawn

Didn't you just sell a SV650S? crazy.gif

Great job Shannon! I wish I could have been there.. thumbsup.gif

Shawn

Yep ... wouldn't you know it?? I was being fiscally responsible because "I can't possibly justify having three bikes in my garage" lmao.gif

Awesome! We have got to meet someday...I think we'd get along swimmingly! thumbsup.gif

I am totally 100% addicted to the track. I just love it! So much so, that I just did a track day in Pahrump when it was 103 outside! eek.gif

Sorry about the crash, but I am glad it didn't seem to faze you.

If you've never been to track school, I highly recommend it, however, your form already looks pretty good! (Ridesmart?) Track school is definitely good to pick up pointers to practice on your track days.

Oh, and you just HAVE to come to Vegas this October for Femmoto. And bring Christine with you... I just can't seem to get that girl out here for that...someday! wave.gif

Awesome! We have got to meet someday...I think we'd get along swimmingly! thumbsup.gif

I am totally 100% addicted to the track. I just love it! So much so, that I just did a track day in Pahrump when it was 103 outside! eek.gif

Sorry about the crash, but I am glad it didn't seem to faze you.

If you've never been to track school, I highly recommend it, however, your form already looks pretty good! (Ridesmart?) Track school is definitely good to pick up pointers to practice on your track days.

Oh, and you just HAVE to come to Vegas this October for Femmoto. And bring Christine with you... I just can't seem to get that girl out here for that...someday! wave.gif

I agree!! And, I'd love to head that way soon ... it would be a blast! I was hoping to come to Femmoto this year with a gal pal from the VFR board, but I've got a jury trial set to start the following Monday that looks like an almost-definite "go" so no, trip for me the weekend before frown.gif However, I can plan on it for '08 and just block that time off my calendar so it doesn't get scheduled! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the compliment on my form ... Ride Smart definitely got my upper body where it needs to be. But getting my lower body in position was a whole different story. One instructor said I was going to need a chiropractor if I didn't get my butt off the seat smirk.gif So, that's what I worked on the most ... by the end of the second day, I think I mostly had it:

tallyproofShannon.jpg

by the end of the second day, I think I mostly had it

Nice job...for a woman! lmao.gif (couldn't resist)

You look great! This was your first track day? Too cool! Took me a while to get the hang of it, but I love it now. I like to just keep improving form, time, etc. thumbsup.gif

by the end of the second day, I think I mostly had it

Nice job...for a woman! lmao.gif (couldn't resist)

Now that's some funny stuff right there!! lmao.gif

StretchMark

And I did know exactly what was happening. As my friend passed the bike off to me for that session he showed me the groove and lip that had formed near the edge and says "I'm gonna need to change out that rear tire when you bring it back in ... but at the speeds you're going, it shouldn't affect you." Poor guy, how was he to know I was gonna knock 8 seconds or more off my times from the last session

I may be stirring things up here a bit, but I have to wonder if HE would have gone out with that tire for one more session. If the answer was no, I'd be pissed off. When the tire is already cooked, it's not too hard to lose traction even at the "speeds you're going".

"...wonder if HE would have gone out with that tire for one more session"

Assuming, of course that it was the tire's fault. She is, after all, just a girrrrrr, uhhhh...I mean, she is new to the bike, and a new track, and all. Even Schwantz fell off and went boom a few times.

Low sides are actually kind of fun. I went down at Roebling Road (near Savannah) in turn 1 when my engine seized. I was already at full lean and just kind of got that 'hmmm, wasn't there a bike around here just a minute ago???' feeling. I slid a looooonnnnngggg way, but only got a bruised palm from when I flipped over once I got down to crawling speed. All the time I was sliding, I was grinnin' and laughing. It took me 5 minutes to stop laughing after I picked the bike up and pushed it to the inside of the turn. Even the corner workers were laughing because of the distance I covered on my backside. lmao.gifI just changed all my entries over to my backup bike and finished out the day with some of my best finishes of the season.

BTW - I was going probably 90+ mph when the bike went away...

I may be stirring things up here a bit, but I have to wonder if HE would have gone out with that tire for one more session. If the answer was no, I'd be pissed off. When the tire is already cooked, it's not too hard to lose traction even at the "speeds you're going".

I do think he would have gone out on it one more session had we not been swapping off. And given that he has always had my best interests at heart when it comes to riding, I have no doubt that he would not have let me take it out if he thought it was dangerous.

[.

BTW - I was going probably 90+ mph when the bike went away...

90 in turn 1 at roebling. Having raced porsche/vetts and firehawk camaros there for many years, I take my hat off to you.

Assuming, of course that it was the tire's fault. She is, after all, just a girrrrrr, uhhhh...I mean, she is new to the bike, and a new track, and all. Even Schwantz fell off and went boom a few times.
lmao.gif

I was already at full lean and just kind of got that 'hmmm, wasn't there a bike around here just a minute ago???' feeling.
+1 Although I was not laughing while I slid eek.gif that's exactly what I thought too! grin.gif
grin.gif

Happy Bunny, You sure you can afford that mini-vacation to Florida given your new HABIT??? LOL

Looking great!

Probably not, but the vacay was planned before I got hooked on this, so I'm going anyway! grin.gif

Very nice! and two days at Barber is only two weeks and $350 away...I'll drive! grin.gif

You evil, evil man!! Don't be tempting me like that! wink.gif

First things first, I'm going to invest in a track dedicated machine that I won't bncry.gif about if it gets scraped up! smirk.gif

+10 on the expensive hobby! I did several days with Team ProMotion last year. Gave it up because of the $$. Still spending bucks on motorcycles, just not at the track blush.gif169506273-S.jpg

Archived