IGNORED

R1150RT Top Case

KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit

Any recommendations on a top case for my 04 R1150RT? BMW or GIVI? The wife and I hope to do a bit of touring so I'd like an integrated backrest for the better half.

Thanks,

Dan

Sidmariner

The BMW case looks better, but it's pretty shallow. You can get a full faced helmet in it, if you take everything else out and place the helmet carefully.

The GIVI is huge, with room for two helmets in some cases. The optional lighting option is very Goldwing-like.

I'd go with the BMW case for solo riding and consider the GIVI for two up.

I used to have an 03 RT with the factory top case and loved it for the looks and added storage as well as a rest for my passenger but when I got an 04 I opted for the Givi 52 liter with built in brake light because it was cheaper and larger. The Givi is a fine top case, perhaps better in that it is easy to open, close and remove. The storage is emense, fitting two full face helmets or a tent and sleeping bags but the one thing I didn't like is that it looks huge, sort of like a flying saucer on the rear of the bike. I missed having the more stream lined look of the factory case and switched to a used one I found on this site. With that said I guess what I'm saying is that the Givi 52 liter IS a better and more functional case if you don't mind it not being "factory" in the looks department. Now that I have the factory top case again with a nice back pad for my daughter, I still can't convince myself to sell the Givi. I know that on the next long trip or camping adventure I'll remove the factory case and put on the Givi. You can bring a weeks worth of stuff in it and I dont even have a tank bag yet! If you get a Givi though don't get the Givi back pad. Find an aftermarket one that is more comfortable and you can easily install it yourself.

I'd keep it. You can always switch cases if you need more room for a particular trip.

Nubb came with a Givi. I think it's a 49? I don't like the way it looks either. In fact I don't use it unless I'm riding 2 up, which is seldom. My family has no sense of adventure.

I really like the BMW case. Looks much more OEM. As you said though it is quite a bit smaller.

ISYHTRAH

No contest.

GIVI.

If it were about looks, you'd ride w/out a topcase. grin.gif

GIVI also changed the backrest pad to a softer version about 1 1/2 years ago. My wife likes it.

moshe_levy

I have the perspective of having experience with both. My '04 Rt came with the 33 liter factory topcase, and my fiance's R1150R was recently outfitted with a Givi Maxia 52 liter case for our cross country tour in May. Here it is

r1150rgivi.jpg

In my humble opinion, the Givi case destroys the BMW case in every category except for looks, and not because it's a bad design, but because it's quite hard to make a giant 52 liter case look sleek.

The Givi case is of better quality, the rack is certainly more stout (supports made of metal on the "R" model - not sure about the RT) and the integrated brake lights are trick. It has many options available including a backrest pad, top rack, inner liner, and nylon case bag (which I recommend because you never have to guess how much you can fit in). Best of all, it's FAR cheaper than the BMW equivalent. I don't see a contest here...

-MKL

My '03RT has a factory top case, and I've not used a Givi (however, there are lots of good endorsements here and elsewhere).

I would offer one word of caution about either case.

Weight

Pay attention to their respective weight limitations. With a 52L Givi (or the BMW top case, for that matter) should you load it with heavy objects, you will be balancing a LOT of weight very high on the back of your bike. While I'd appreciate more storage back there, I watched one fellow at last years Top of the Rockies Rally, load his Givi with all his food and several bottles of water. With the rest of his camping gear, he struggled to get the bike of the side stand. I would recommend that bulky lightweight items be carried in the top case, with heavier items being stowed in the side cases (lower on the bike).

Mike O

In my humble opinion, the Givi case destroys the BMW case in every category except for looks, and not because it's a bad design, but because it's quite hard to make a giant 52 liter case look sleek.....

Best of all, it's FAR cheaper than the BMW equivalent. I don't see a contest here...

-MKL

Ditto here. I rode with the BMW case for 3 years then switched. The Givi is head and shoulders more useful, especially for two-up. We easily fit two two-piece Roadcrafter suites with all the pads. It's so useful that I got over the looks to the point that I usually no longer ride one up with the side cases.

Regarding the back rest, my wife likes the Givi better without the rest. She says the rest lost the molded slightly concave shape which she finds comfortable. You may want your riding partner to try it without first.

It is a no brainer man. The Givi beats up the BMW case all day long for function and the case blends in with the seat, tires, and black trim on the bike.

wbrissette

You may also want to look at the Hepco & Becker TC40 topcase. This is a very nice topcase, and I'm planning on putting this on my wife's 1150R in a couple of months (once she starts riding it more than just around the parking lot).

Wayne

KingBiscuit

Thanks for all the feedback. That pic shows that the Givi is big, that's for sure. OK, will look at all 3 mentioned and go vrom there.

Thanks again,

Dan

Personally I like the stock look so my preference was for the 33L BMW topcase. Darned if I was going to pay the local stealer their price of $425 so I kept watching the adds at the Beemerboneyard. I think I watched their web site for about 4 months, couple times a week before they posted a new topcase that was still available by the time I saw it. Picked it up for $275...as far as I could tell it was brand new! grin.gif

Archived