IGNORED

Stupid Deer !!!

Flyer5

Left early for work Friday morning about 4am it was a little foggy and very dark . My commute is all rural roads its usually a nice ride . I was moseying along slowly about 50mph . I see Bambi on the side of the road ahead not out of the norm for this area usually they stay there ,not her she started running away from me then back towards the road .I was already slowing and moved to the other lane she just kept coming. Her point of impact would be about my foot peg, my survival instincts kicked in and I stuck my right leg out to block and the bottom of my boot caught her right behind the ear and pushed her down and away . I hit the throttle and got away .My hip took the brunt of the impact kinda sore especially while riding . But could have been worse . I guess I have to fill my bonus tags this hunting season .Dave

It sounds like you did everything right Flyer5, that would have scared the s#*t out of me!!! ooo.gif Glad you came out of it okay. thumbsup.gif

W. Mazelin

If ever there was a redundant title to a thread, this one has it! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Glad you came out of it OK, good on ya'!

Thanks . I have to say I was a little paranoid riding even a few days later . At the time it was happening it wasn't funny but thinking about it now ,how many times do you get to kick a deer in the head . lmao.gif

how many times do you get to kick a deer in the head . lmao.gif

Not enough.

And 5 months from now I will be spending 10+ hours a day sitting in the woods looking for one, and the little bastards will be no where around...... lmao.gif

Matts_12GS

Not enough.

And 5 months from now I will be spending 10+ hours a day sitting in the woods looking for one, and the little bastards will be no where around...... lmao.gif

Maybe you should hunt from your bike? wave.gif

Not enough.

Not up here usually I see quite a few on the first day . I usually let them pass also unless they are real nice deer,and I usually only fill one tag . This year that may change though ,I may have to fill a stringer grin.gif. Dave

Not up here usually I see quite a few on the first day . I usually let them pass also unless they are real nice deer,and I usually only fill one tag . This year that may change though ,I may have to fill a stringer grin.gif. Dave

I passed up up two the first day last year......little did I know that it was the ONLY two I was going to see the rest of season. Its tough down here.......you have to know someone to find a decent place to hunt. I have free run to hunt about 25-30 acres, but it is tough hunting.

My question below is prompted by the previous comment that you did the right thing. And, mind you, my intent is not to say you did not do the right thing. I just wish to explore this a little further.

Since this story could have easily had a different ending, I am just curious if you had sufficient time to slow more, even stopping if need be, and avoid contact altogether. Or, if seeing deer in your area is such a common place, everyday non-event, that you have "learned" to take your chances and roll the dice, so to speak, on the chance that Bambi will not act like Bambi and turn right into you?

"I see Bambi on the side of the road ahead not out of the norm for this area usually they stay there... " [emphasis added] The only thing predictable about forest rats is they are unpredictable. Glad things turned out the way it did.

Its tough down here.......you have to know someone to find a decent place to hunt. I have free run to hunt about 25-30 acres, but it is tough hunting.
Come visit us in California. I forget sometimes how congested the NE can be. Lassen National Forest is over 1.2 million acres and we have many, many national forests. Forest rats are everywhere too.
My question below is prompted by the previous comment that you did the right thing. And, mind you, my intent is not to say you did not do the right thing. I just wish to explore this a little further.

Since this story could have easily had a different ending, I am just curious if you had sufficient time to slow more, even stopping if need be, and avoid contact altogether. Or, if seeing deer in your area is such a common place, everyday non-event, that you have "learned" to take your chances and roll the dice, so to speak, on the chance that Bambi will not act like Bambi and turn right into you?

"I see Bambi on the side of the road ahead not out of the norm for this area usually they stay there... " [emphasis added] The only thing predictable about forest rats is they are unpredictable. Glad things turned out the way it did.

Its hard to say what would have worked better . If I didn't slow as much as I did I would have been way in front and never even knew she turned back . If I stop every time I see a deer I would never get anywhere . If I didn't swerve to the other side of the road I would have hit her front on . It happened pretty fast and at around 4am .I also thought she was going away (she went out of the lit up area of my headlight )didnt see her again till she was closing back on the bike. The only thing I got from it was you never know what they will do . Maybe I will have to try deer whistles . Maybe she had a good lesson and will stay further from the traffic . She was a mid size deer so not real old maybe a little better than 100lbs . I got lucky thats all there is,but I also got revenge for her trying to kill me . Dave

Dave,

Thanks for sharing some more detail. I hope you understand I wasn't trying to second guess your actions. I am sure you did what needed to be done at the time. But we all learn when the the rest of the story is told.

Glad it turned out as well as it did. thumbsup.gif

There is also the concern that the deer can attack you, usually only male deer in mating season, but the damn things are plenty stupid. Don't assume that it will try to flee, they occasionally stand there ground and defend themselves. dopeslap.gif

Its tough down here.......you have to know someone to find a decent place to hunt. I have free run to hunt about 25-30 acres, but it is tough hunting.
Come visit us in California. I forget sometimes how congested the NE can be. Lassen National Forest is over 1.2 million acres and we have many, many national forests. Forest rats are everywhere too.

