R1100RT-P

SOTA

just got my RTP an hour ago

would like to know what those 2 little lights right above the dash and right below the windshield are for one red the other yellow, the yellow one does not turn off, even with the key out, do all Rt have these or only the police ones.

when I had it dropped off the battery was dead, plug the bmw charger into the socket started in about 10 min.

just went out and looked had the light switch on the right side of the handle bar one click if I go 2 clicks they both turn on.

So I take it that switch is not good for anything so just leave it off since the emergency lights are not on the bike any more.

yep, you got it. On my 1150 the emergency light switch was the heated grip switch. It would be easy for me to return it to said function. Just unplug the add on heat grip switch and plud in the old switch. You may be able to do the same or similar with your 1100. I know there are some differenced in the controls but without a pic I not positive.

Only 23K miles? You got a virgin! Mine had 63K on it when I got it. Little LEDs had wires cut. Wunderful so far. Just change oil and tires It's working on 107K now.

All the policey stuff was removed when I got mine and it lost 30+ pounds when I removed all the crash bar stuff.

If you cut out the flat plate inside the rear box you get a great storage area.

Ride like they're chasing you. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Pics of my new bike and one pic of my airhead that I had for a month and did not like had no trouble selling it.

and of my 96 1100 that I had fixed up just the way I wanted it . but being new tried keeping up with alot more experience riders then I was, and went into a curve to fast and that was the end of that bike.

http://meatman.smugmug.com/gallery/3094504/1/170699335

in one of those pics on the rtp there is a little black button on the left side, right by the handle you grab to put it on the center stand what is it for or was for.

Officer_Impersonator

Here's my '02 1150 RT-P:

http://dvandkq.net/images/20070627-024.jpg

Got her with 23,750 miles. The bike was never in police service, so those are all easy, recreational, old man, Sunday drive miles.

You are correct about the right handlebar thumb switch. First position (all the way "up") is "off", middle position is "front strobes on", and "down" position is "front and rear strobes on".

The corresponding LEDs on the dash to which you refer tell you what's been turned on.

Mine has been configured so that the middle position activates my PIAA 1100x driving lights, and the "down" position adds the PIAA 910 "deer blinders" to the mix.

The PIAA 910s are great because they look like real police lights. I'll have to take a picture with everything turned on. Hope my camera's aperture can be closed down far enough so I don't blind the image sensor!

Officer_Impersonator

In the first photo, it looks like the large black piece is mounted/attached to a smaller bracket of some sort.

This bracket sure looks like the fire extinguisher mounting bracket on the right side of my RTP, which in turn mounts to the forward part of the right rear crash bar.

Its padded on the inside and has lock on it

I think it is a radio box but don't know where it goes

I know the guy I got the bike from said he was bumping his leg on some box and took it off and put it in the case for me.

GrumpyOldMan
in one of those pics on the rtp there is a little black button on the left side, right by the handle you grab to put it on the center stand what is it for or was for.

The black button is for 'dimming' the strobe lights to a lower intensity during fog conditions (to lessen the light reflection). The light intensity also resets itelf to the higher intensity whenever the strobe system is cycled OFF and back ON. At least that is what I read it's supposed to do. My RT-P came fully CHP equipped and I could never notice the difference in strobe intensity when I cycled this switch. I suspect the change in strobe intensity is minor.

Baba_ORiley
just got my RTP an hour ago

would like to know what those 2 little lights right above the dash and right below the windshield are for one red the other yellow, the yellow one does not turn off, even with the key out, do all Rt have these or only the police ones.

On my RT-P the LEDs are red and blue, but neither one lights up anymore.

Welcome to the "Authority" club!

That may be the radar gun holster. smirk.gif

I agree. The dog's nose gave me a size indication. Otherwise I would have said that it may have been part of the shotgun holder. Hmmm I wonder what people would think if I put a shotgun on the back of my bike. grin.gif

This is my 1st RT and I love it, been though a few bikes in my short riding time trying to find the right on, and this one is it. my question is on the gears all my past bikes have been 5 speeds, just like this rt, but most of them I am in 5th gear by 50-55 mph sifting at 4,000 rpm,now this 1100RT around town I am not getting out of 3rd and highway at 55-60 mph still in 4th , and not getting into 5th in till I am going 60-65 and at 70 still not at 4,000 rpm, is this normal, 1st time out was shifting way to soon now paying more attention to the sound of the motor and very surprised how fast I am going to what gear I am in.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

...is this normal?

Yes, this is normal. If I get above 3rd around town, then I'm going too fast. blush.gif

FYI, 5th on the RT-P models is geared a little lower than the civilian RTs, supposedly for "better performance", albeit with a slightly lower top speed.

My, how suprising it is to be the fly on the wall and see the unfolding of the new experiences of ownership.

You wadded one 96 bike and got rid of another R bike? Now you are suprised at the throttle action of the RTP.

My I suggest Motorcycle safety Foundation to you?

I've been riding for years, maybe 45, and have attended 2 sessions of the MSF. Done one track day a million years ago.

These are great opportunities to learn and improve ones skill. Read all the safety stuff in the magazines and try to practice it.

Opening the throttle on the RTp will make you go mofaster and is entirely at your control.

If you wanna have fun wack the throttle on the freeway on ramp until it wheezes in 1st, 'bout 45mph, keep it wacked in 2nd,'bout 70. Then blend in with traffic, up shift and lane split to work. Works for me.

I find the riding the mountain roads 5th is too tall to keep the engine happy. I ride in 4th most of the time.

Oh, you're from Florida, no mountains. Well, no matter. dopeslap.gif

My, how suprising it is to be the fly on the wall and see the unfolding of the new experiences of ownership.

You wadded one 96 bike and got rid of another R bike? Now you are suprised at the throttle action of the RTP.

My I suggest Motorcycle safety Foundation to you?

there always one on every board. even after I ride for 45 years I sure I am not going to be as good as you think you are.

did take the class and learned alot

did learn a lot from my 10 mph left turn where I dropped the bike. down shift to late and to low locked the tire up.

I am so glad I am the 1st new rider every to drop a bike in a turn.

as me trying to find a bike that I like, and after all I am riding to have fun, and having a bike that I like is a big factor.

give me your name and number and next time I want to buy a bike I will call you to get the ok.

why do people that think they are so much better then everyone bug the crap out of me.

theres are difference between criticism and a just being a jack.

by the way there is a throttle difference between the RT and the R1100GS and the 100GSPD.

up to day everyone has been helpful with out putting me down for asking questions

KentuckyBlue

Sometimes people can get under your skin, but that's just life. Don't take all comments personally. You will find that the positive, encouraging, helpful and constructive information you will get on this forum will far outweigh the negative. Stay with us!!

Ray

Not to be putting down! When I got my first beemer with two discs up front, a R65LS, I dumped the bike several times going into driveways before I learned how to use them. I was coming from an Ariel whose brakes were imaginary at best.

I guess now I'm used to more modern stuff. As for the throttle diference between bikes, it's horsepower vs weight.

The older I get the faster I were.

Don't get to bent at folks funnin' you, you might make good company. dopeslap.gif

Congratulations on your new purchase. I know I've enjoyed mine. No, that's not right. I love mine...

Anyway, if you want to have all of the gadgets available for an RT-P, check out the picture attached to this post.

eek.gif

891213-ShotgunMount(Large).thumb.jpg.0e0aa8b35da138b6397ee4caeef3ddfc.jpg

I thought I seen somewhere on this board that those electrical boxes that at one time controlled the lights and sirens under the radio box if taken out are worth some money.

thinking about having mine and all the wires removed from the bike

Archived