99 R1100RT-Stiff front shock plus sensitive throttle= rough ride

motoleo

Anyone ever have a rough riding RT? My newly purchased 99 R1100RT with about 6800 miles on it seems to ride very stiff and my mechanic is suggesting it might be the front shock. It seems like the shock is very stiff and every ripple on road is felt. It also has an extremely sensitive throttle and the stiff ride is causing my throttle hand to move back and forth while riding causing a bucking type of ride.

Other than replacing the front shock (or trying out used shock) any suggestions?

Lower the tire air pressure.......

Stan

Stan,

The front is at 31 psi and rear at 36, the recommended pressures that are in the owners manual for solo riding which is what I do. I did check the tire pressures with 2 different tire gauges.

Lenny,

I assume that you're tried backing off the preload and/or rebound damping?

Yep. My mechanic had set-up the suspension with me sitting on the seat bouncing up and down.

Then you've got a kind of strange problem... with the damping backed all the way out the front end should be kind of soft with the stock shock, certainly not hard. Short of a simple mistake like having the damping set to maximum when you think it's at minimum or something like that I don't know what's going on. Perhaps some bit of foreign material has become lodged in the damping orifice or something weird like that. Could the front end be misaligned causing stiction in the fork tubes? Just throwing stuff out at this point...

6800 miles in 8 years ??!! maybe something is sticking or seized, could it just need a few hundred miles to loosen up again ? peronally I always feel very low mileage vehicles are as bad as very high, lack of use can cause more problems.

6800 miles in 8 years ??!! maybe something is sticking or seized, could it just need a few hundred miles to loosen up again ? peronally I always feel very low mileage vehicles are as bad as very high, lack of use can cause more problems.

I got the bike with 6000 and put on an additional 800 so far. I'm going to wait a bit and put more miles on the bike beforte I switch out the front shock with a spare used one my mechanic has to see if that solves the problem.

Whoa, Seth - the front shock is adjustable ?
Whoa, perhaps not. I've had aftermarket shocks on my bike since it was a year old and I thought I remembered that the stock front shock at least had adjustable rebound damping, but thinking about it again maybe not!! You mean I paid all that money for a premium motorcycle and it didn't even have an adjustable front shock..? grin.gif

Of course, that makes Lenny's problem all the stranger...

Steve_Witmer

As you are new to the bike, it hasn't gotten you properly broken in.

Are you experiencing this "sensitive throttle" condition at relatively low speeds, i.e., riding around your neighborhood? This bike hates to be ridden this way.

You may be experiencing the "surging" phenomenon widely discussed on this board which can result from improprly adjusted valves in combination with the very lean fuel injection programming. Try keeping the revs up (preferably well above 2,500) and see if your throttle problem goes away.

As for the suspension, it is at least theoretically possible that you are experiencing some sticking in the front tubes or the shock if the bike sat for a while. Ride more and see if it loosens up and solves itself.

It took a couple thousand miles with the RT (after riding a Honda for a few years) before I got myself sorted out with the throttle and transmission for reasonably smooth operation, and my bike had the advantage of being thoroughly broken in.

As you are new to the bike, it hasn't gotten you properly broken in.

Are you experiencing this "sensitive throttle" condition at relatively low speeds, i.e., riding around your neighborhood? This bike hates to be ridden this way.

You may be experiencing the "surging" phenomenon widely discussed on this board which can result from improprly adjusted valves in combination with the very lean fuel injection programming. Try keeping the revs up (preferably well above 2,500) and see if your throttle problem goes away.

As for the suspension, it is at least theoretically possible that you are experiencing some sticking in the front tubes or the shock if the bike sat for a while. Ride more and see if it loosens up and solves itself.

It took a couple thousand miles with the RT (after riding a Honda for a few years) before I got myself sorted out with the throttle and transmission for reasonably smooth operation, and my bike had the advantage of being thoroughly broken in.

Thanks Steve,

I had a complete 6000 mile service done by a very compentant independent BMW guru who also added a Techlusion unit to get rid of the awful surging problem. the bike is very smooth now...on the centerstand at any rpm with no hesitation at any staedy rpm, even between 3000 and 4000 rpm which it did before the service.

I do not lug the bike and try and keep the revs up as much as possible even around the neighborhood.

Once the bike is rolling down the road and on a very smooth road the bike is fine...the throttle a bit sensitive which I'm going to try and dampen just slightly with a throttlemeister. If you drive on a road that is not smooth..ripples tar strips, concrete road with tar strips, that is when the front end feels very stiff and the bike is not a smooth as it should be.

My plan of action for the present is to, as you suggest, get my self used to the bike and put more miles on it and see what happens.

If It still persists I will borrow a used front shock from my mechanic and put it on my bike to see if that does anything to smooth out the ride.

lenny

Try riding another R110RT and see if it the same as yours.

If someone won't lend you thiers, see if a dealer will let you 'test ride' one.

You then will have a pretty fair idea if it is truly a problem with your bike.

Andy

Try riding another R110RT and see if it the same as yours.

If someone won't lend you thiers, see if a dealer will let you 'test ride' one.

You then will have a pretty fair idea if it is truly a problem with your bike.

Andy

Good suggestion Andy. I did ride my friends R1100S and it did feel smoother but his bike has over 24,000 miles on it. He also rode my bike and said it did feel stiff but thought it wasn't that bad. Neither of us have really driven another RT so your suggestion is certainly worth trying.

Tipover_Bob

Did you try getting up to speed and pulling in the clutch. If the ride smooths out you would eliminate any surging as contributing to the stiffness.

My "new" bike really smoothed out after I followed the Rob Lentini "zero-zero" throttle body balance technique.

Tipover Bob

I doubt anything is going to "break in" or "unstick" enough to make the kind of change you describe you need.

It sounds to me as though your mechanic will eventually replace the front shock. When he has the bike on the centerstand and the shock off the bike (make sure there's enough weight on the rear wheel to keep the bike from falling forward), have him check the fork legs for smooth action. It's possible you have a bent leg or perhaps even a bent Telelever arm that is causing your problem.

Archived