Its not congested around here......there are plenty of wooded areas, farms, and deer. The problem is.....they are all posted as private property, and land owners are hesitant to allow hunters because of liability reasons. We have plenty of State forrest also, but sometimes its like taking your life into your own hands out there (too many trigger happy hunters that only take their rifles out for hunting season). A few years ago I went hunting with a buddy of mine up near State College (right in the middle of PA). It is basicly the middle of nowhere. I was in the woods for about 3 hours and it was like a war zone. I had a bullet ricochet off a tree that was no more than 15 yards from me. That was enough for me......I spent the rest of the week in the cabin drinking beer and plinking targets in the backyard with my .22

The hardest thing about hunting the area I do is that it is so very hilly and thick (LOTS of mountain laurel). The longest shot you can usually take from a tree stand is maybe 40-50 yards, and 20-30 yards on the ground. I would probably be better off with a bow and arrow, but I don't practice enough to feel comfortable taking a shot at a deer. I know I could hit it, but I don't think I have the consistancy to make sure that my first shot is a kill shot. I'm not OK with that.

Its not congested around here......there are plenty of wooded areas, farms, and deer. The problem is.....they are all posted as private property, and land owners are hesitant to allow hunters because of liability reasons. We have plenty of State forrest also, but sometimes its like taking your life into your own hands out there (too many trigger happy hunters that only take their rifles out for hunting season).
LMAO!! Friend, what you described is max density. West of the Mississippi, there are more deer than people and more land than you can hunt.
LMAO!! Friend, what you described is max density. West of the Mississippi, there are more deer than people and more land than you can hunt.

I know......I've been there. I agree with you 100%, but thats where I live and thats what I have to put up with if I want deer meat on the table. Its pretty hard to justify a hunting expedition to the other side of the US just to get some steaks and deer balogna. It doesn't seem very cost effective to me.

I highly recommend the GE M-61. cool.gif Clears the brush and the 'forest rats'. tongue.giflmao.giflmao.gif
Lets see, Uly+sidecar+M-61. What a combination... clap.gif
Come visit us in California.... Forest rats are everywhere too.

West of the Mississippi, there are more deer than people and more land than you can hunt.

We were talking about this at work a couple weeks ago so I looked up some numbers. California and Pennsylvania are not even close when it comes to deer hunting opportunities (I didn't look for population estimates only numbers killed by hunters).

The most recent info I could find was 2004 - California hunters killed 35-40,000 deer; Pennsylvania hunters more than 400,000 (and in 2000 - 2002 it was around 500,000).

I went back to one of the websites I found that graphs deer kills by state. Unfortunately the data wasn't complete so I'm missing a few "western" states (I left out Texas on purpose tongue.gif ). Estimating from the graphs for the most recent year available (and assuming the data is accurate) there were +/- 310,000 deer killed in Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming combined.

Bill_Walker
I don't know about you guys, but I intend to brush up on my Tae Kwon DOE...

You're BUCKing to get yourself banned with puns like that!

The most recent info I could find was 2004 - California hunters killed 35-40,000 deer; Pennsylvania hunters more than 400,000 (and in 2000 - 2002 it was around 500,000).

Stop you're scaring me from riding eek.gif . I have taken at least / usually 1 deer every year hunting . I hunt my own land so I do know there habits through out the season that helps . Plus I don't trust hunters on game lands ,too many close calls . Dave

Could there have been more than 1 deer?

Im not trying to dismiss "The Magic Deer" theory, Im sure the deer could have run off and come back at you, from the grassy knoll and all.......

Seriously, when I see them around the road Im more worried about the ones you cant see. Most of the time there is more than one around.

Quick thinking with the foot kick, dont know if I would be that sharp at 4am.

Could there have been more than 1 deer?

Im not trying to dismiss "The Magic Deer" theory, Im sure the deer could have run off and come back at you, from the grassy knoll and all.......

Seriously, when I see them around the road Im more worried about the ones you cant see. Most of the time there is more than one around.

Quick thinking with the foot kick, dont know if I would be that sharp at 4am.

I guess there could have been but I doubt it. It looked the same size and came out of the same area and from the angle she would have been . I didnt lose sight of her for very long . The foot thing was just a reaction and I got lucky ,if I had put any thought into it I probably would have missed . I guess my reflexes haven't slowed down too much yet. There was also some evasive maneuvering involved the leg going out was a last resort the hip still hurts a little . But still better than if I hit the road . Dave

Dave don't tell Emily about that one for a while. Glad you reacted. Things happen pretty damn fast.In the last three and a half weeks, 9000plus miles I've had 5 deer jump out in front of me, two were close. The antelope are the ones that give me the willys. Also spotted two dead moose, that would really take the wind out of your sail. Hope you got the photos,glad you survived. clap.gif

Archived