IGNORED

2008 Buell 1125-R

W. Mazelin

DavidEBSmith

I was interested until I found the part where they talk about the "athletic riding position". Leaves me out. grin.gif

I was interested until I found the part where they talk about the "athletic riding position". Leaves me out. grin.gif

Actually, the lean forward position doesn't look as "agressive" as most sport bikes. But yikes! Check out the VERY rear-set foot pegs.

steveknapp

I'm drooling.

Also some updated for the Uly as well. New EFI (old was pretty good), new forks with more turn/lock.

I'm drooling.

Also some updated for the Uly as well. New EFI (old was pretty good), new forks with more turn/lock.

And heated grips.

W. Mazelin
I'm drooling.

And heated grips.

The heated grips are also available for the the other bikes in the XB line-up. lurker.gif

baggerchris

I am happy to see this, as I believe it is another way for Harley to dip their collective feets in the liquid cooled engine department. I sincerely hope that they get with the program and put the Vrod engine in a class frame instead of the hard suspension/windy version they are using now.

The heated grips are also available for the the other bikes in the XB line-up. lurker.gif

But the heated grips are now standard on the Uly.

"Heated hand grips are now standard equipment on the 2008 Ulysses. The grips are rated at 18 watts per side on the High setting and 11 watts per side on the Low setting."

steveknapp

And the "upgrade kit" is $200ish. Which is a bit steep when you consider that there are other kits that run $25ish.

But for a factory solve, nice.

I am happy to see this, as I believe it is another way for Harley to dip their collective feets in the liquid cooled engine department. I sincerely hope that they get with the program and put the Vrod engine in a class frame instead of the hard suspension/windy version they are using now.

Amen, bro. I was stoked when I thought I could finally get a Porsche powered bike, until I actually saw the Vrod.

... I sincerely hope that they get with the program and put the Vrod engine in a class frame instead of the hard suspension/windy version they are using now.

Perhaps a bagger, chris? lmao.gif

Seriously, a V-rod powered electra glide would rock!!!

I would imagine that a sport touring version of this bike isn't going to be too far off...that would really give the GTR1400 and FJR a run.

those huge air dams on the sides look a bit unsightly along with the exhaust. other than that the bike looks OK but not for me.

I prefer the look & the seating position of the XB-12-Ss Lightning long, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for that portion of the model line. More than likely all the V-twin bikes will get this new powerplant.

More than likely all the V-twin bikes will get this new powerplant.

I doubt it.......that would be like BMW saying the next version of the R bikes will be liquid cooled. Part of the allure (if you will) of the standard line of Buells is the air cooled V-Twin.

More than likely all the V-twin bikes will get this new powerplant.

I doubt it.......that would be like BMW saying the next version of the R bikes will be liquid cooled. Part of the allure (if you will) of the standard line of Buells is the air cooled V-Twin.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next generation of "R" bikes are water-pumpers. I bet they're already working on the replacement of the R-1200 series engine. BMW can do it (has done it, as a matter of fact), and with ever tighter emission/noise restrictions they might be forced to take that course. I agree with you about the simplicity of an air/oil cooled engine but the days of that system could well be numbered; and I hope I'm wrong.

• 1 month later...

Don't be fooled by the "sportbike" moniker. This is a "real world" sportbike. Even for my 6'5", 235lb frame, it's pretty civil.

The dealer show was in Nashville this year, and I just happened to wander down there and ran into Erik Buell. With his permission, I took a seat on the bike. It's really pretty comfortable. I'd say it is more comfortable than a VFR.

P1010019.jpg

I chatted with Erik and Abe Askenazi, a Buell engineer (arms folded in the background of the pic). Nice fellas. They are very excited about the bike.

I would imagine that a sport touring version of this bike isn't going to be too far off...that would really give the GTR1400 and FJR a run.

I'd seriously consider an ST based on this platform. This bike looks like it rocks!

I think Erik was once quoted saying no more ST bikes for Buell, at least traditional ones with custom bags and the like. The Uly bags are re badged Heppo-Becker's. The gist was the tooling for all the luggage and whatnot was just too expensive and hard to pay back.

Then again, their last ST bike wasn't exactly known to be world class, right? smile.gif

My hopes for this platform crossing into other bikes isn't that high. They are still pretty gung-ho about the thunderstorm V-twin, having just given it some upgrades for 08. It's a really nice motor to ride, or at least for me it is. I'd put a 1125 next to the Uly in the garage in a heartbeat, just not sure when I'd ride it compared to the Uly. Same thoughts for a Triumph 675... But that's just me.

Lone_RT_rider

I understand where you are coming from Steve. If I lived in the Chi-town area, I am pretty sure my R1100S would have a lot less miles on it. Given the choice of the Uly or an 1125 for your riding mission, I am sure I would be hopping on the Uly at least 90% of the time.

Shawn

Don't know if anyone got their latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News this month, but there was a write up from a design perspective on the 1125 (from Glen Kerr, I believe)... wasn't too keen on this bike's design, made some interesting comments about it (most of which I agreed with, particularly the front end design and it's proportions - he did not like it)... check it out in this month's issue.

Don't know if anyone got their latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News this month, but there was a write up from a design perspective on the 1125 (from Glen Kerr, I believe)... wasn't too keen on this bike's design, made some interesting comments about it (most of which I agreed with, particularly the front end design and it's proportions - he did not like it)... check it out in this month's issue.

He's never liked Buell's and his article, IMHO, almost seemed bitter. "I told Willie his market would shrink, H-D needs a sportbike..."

Re the 1125-R, My God, the local HD dealer (who likes to sneer at the Buells) will be beside himself in disgust. grin.gif Appealing bike, but I don't think the ergos would work for me.

Two nice improvements on the Ulysses though that address two negatives I noticed on test rides...

- Steering sweep lock-to-lock is increased to 74 degrees from 54 degrees to reduce the turning radius in off-road low-speed maneuvers.

- New air guides positioned on the tail section of the Ulysses deflect engine heat away from the rider’s legs.

- New air guides positioned on the tail section of the Ulysses deflect engine heat away from the rider’s legs.

In classic buell fashion, a $20-something part kit you can easily retrofit to the 06/07 bikes.

The fork mods is more $$$. But I don't really miss the steering lock that much, but I'm not hard-core off road guy.

John Bentall

It will be interesting to see where Harley are going to go for advice on how to make a bike handle at 150mph on a German autobahn with loaded saddlebags.

Initial German reports woud suggest that Kawasaki have failed in this regard with the new Concours.

Initial German reports woud suggest that Kawasaki have failed in this regard with the new Concours.

Uh, say what? Where did you read that? First I heard of this.

John Bentall

Uh, say what? Where did you read that? First I heard of this.

Motorrad issue 18/2007 page 31, 4th paragraph on the page

"surprisingly there is a noticeble weave from the GTR above 200 kph (125) mph with loaded saddlebags"

Surely this of academic interest in the USA?!

They said no more than that and let it rest there and did not describe it as dangerous or particularly un-nerving.

It boggles my mind that there is still no real VROD touring or sport touring configuration.

It boggles my mind that there is still no real VROD touring or sport touring configuration.

Why? H-D doesn't do "sport", why would they do a "sports-tourer?" It seems to be outside of their core expertise.

It will be interesting to see where Harley are going to go for advice on how to make a bike handle at 150mph on a German autobahn with loaded saddlebags.

...never ridden a modern Buell, eh?

Archived