IGNORED

K+N

Wyn

Doppelganger

What they are trying to say is the subject has been beat to death here. They are also saying the K&N doesn't live up to it's advertising.

Again, use the SEARCH mode.

russell_bynum
Who uses K+N air filters? Watta ya think?

ISYHTRAH

Definitely do a search.

In a nutshell...

IF the stock air filter was a bottleneck in the intake, AND IF the K&N filter flowed more air than the stock filter, THEN the K&N has the potential to give increased performance.

Dyno tests have shown that the air filter is NOT a bottleneck in the boxer's intake, therefore a K&N has no hope of increasing performance.

That's the answer to the performance question.

As for cost, it seems possible that you could save money by using a cleanable reusable filter like a K&N. You'll have to factor in the cost of the filter, cleaning solution, and filter oil over the however many years/miles you plan on keeping your bike to get a true answer to that.

Simplicity: You can either remove the stock filter, drop it in the trash, drop in a new filter, and be done with it. OR, you can remove the K&N, hose it down with nasty cleaning soluion, wash that off, wait for it to dry, apply filter oil (not too much or it'll make a mess, and not too little or it will not filter properly), reinstall the K&N and clean up the mess. For me, it's a no-brainer.

Then there's the question of filtration. Some folks claim to have seen evidence that the K&N doesn't do as good of a job as the stock paper filter. I don't know if that is true and if it is true, if it matters. i.e. Maybe it doesn't filter as well, but you'd only notice a difference after several hundred thousand miles...which VERY few bikes are likely to see. I don't know the answer to that one.

I know, I know, as I left for my ride I thought, Oh crap I forgot to search. Now I'm going to get a bunch of crap about it. Sorry!! I deserve it all. Call me what you will. It won't happen again.

Thanks for the info. though. I'm stayin stock.

ISYHTRAH

John Ferris
I have one, but only because it is a part of this package:

14_lg.gif

I'm certain it adds 15-17 HP grin.gif

Let me do the math, 15-17 = -2 HP

I have one, but only because it is a part of this package:

14_lg.gif

I'm certain it adds 15-17 HP grin.gif

Who makes this?

San Jose BMW

Part No. 0600SKIT

Powerflow Kit R11 Oilhead Series

Use our Powerflow intake kit for dramatic improvements for all oilhead twins (except S & Cruiser models). The kit includes intake duct, filter top, filter element and revised base. Requires installation kit for self-install, available for loan from San Jose BMW.

Go here and type in "powerflow" in the "search parts" box.

Here is my 2c. Dont walk, RUN away from K&N. Yep, I read all the hype and advertisement BS too.

I had one on my diesel truck. The engine gets regular oil analysis and has for the last 170,000 miles. The PPM of silicon(dirt) ran 4-5 every sample. I switched to a K&N and the silicon jumped to 34PPM. My other truck was switched to an Amosil two stage foam air filter and it's PPM silicon went to 38PPM. My mechanic had a K&N and his PPM of silicon was 35PPM. We went back to paper OEM filters and the silicon returned to 4-5PPM. The $60 K&N's & Amsoil junk went in the trash, where they belong.

After viewing several air filter comparo's, your figures certainly reinforce the results. I stay stock on my vehicles with 10k changes.

BTW - I do appreciate the lovely scenery on your avatar wink.gifgrin.gif

Tipover_Bob
Who uses K+N air filters? Watta ya think?

ISYHTRAH

K&N air filters can be great. I had a 1975 or so Yamaha RD 350 back in the late 1970s with expansion chambers and K&N air filters. It wasn't running too good until I went to the local tuner. He said that I had to increase the main jets to compensate for the reduced restriction with the K&Ns. He suggested we go from 135 stock jets to 170 jets. Wow! The power was amazing. You couldn't keep the front wheel on the pavement in first gear. Made me look like I knew what I was doing, even though the wheelys were scaring me to death.

Bottom line was, the stock air filters on the RD 350 had significant noise baffling because of the large amount of intake noise (wailing) coming from the two-stroke. When you put the K&Ns on, the air flow restriction was reduced and the wailing increased dramatically. This is not the case on most cars and bikes today. Installing a K&N does not change the intake air flow characteristics and therefore there is no power increase. Just an increased dollar flow from your pocket. K&N is living on their past fame from examples such as my RD 350. However, there is one possible benefit: You may get increased intake noise from a K&N. Psychologically, people believe they are going faster if they make more noise.

Tipover Bob

If you have to run a filter and are more concerned with increased h.p. than engine cleanliness/engine life, then a K&N will be fine. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice grin.gif

After viewing several air filter comparo's, your figures certainly reinforce the results. I stay stock on my vehicles with 10k changes.

BTW - I do appreciate the lovely scenery on your avatar wink.gifgrin.gif

I got told by Admin that avatar wasnt acceptable. Send me your email and you can have a larger version. I like it too.

That is actually wifey, she is a model and rides her own R-1100R. She was in a wild mood one day and I had the camera thumbsup.gif

I guess I just get used to seeing her model clothes and bathing suits all the time. Sorry if it wasn't appropriate for here dopeslap.gif I didnt mean to offend anyone. She really has a suit on, really. Note: That is NOT normal riding attire, just a one time thing.

I have used many a K&N in cars and bikes for the last 17 years.

After the last K&N ruined my MAF in my 2000 Maxima, I will no longer run them. I went to a filter that uses stabilized silicon instead of oil. I will probably go to a dry filter next time.

K&N is not a bad product but there are better options out there.

If you are going to run a cotton reusable filter, I suggest Green filters. Much better built product, general quality is better than a K&N, they use woven cotton instead of cheap gauze. Woven cotton offers a more consistent filtering medium.

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/

Green filters are not cheap though.

I personally run a stock filter. This info comes from my research and information provided by my peers. So take it for what it's worth.

I used them on my 1150RT.

Removed them after 1200 miles.

I was getting consistently better performance and fuel mileage without them.

I shall stick with the stock items - they do work well after all!

Andy

Archived